Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a call (Book it)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts

Making a call (Book it)

Twins will win tonight then take 2 out of 3 against the Rockies, this would put them at 6 games under .500 heading into the break.

At that point, the Twins would have two weeks to get back in it or fall out, come the trade deadline I think if the Twins are 5+ games below .500 you need to go in 100% sell mode, if they are 3-4 games under .500 then you sell only a couple guys. Anything better and you stand pat or try to grab a bat or two.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    I love your optimism. I think they have a good chance to win tonight and I didn't see them taking 3 out of 4 from Seattle. If they take 2 out of three from the Rockies then they would be 500 in there past 14 games. The next part of the schedule is intra-division and they have held their own there. It could bode well for a run at 500 record this year.

Ultimately I am not a believer though and want them to be sellers and bring up young guys in the second half. Would be nice to get what we can get for vets and start bringing in the young guys.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other thah Correia, who I think can be replaced by something better, I'm not sure why they'd do a partial sell. I'd sell anyone who isn't in next year's plans.

4. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Other thah Correia, who I think can be replaced by something better, I'm not sure why they'd do a partial sell. I'd sell anyone who isn't in next year's plans.
    Correia is a no brainer regardless.

The only other "close to no brainer" is Willingham, who also is one of the few guys on this team hitting the ball hard. I still don't think he brings back a huge haul regardless, and I wouldn't be 100% opposed to bringing him back on a one year deal next year to be a DH.

Morales- I mean, I dunno what to do with him. He has struggled quite a bit, maybe its best to see if he can turn it around?

I still maintain with Suzuki that we are best off extending him a couple years, he seems to like it here so the cost shouldn't be to awful even if Pinto becomes the starter and Kurt is a back up. I know people say "well trade him now and resign him during the off-season", but that is always easier said then done. Get the extension done now while we have exclusive rights to negioate with him. If he ends up hitting like he is the rest of the season then there will be a mini bidding war for him potentially in the off-season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a fan I am not a big fan of the oh well I give up this year. Lets trade everyone and just quit. I would rather the Twins or any other team (Astros) have some dignity and make an effort to win games now and in the future.

I think teams that sell off should forfeit their first round pick to keep too many teams from doing that. (that may be a little harsh) but their should be some kind of penalty for throwing in the towel like the Marlins do every so often and the Astros have done the last few years. Last year looked like a competition the last few weeks for draft pick position for the next draft as the bottom feeders were all loosing games at a fast pace. I am not saying a team should loose a draft pick for trading a player and going young, but if a team throws in the towel and trades everyone there should be a price to pay of some kind.

With all of that said, Corriea is a good piece to trade and maybe a reliever or 2. and maybe one of Morales or Willingham as Colabello and Parmelee are able to fill in and Vargas isn't far behind. But I think we can finish this month strong and be competitive this year. but I would wait till the end of July to decide as this is the easiest stretch of games we have all season. If we are around .500 or better we are in it to some degree.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think teams that sell off should forfeit their first round pick to keep too many teams from doing that. (that may be a little harsh) but their should be some kind of penalty for throwing in the towel like the Marlins do every so often and the Astros have done the last few years.
    Teams in that situation penalize themselves enough. If you purge the MLB team, it's usually a 4-5 year process to get it back to contention. Teams that do it take a massive hit in the pocketbook and fans stay away for a long time.

That doesn't mean teams shouldn't occasionally purge and start over, I just think there's enough of a downside that an NBA lottery system (ugh) isn't a good fix.

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-11-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

The only other "close to no brainer" is Willingham, who also is one of the few guys on this team hitting the ball hard. I still don't think he brings back a huge haul regardless, and I wouldn't be 100% opposed to bringing him back on a one year deal next year to be a DH.

Morales- I mean, I dunno what to do with him. He has struggled quite a bit, maybe its best to see if he can turn it around?

I still maintain with Suzuki that we are best off extending him a couple years, he seems to like it here so the cost shouldn't be to awful even if Pinto becomes the starter and Kurt is a back up. I know people say "well trade him now and resign him during the off-season", but that is always easier said then done. Get the extension done now while we have exclusive rights to negioate with him. If he ends up hitting like he is the rest of the season then there will be a mini bidding war for him potentially in the off-season.
    Dave, please enlighten me about Willingham hitting the ball hard. The numbers say he has been putrid for more than three weeks. Morales hasn't been tearing it up, but he's been better than Hammer for that period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    dave, please enlighten me about willingham hitting the ball hard. The numbers say he has been putrid for more than three weeks. Morales hasn't been tearing it up, but he's been better than hammer for that period of time.
    .788 ops > .571 ops

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm coming around to the idea of re-signing Suzuki. He's not exactly over the hill at 30. Maybe Turner or Garver are ready in a few years, but at this point I'm less bullish on Pinto as a catcher than most.

Yadi out 8-12 with a thumb .... Maybe Cards will be calling about Suzuki

So far so good! Hard to complain about 3 out of 4 against a very good Seattle team (featuring King Felix)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    So far so good! Hard to complain about 3 out of 4 against a very good Seattle team (featuring King Felix)
    276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_1280x1024.jpg

I'm confused why anyone thinks Suzuki would sign an extension with the Twins. Won't be be looking for a multi-year deal on the FA market, like anyone else would?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Yeah if the Twins win one more game then my prediction is toast. Glad they are doing better than I thought they would.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    I'm confused why anyone thinks Suzuki would sign an extension with the Twins. Won't be be looking for a multi-year deal on the FA market, like anyone else would?
    If he gets hurt or his numbers fade then he won't do as well on the FA market. The Twins would have to overpay to extend him right now as his value is probably the highest it has ever been. By taking the extension he has guaranteed money if he waits anything could happen.

I tend to agree with you that he won't take the extension. I don't see him slowing down. His approach has been the same all year and he has been durable over his career. A catcher hitting .300 hitting FA would likely start a bidding war and he could come out making a ton of dough and possibly a three year deal. He does have to gamble on himself though.
    Last edited by Dman; 07-11-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries

And thankfully he's been pitching well for about 8 stats now!

19. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (07-14-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    And thankfully he's been pitching well for about 8 stats now!
    Yeah, I am glad to see it. And honestly I would be a bit sad to see Correia go, I think he is unfairly used as a lightning rod by some for "What is wrong with the Twins" ever since they signed him for 2 years.

The fact is, the guy has been healthy and pretty reliable for this team as a #5 starter. However the time has clearly come when the team has guys who likely are better immediate options (or at least need the experience)

21. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-14-2014)

[QUOTE=TheLeviathan;254958][/QUOTE276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_1280x1024.jpg]

Blah my bad, I forgot he didn't pitch against us. However that other dude they have is 5-0 with a 0.00 ERA against us!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries

Let's all thank Lloyd McClendon for his help in making this possible...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    Blah my bad, I forgot he didn't pitch against us. However that other dude they have is 5-0 with a 0.00 ERA against us!
    Yeah it was just extra mind boggling because they turned last night into a spring training game because they thought that little of the Twins and their need to throw their ace against us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast