Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kris Johnson Promoted

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'll be honest in that I'm not sure Meyer will be up at all this year except in a September callup situation. He's on an innings limit, and has been somewhat underwhelming of late in AAA (last start excluded). He's also not on the 40 man. I think he's going to get added in September and get some ML pen work once his limit is up.
    He will be up by the end of July, it's already been decided/communicated.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't know. I always figure that if your starter comes out in inning 2, you are pretty much unlikely to win that game, so why worry about your long reliever? That long reliever, imo, would best be someone that can just sop up those innings when needed, and maybe make a spot start here and there. I think worrying about strategy in a game you are probably losing big time is over thinking it. But, I could be wrong on that.
    The Twins were down 9-0 against the Yankees last week. 6-0 after Nolasco was pulled. The long reliever gave up 3 more runs. (Arcia also got thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double and would have scored) but the Twins eneded up loosing 9-7. A strong long reliever that keeps runs off the board and the Twins could have won it. not likely but every win helps.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The odds are tiny, you just don't come back often from that score. I'd think you'd want to optimize the roster for games where you have a chance to win, not for games you are down 6-0 in. YMMV, of course. But I'd rather plan for the vast majority of the games than the edge case games.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The odds are tiny, you just don't come back often from that score. I'd think you'd want to optimize the roster for games where you have a chance to win, not for games you are down 6-0 in. YMMV, of course. But I'd rather plan for the vast majority of the games than the edge case games.
    I tend to agree with you.

The problem with a "strong long reliever" is if you have a guy that will hold a team scoreless over 5 or 6 innings, he most certainly should be in your starting rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Delaying the promotion of literally your best pitching prospect reaching the majors since 2006 because you may lose Pedro Florimon, Edgar Ibarra, Logan Darnell, etc. seems like a real odd decision to me.
    Especially since we just added Pino to the 40-man 3 weeks ago.

Although yeah, Florimon seems expendable. We have a lot of infielders now and he's not going to survive the winter on the 40-man or certainly not next spring on the 25-man (he will be out of options).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The problem with a "strong long reliever" is if you have a guy that will hold a team scoreless over 5 or 6 innings, he most certainly should be in your starting rotation.
    Yep.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The Twins were down 9-0 against the Yankees last week. 6-0 after Nolasco was pulled. The long reliever gave up 3 more runs. (Arcia also got thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double and would have scored) but the Twins eneded up loosing 9-7. A strong long reliever that keeps runs off the board and the Twins could have won it. not likely but every win helps.
    It's certainly possible but the "not likely" part of your comment is the important one. Any pitcher that is capable of consistently keeping runs of the board to that extent (to pitch the lion's share of a 7-inning bullpen shutout) is more valuable starting or coming into close games than coming into 6-run deficits.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Baring injury/meltdown: Meyer will be up almost immediately after the all-star break, I know this as a fact.
    Didn't you also predict the Scott Baker re-signing? Same source?

Although now that I think of it, Lavelle Neal tweeted that Meyer wouldn't be promoted this year, which might be the best confirmation that the reverse is actually true. (Bizarro LEN3 isn't your source on this, is it?)

10. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post

Although now that I think of it, Lavelle Neal tweeted that Meyer wouldn't be promoted this year, which might be the best confirmation that the reverse is actually true. (Bizarro LEN3 isn't your source on this, is it?)
    No, that was Thrylos who said the Scott Baker bit.

Feel free to call me out on this if it doesn't happen, Brock knows who my "source" is.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Feel free to call me out on this if it doesn't happen, Brock knows who my "source" is.
    ronald-mcdonald1.jpg

13. These 5 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-12-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-10-2014), Oxtung (07-10-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (07-10-2014), Willihammer (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I certainly wouldn't expect someone who would otherwise be a really good starter should instead be slotted in as a long-reliever just because of the hand he throws with (not sure how that was somehow the take on my comment). But when you have a huge crop of right-handers looking like they'll be your starting rotation for the next few years and a couple AAA left-handers who look adequate but without high ceilings, they look like attractive possibilities as a long-reliever.

Is it going to miraculously win a bunch of games? Of course not. It might help the long guy pitch an extra inning in a blowout though, saving the other bullpen folks. Obviously you build the team with whoever you consider your best players. Most important factor in choosing the long guy? No. Deciding factor between a couple guys who look pretty equal otherwise? Why not?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's certainly possible but the "not likely" part of your comment is the important one. Any pitcher that is capable of consistently keeping runs of the board to that extent (to pitch the lion's share of a 7-inning bullpen shutout) is more valuable starting or coming into close games than coming into 6-run deficits.

I agree, a guy that can come in and throw 3-4 innings and save the pen is probably going to be the most likely way to contribute from this role.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    No, that was Thrylos who said the Scott Baker bit.
    Sorry, my mistake. I thought I remembered something from your posting history that didn't involve Mark DeRosa, but alas, no.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great line about LEN.

It's probably safe to say that if anyone had been crazy enough to ask if Polanco would be up before the ASB, the answer to that would have been no too.

Yes, it's apples/oranges; it's just that having a plan and being able to follow it seems harder this year for the Twins than it has previously.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought I remembered something from your posting history that didn't involve Mark DeRosa, but alas, no.
    Yeah, trust me, I have no motive to be trying to "break news" as I don't have a blog, post a blog, nor care to ever do one. (I hate writing)

I'm just speaking what I was told and the reasoning behind it. Please don't confuse me with that ridiculous Scott Baker post from earlier this year. Feel free to bring up my great BYTO troll from years past though with the Joe Mauer signing, my favorite part about that is I saw it referred to on other baseball sites

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I have no problem with this. I'm quite sure it would have been May if not for the calf injury. Meyer is being brought along cautiously. He's considered too valuable to just cut loose and run with. Now, arguements can be made the Twins are being too cautious. I'd respect that opinion. Maybe...maybe not. But I do know if they were to error somewhere, I'd rather it be on the side of caution.

Is Johnson a part of the Twins future? Meh. Maybe. On first look, I think we'd all see so-so stuff on a 30 y.o. who's best option is probably as a useful member of the bullpen. And this may prove to be true. I dare say percentages say he's a better shot long term than Pino or Deduno, because he's LH if nothing else.

Im thinking the 40 man issue may be partially at work here, and I can respect that, even if I don't always agree with it. In fact, I dare say that this off season's 40 man decisions may be the hardest in years. But beyond that, with May currently out, you have a LHSP in AAA who does hit 90-90+, and is enjoying the very best year and a half stretch of his career. Long term, who knows, but he is the next guy up. Why not take a look and see if there might be something there?

At what age do you finally tell an elite prospect (#24 overall, #12 RH Pitcher) that it's time to just come up and see if you have it or not, regardless of AAA "consistency"?

If the Twins take him much slower, he will be be the next Twins minor leaguer to debut as a 30 year old.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Meyer is throwing pitches in AAA, is that really different, healthwise, than in MLB? Is he more likely to get hurt in MN? I am not sure I understand what people are saying about "taking it easy" and stuff.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Meyer is throwing pitches in AAA, is that really different, healthwise, than in MLB? Is he more likely to get hurt in MN? I am not sure I understand what people are saying about "taking it easy" and stuff.
    You can do things like put a pitcher on an 80 pitch limit (as the Twins have done with Meyer) in the minors because win, lose, whatever. It's the minor leagues.

You can't really do that at the MLB level.

With that said, the Twins seem to be ramping up Meyer's pitch counts lately. To me, that's a good sign they're considering a move in the near future.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You can do things like put a pitcher on an 80 pitch limit (as the Twins have done with Meyer) in the minors because win, lose, whatever. It's the minor leagues.

You can't really do that at the MLB level.

With that said, the Twins seem to be ramping up Meyer's pitch counts lately. To me, that's a good sign they're considering a move in the near future.
    I'll go on record and say I am favor of the Johnson-Pino roster yo-yo until they clear that roster space for Meyer, and if/when May is cleared from his Grade 1?/Grade 2 calf sprain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast