Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any May injury updates?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts

Any May injury updates?

A poster who is supposed to be pretty plugged in had this to say at the time of the injury:

Calm down everyone. I talked to a PWDK of the injury, it's very minor (if it's even anything at all). I think the Twins just want to manage his innings and get him lined up to be ready to pitch in the Futures Game (on the 13th). He's eligible to come off (and pitch) on 7/3 and pitch again on 7/8. That puts him on full-rest at Target Field.

There is no concern that Trevor May won't be able to pitch on 7/13. Not even a little bit.

Curious if there was some kind of set back or something, as "not even a little bit of concern" quickly turned into not pitching 7/3 or 7/8 or in the futures game?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was an update that the injury was more serious than expected, which is when May was put on the DL. Since then, I haven't heard anything.

But it's a calf strain. As far as pitching injuries go, that one isn't very scary.

Senior Member All-Star
    The post I quoted came AFTER he was put on the DL.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    The post I quoted came AFTER he was put on the DL.
    You said "at the time of the injury". May wasn't added to the DL until 4-5 days after the injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Meant at the time he was placed on the DL.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of when it was reported, I still think that the posters comment to calm down was right. Let's please not turn this into that thread again. If May is suddenly out with Tommy John, then there's good reason to gripe. But this is a calf strain. It will heal when it heals, and there's little reason to get upset as there's really not much anyone can do other than to let it heal.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    May starting tomorrow; Diamond released to make room at Rochester.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That sets him up for a possible Friday start for the Twins

Also, the improvement in the pitching depth is here because Diamond can be released

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Regardless of when it was reported, I still think that the posters comment to calm down was right. Let's please not turn this into that thread again. If May is suddenly out with Tommy John, then there's good reason to gripe. But this is a calf strain. It will heal when it heals, and there's little reason to get upset as there's really not much anyone can do other than to let it heal.
    Pretty sure I neither griped nor got upset, but simply asked if there were any updates or setbacks as I couldn't find anything reported anywhere.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was my post.

The injury - to my knowledge - never got more serious. But I think the plans changed. He's pitching tomorrow, which I've been reporting (on Twitter) for like three days.

It's impossible to know exactly what the Twins are planning to do, but I think the minor calf strain, plus only getting an inning on the Sunday before the break (if he pitched in the Futures Game) was going to push him back far enough that they couldn't include him in their 2nd half rotation, which I BELIEVE is their plan. Pitch six or seven tomorrow, maybe get one more AAA start if there's any rust, and then get him into the MLB rotation before August.

I said on the Hangout that I felt there was some "phantom" to this injury. May has pitched 150+ innings the last three minor league seasons. He also pitched about 15 in the AFL last fall. He's to the point where he could go 175-185 innings. If he's slotted into the rotation from the 2nd half get-go, he'll have around 90 innings to go to get into that area... and probably only 12-13 starts. That will be perfect - and very unlike their handling of Gibson (who I know had TJ, but still had to be shut down before the end of the season). Had May pitched this entire time, you're looking at him having 115-120 innings and then you're flirting with 200 and I'm not sure the Twins want to go there.

Again, I could be wrong... but it all lines up.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 07-12-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Thanks for the update Jeremy. I avoid Twitter like the plague, so I guess I missed out on the updates.
    Glad to hear there was no setback or that it wasn't something more severe that they were hiding.

12. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-13-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope, nothing more serious. He's been throwing bullpens and working back, the one-inning appearance just didn't work into the "rehab" schedule.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I avoid Twitter like the plague...........
    I thought Twitter IS the plague.

15. These 2 users like h2oface's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (07-13-2014), Twins Twerp (07-13-2014)

So he is too injured for the futures game, yet well enough to pitch for the Red Wings the same day. He must be coming up if he is OK with that deal.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see May make his major league debut next week. I am not optimistic about what his results would be, but he seems to get a little better each year, so I think he could be a very useful arm in 2015.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    So he is too injured for the futures game, yet well enough to pitch for the Red Wings the same day. He must be coming up if he is OK with that deal.
    They need to finalize the Futures Game rosters ahead of time. With May being a question mark and Meyer on-hand to take his place, it made sense to swap the two players.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I said on the Hangout that I felt there was some "phantom" to this injury. May has pitched 150+ innings the last three minor league seasons. He also pitched about 15 in the AFL last fall. He's to the point where he could go 175-185 innings. If he's slotted into the rotation from the 2nd half get-go, he'll have around 90 innings to go to get into that area... and probably only 12-13 starts. That will be perfect - and very unlike their handling of Gibson (who I know had TJ, but still had to be shut down before the end of the season). Had May pitched this entire time, you're looking at him having 115-120 innings and then you're flirting with 200 and I'm not sure the Twins want to go there.

Again, I could be wrong... but it all lines up.
    That seems a little too cute to save maybe 20 innings for perhaps the healthiest and most durable minor league starter for the past 4.5 years. (While also adding an extended midseason break which he will have to carefully ramp-up from, just before or even during his MLB transition.) And the only way May was going to approach 200 innings this year is if he had a perfect seamless transition to MLB.

Also, I just cringe whenever I hear the Twins aren't concerned about an injury, and have no doubt a player will return by a set date.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Based on the pregame discussion with management, it sounds like Johnson is sticking around in the rotation for the time being, and the healthy Big 3 were announced as the starters for the weekend series, so the earliest May would be called up is Tuesday vs. Cleveland. I would guess that it will be Pino, instead though.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Based on the pregame discussion with management, it sounds like Johnson is sticking around in the rotation for the time being, and the healthy Big 3 were announced as the starters for the weekend series, so the earliest May would be called up is Tuesday vs. Cleveland. I would guess that it will be Pino, instead though.
    I would imagine that if Johnson gets shelled in his next start and Pino is so so that May will get the call Tuesday vs. Cleveland. If not the FO is just being downright stubborn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast