Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pierzynski DFA'd (Rosenthal Rumor)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the twins should pick him up. Boston has to pay his salary right? And the twins could always trade him and suski or just one of them. We could pry get him cheap

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    wasnt the manager Boston let go manager of the year with cleveland the next year? Maybe they should fire their current manger after this year if the team doesnt make the playoffs

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I am reading things incorrectly on this thread, but I think we are forgetting about the Bobby Valentine massacre in 2012 for the BoSox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Maybe I am reading things incorrectly on this thread, but I think we are forgetting about the Bobby Valentine massacre in 2012 for the BoSox.
    Bark, you're right; my memory error. Thanks for pointing it out - and the really decent way you pointed it out.

However, even with the head-scratching error of hiring Valentine, wouldn't you agree that cleaning house after that mistake and winning the World Series the next year more than makes up for it, if you're a Sox fan? Francona, a talented manager, for some reason wasn't working out and at least the Red Sox took action before staleness and mediocrity settled into the working relationship (possibly, their wunderkind GM wasn't working out either and something happened to end that relationship, also, with future success for the Sox). After getting the action wrong the first time, they cleaned it up promptly and achieved top success.

It's better than going year after year with the same musicians repeatedly playing "Tomorrow" from Annie, while talking about how good their band once was.

-DA
    "Where's the Crede?"

5. These 2 users like Deduno Abides's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-10-2014), jokin (07-09-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Here is a Strib article talking more about the situation. Sounds like his personality was a major factor here, if not the deciding factor.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Yeah, deadspin had a piece on it today. Sounds like the clubhouse hated him and ran him out of town.

Meh, Boston is a sinking ship this year, which is hilarious.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    I guess the thing I don't understand is couldn't the Sox find a trading partner for AJ? There are 3 or 4 teams that might need catching help and I would think they could have traded him for at least a bucket of balls. I just don't understand the DFA in this scenario.

As I have stated before I am no lover of AJ the person or some of his antics as a player but he has been a good and durable catcher for a long time and I can appreciate how good he has been over his career. I just thought he could have been traded.

Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't help but remember the posters here this spring who suggested we needed the edge in the locker room AJ would bring. It seems the edge may actually have turned out to be poison, according to this report from a Boston radio station: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/ba...-anybody-could

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here is a Strib article talking more about the situation. Sounds like his personality was a major factor here, if not the deciding factor.
    That surely caught Boston by surprise. This gentleman has been in the league for merely 17 seasons. As far as I know, there have never been any questions about his demeanor on or off the field. How were they to know?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    Another example of the difference between the Red Sox and the Twins.

Management selection:

Red Sox: bad year in 2012 leads to the firing of a two-time World Series winning manager. Twins: three consecutive 90-loss seasons leads to a two-year contract extension for a manager who has won one play-off series in his career.

Drafting and player development (recent examples):

In 2011, Red Sox drafted Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Mookie Betts after Twins drafted Levi (sure thing) Michael. In 2010, Red Sox drafted Brandon Workman and Garin Cecchini after Twins drafted Alex (sure thing) Wimmers.

Advanced metrics:

Red Sox: invested heavily and early, including hiring one of the gurus of advanced metrics. Twins: "after being one of the last teams to pay attention to advanced metrics, we hired this guy named Jack, who you never heard of before, and we can't really tell you the specific ways he provides input to our decisions."

Roster strategies:

Red Sox: team not meeting expectations in 2012 and 2014 - reduce veterans and salaries, bring up young players to get them experience and see how they perform. Twins: team not meeting expectations in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 - "let's get more veteran players who have never or rarely been considered all-star quality and if they have the best year of their career, well, let's keep them for future years instead of trading them for players who can help in the future;" also, let younger players know they have to "prove it" in the minors before bringing them up, unless roster planning emergencies cause "no other choice" promotions.

Red Sox: three World Series titles in ten years. Twins: three top ten draft choices in three years (and closing in on four in four).
    Red Sox: 1.587 billion in payroll last 10 years
    Twins: 845 million in payroll last 10 years.

Almost seems like a significant resource advantage should be considered, no? I mean, that extra 700m+ had to be worth at least one win.

12. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    One has to wonder if this happened after the All-Star break if it would motivate Ryan to shop Suzuki ASAP while working on a deal to bring in a still servicable name-brand veteran catcher.

No way Suzuki gets moved and wears a different uniform at Target Field's All-Star game next week.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Red Sox: 1.587 billion in payroll last 10 years
    Twins: 845 million in payroll last 10 years.

Almost seems like a significant resource advantage should be considered, no? I mean, that extra 700m+ had to be worth at least one win.
    Agreed, the Red Sox willingness to spend and the Twins unwillingness to do so is another great demerit to hold against the front office. However, bringing it up might derail the thread.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Agreed, the Red Sox willingness to spend and the Twins unwillingness to do so is another great demerit to hold against the front office. However, bringing it up might derail the thread.
    Wow, just wow.

Senior Member All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yes, because the Red Sox and Twins bring in the exact same amount of revenue each year, and the markets are pretty much the exact same.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's yahoosports.com report on l'affair AJ. The writer seems to put the blame more on the club than the player, but it looks to me that AJ wasn't a good fit in Boston.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...155121233.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Seems the Twins aren't the organization that smear players on their way out.

(And for the record, accusations against the Twins on this are blown way out of proportion imo).
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Seems the Twins aren't the organization that smear players on their way out.

(And for the record, accusations against the Twins on this are blown way out of proportion imo).
    Well, no one in Boston's organization or associated with the team is saying things publicly. It's sources and sportswriters. That's a bit different than Bert spending a month saying Kevin Slowey likes black licorice and hurting adorable puppies.

So seems to me you're trying to make some kind of comparison here that isn't really relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Wow, just wow.
    I'm not sure why your scarecrow argument was any better than the one that responded to it. Perhaps your point would be valid if you compared the percentage of revenue spent over the years, but just the raw numbers? That's a lot of context you omitted to generate a scarecrow to an thought-provoking post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, no one in Boston's organization or associated with the team is saying things publicly. It's sources and sportswriters. That's a bit different than Bert spending a month saying Kevin Slowey likes black licorice and hurting adorable puppies.

So seems to me you're trying to make some kind of comparison here that isn't really relevant.
    Can we please stop bringing up Slowey period? It is apparent that Slowey was never a legit MLB pitcher.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast