Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Johnson Promoted

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Long term, I think Johnson (or maybe Darnell) inherit Duensing's role in the pen as lefty setup guy.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

One thing to consider with the Johnson call up is that the rotation spot he would be taking is Nolasco's. If and when Nolasco returns, he would get his spot back. Johnson, or whomever is holding his spot in the rotation, will be sent back to the minors, bullpen or dfa'd when he returns. A possible Myer rotation spot would most likely be given to him for the duration of the season, not just on a temporary basis as the Nolasco DL situation has presented.

To make room for the Johnson call up, the most logical move would be to send Pino down to Rochester after his last start before the all star break. He could continue to pitch at AAA during the break. Since the Twins will be playing under NL rules for the final three games before the break they could keep the extra position player.

It makes more sense to wait until after the all star break to make more significant roster moves.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    i am okay with this. May is on the DL Meyer is on a strict innings pictch count limit. I believe Meyer gets his shot later and May once off the Dl will take a couple of turns in the rotation in Roc then take the fifth spot in the rotation or Corrias when he is traded
    I am not OK with this. Johnson and Pino = Walters, Devries, etc as another poster noted. None are still with us. The fact that Meyer and May might be next in line does not make it OK for me that they are in line behind these guys. AAA numbers or not, these guys are not on the 2016 team and probably not on the 2015 team.

I think many are simply conditioned by bizarre roster moves at this point.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 07-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Long term, I think Johnson (or maybe Darnell) inherit Duensing's role in the pen as lefty setup guy.
    Agreed.

However, I still don't think Duensing is gone soon. Forget that he's a good guy and an organization guy. Despite not having elite status, and thus not tremendous trade value, he's a good role guy and a lot of teams would love to have him. I could see the Twins go with Darnell or Johnson in the pen next season and ride 3 LH's and 3 RH's with Perkins closing.
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duke Welker who we acquired for Morneau then traded back to Pittsburg for Johnson was Designated for assignment. food for thought but not too relevant other than to point out that TR got the better of that deal.
    I do believe that Johnson could be a member of our bullpen and a spot starter for us. He has value. The question is do the Twins sign Deunsing to a 3 year contract after this season before he reaches free agency? The money's there, he's earned it and is from Nebraska why not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am not OK with this. Johnson and Pino = Walters, Devries, etc as another poster noted. None are still with us. The fact that Meyer and May might be next in line does not make it OK for me that they are in line behind these guys. AAA numbers or not, these guys are not on the 2016 team and probably not on the 2015 team.

I think many are simply conditioned by bizarre roster moves at this point.
    You know, even if I wanted to, it would be hard to argue with you on this point.

Except, forgoing injuries, Nolasco, and yes, even Pelfrey would be in the rotation and there wouldn't be a need for Pino and Johnson. Further, I just have to believe May would also be up if not for his calf. The one difference from now to the past few years is, previously, I think the Twins were stuck with counting on guys like Walters. Now...whatever role they do or do not ultimately carve out...they are using Pino and Johnson simply because injury is forcing the issue.
    --Lou Brown

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    You know, even if I wanted to, it would be hard to argue with you on this point.

Except, forgoing injuries, Nolasco, and yes, even Pelfrey would be in the rotation and there wouldn't be a need for Pino and Johnson. Further, I just have to believe May would also be up if not for his calf. The one difference from now to the past few years is, previously, I think the Twins were stuck with counting on guys like Walters. Now...whatever role they do or do not ultimately carve out...they are using Pino and Johnson simply because injury is forcing the issue.
    Except, the Twins own actions suggest otherwise, as has been oft-stated today, the Twins assigned May to the Futures Game on June 25, indicating that they had no intention of promoting May before the ASG.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Except, the Twins own actions suggest otherwise, as has been oft-stated today, the Twins assigned May to the Futures Game on June 25, indicating that they had no intention of promoting May before the ASG.
    Except, we don't know what the intentions were post Futures Game. Forgetting May is in his first season of AAA, NOT a detrimate to his promotion, just a fact to consider, considering his overly excellent season, his potential, opportunity that has risen, a full half season of Rochester under his belt...my opinion...he wasn't going anywhere after the game.

Just because May was picked for the Futures Game doesn't mean he wasn't staying. I don't have the Rochester rotation handy, but wouldn't he have had at least one more start, if not two, before the Futures Games? One or two more starts before an appearance in the FG, which would probably be a thrill and an accomplishment for May, before making his first ML start. My guess as to the plan.
    --Lou Brown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Duke Welker who we acquired for Morneau then traded back to Pittsburg for Johnson was Designated for assignment. food for thought but not too relevant other than to point out that TR got the better of that deal.
    I do believe that Johnson could be a member of our bullpen and a spot starter for us. He has value. The question is do the Twins sign Deunsing to a 3 year contract after this season before he reaches free agency? The money's there, he's earned it and is from Nebraska why not.
    Interesting about Welker. Another player who ate himself out of the game, or did whatever to get himself out of the game.

Johnson might be a solid long-mid-LOOGY type, I agree. 3 LH's in the pen?

Deunsing is not a bank breaker. But he's a solid, good guy to have around. Ideally, Thielbar becomes an 8th inning option with Deunsing doing what he does best, hold down the 6-7th innings. And yes, he's a Nebraska boy. Go Big Red! Lol

On a side note, good for Morneau to have found a home in Colorado. And if he had stuck around another season, who knows if he would have found himself again or not. But with 20-20 hindsight, and more and more we learn about concussion syndrome, you have to wonder, don't you, what would have happened if Morneau were still a Twin, sharing 1B and DH with Mauer?
    --Lou Brown

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    I'm really interested in what happens with the roster between July 16th and July 31st. Seems like the Twins might be making a lot of moves, or they might surprise everyone and be relatively quiet.

Kris Johnson, as noted above, is taking Nolasco's spot in the rotation. When Nolasco is off the DL, he'll be back in the rotation again. Johnson will be back in AAA. If/when Meyer and May are called up, they should be called up to stay.

My guess is after the break the healthier of the two will take Pino's spot as soon as they are able.

11. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I've actually come to terms this was going to happen and I'm ok with it. Not good with it, just ok. I hope he pitches well. Mostly, I just hope it is a spot start and not a regular job. I was joking about the firing Ryan part (at least mid-season).
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'd like to see Meyer, not going to throw a fit about it quite yet.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I am disappointed for all of those of us that want to see the elite players up here. But, I am very happy for Mr. Johnson. I hope he dominates.
    Lighten up Francis....

14. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-10-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I won't speculate on why they do what they do, I will only judge them on what they do. So far, we have seen Pino, Deduno, Johnson get starts, and not Meyer and May. That is certainly not how I would gather information about Meyer and help prep him for next year.....
    Lighten up Francis....

16. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    I get the sense that the Twins have been focused for the first half of the year on being possible contenders this year. They haven't been focused on next year (at least for the ML club), and that does make some sense to me.
    Now that the standings are what they are at mid-season, I think they will start making moves that look forward to 2015.

18. These 3 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-10-2014), gunnarthor (07-10-2014), stringer bell (07-10-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I get the sense that the Twins have been focused for the first half of the year on being possible contenders this year. They haven't been focused on next year (at least for the ML club), and that does make some sense to me.
    Now that the standings are what they are at mid-season, I think they will start making moves that look forward to 2015.
    I agree. They gave it the old college try and not only has the record showed they aren't quite there, but they showed that they need more talent than is on the roster. The Tigers (in the Central), the Angels, Mariners and Royals (for the Wild Card) have separated themselves, so now it is time to pay attention to 2015. This will mean plenty of at-bats for Danny Santana and certainly starts for May, if not Meyer. I'm sure they would like to give Meyer and May a taste, perhaps 10 starts as Gibson had last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    I think I agree with whoever posted above that when Meyer/May are up, they will be up to stay unlike Johnson/Pino who are here as fillers. It just doesn't make sense to call up either May or Meyer for one start and send them back now. Now obviously Pino has gotten a few starts however he still has the feeling of a stop gap who at best will be moved to the bullpen. When you call up May and Meyer they are going to be given long leashes in the rotation where as Pino/Johnson will have much shorter leashes on when they get sent back down.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I think I agree with whoever posted above that when Meyer/May are up, they will be up to stay unlike Johnson/Pino who are here as fillers.

It just doesn't make sense to call up either May or Meyer for one start and send them back now.

Now obviously Pino has gotten a few starts however he still has the feeling of a stop gap who at best will be moved to the bullpen. When you call up May and Meyer they are going to be given long leashes in the rotation where as Pino/Johnson will have much shorter leashes on when they get sent back down.
    The Baltimore Orioles, and Kevin Gausman, would disagree with your conclusion:

But Gausman and I had a fairly long talk last week about the Orioles and their shuttle system. If you are in this organization and have options, you know the deal. They are trying to keep their bullpen healthy -- and have done a nice job of that over the recent years -- and this is part of it.

Gausman said last week that the first time he got sent down he was upset/angry, but he gets it now. Does he want to stay with the team? Sure. Of course.
    But does he get the procedural aspect of this, too? Yes.
    He says it doesn’t affect him; that he uses all of this as motivation.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...-chris-tillman

Senior Member MVP
    Why would you send them back down, automatically anyway? And I don't know it is a given they are "up to stay" when they come up. That is one of the points of options, using them and AAA for a deeper bench, as Baltimore is doing. It is one of the issues with loading your 25 man with older players w/o options left, you lose that flexibility.
    Lighten up Francis....

23. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Baltimore Orioles, and Kevin Gausman, would disagree with your conclusion
    I hope you would agree the Twins and Orioles are currently in different situations competitively speaking. Beyond that, Gausman is probably more the exception that proves the rule, and he can say whatever he wants, but I don't buy it has no impact. He had a good run of 3 starts, the yo-yoing started, and he has had a terrible and a meh start. Of course that could be a coincidence. I would still rather yo yo the Pinos and Johnsons of the world rather than May and Meyer.
    Papers...business papers.

25. These 2 users like drjim's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-10-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (07-10-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I hope you would agree the Twins and Orioles are currently in different situations competitively speaking. Beyond that, Gausman is probably more the exception that proves the rule, and he can say whatever he wants, but I don't buy it has no impact. He had a good run of 3 starts, the yo-yoing started, and he has had a terrible and a meh start. Of course that could be a coincidence. I would still rather yo yo the Pinos and Johnsons of the world rather than May and Meyer.
    See Mike's post above yours, he stated the case quite well for getting your best players playing at the highest level.

No team, if properly constructed, should ever have the need for 13 pitchers on its roster, except for doubleheaders. And it just seem like common sense, even Rob Antony agrees, that since the difference between AAA and MLB is significant, there's really no substitute for having multiple opportunities for your best prospects to get the necessary MLB experience in order to establish themselves.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast