Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any May injury updates?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
    I would imagine that if Johnson gets shelled in his next start and Pino is so so that May will get the call Tuesday vs. Cleveland. If not the FO is just being downright stubborn.
    May would need to start Thursday to be rested for a Tuesday debut.

OTOH, if Pino starts for Rochester AFTER Thursday, he won't be rested enough for a Tuesday MLB start either. Although I think he would be eligible to be recalled for the Monday MLB start, assuming he doesn't start for Rochester in the meantime.

Nolasco would be eligible to return Tuesday too.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    May would need to start Thursday to be rested for a Tuesday debut.

OTOH, if Pino starts for Rochester AFTER Thursday, he won't be rested enough for a Tuesday MLB start either. Although I think he would be eligible to be recalled for the Monday MLB start, assuming he doesn't start for Rochester in the meantime.

Nolasco would be eligible to return Tuesday too.
    They could also start May on Thursday with the Wings with limited innings- with Pino as the first in to relieve him- thus setting both up for the possible Tuesday start in Minnesota.

Regading Nolasco, don't the Twins usually send starters to rehab for a start or two before they are put back in the rotation?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor May is scheduled to pitch Thursday, so that would set up nicely to be called up on Tuesday.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    They could also start May on Thursday with the Wings with limited innings- with Pino as the first in to relieve him- thus setting both up for the possible Tuesday start in Minnesota.
    That's true. But would a Thursday appearance by Pino preclude him from a possible MLB start on Monday? Do they go back to Johnson for that one? Deduno? Pino seems like the most interesting non-Meyer option for Monday.

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    Maybe Crasnick knows something we don't. I am guessing it was some misinformation given to him. "Meyer received an invitation to the Futures Game this year when fellow Twins pitching prospect Trevor May was summoned to the big club and became ineligible."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...prospect-meyer

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    That's true. But would a Thursday appearance by Pino preclude him from a possible MLB start on Monday? Do they go back to Johnson for that one? Deduno? Pino seems like the most interesting non-Meyer option for Monday.
    Well, regarding Johnson, Gardy was quoted Sunday as saying that "Johnson isn't going anywhere", it was only a question of when he would throw.

Whatever Gardy says I take with a grain of salt. He is simply deflecting the question/rumor before it gets started. It's bound to happen. Especially if Johnson gets shelled again.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
    Whatever Gardy says I take with a grain of salt. He is simply deflecting the question/rumor before it gets started. It's bound to happen. Especially if Johnson gets shelled again.
    Johnson is listed as the starter for next Monday's game, as well as the following Saturday against the White Sox. (Nolasco is listed for next Tuesday).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    ...and you think Gardy makes out that list?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    ...and you think Gardy makes out that list?

Yep (with a little "guidance", of course ).

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Johnson is listed as the starter for next Monday's game, as well as the following Saturday against the White Sox. (Nolasco is listed for next Tuesday).
    I think those are just extrapolated placeholders, particularly if they extend to a week from Saturday! The Twins official site lists nothing beyond this upcoming weekend:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/ticke...e.jsp?c_id=min

12. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-15-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I think those are just extrapolated placeholders, particularly if they extend to a week from Saturday! The Twins official site lists nothing beyond this upcoming weekend:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/ticke...e.jsp?c_id=min
    Interesting. There are no probables listed on ESPN for the Twins opponents past Sunday. Who made the decision to "extrapolate", but only for the Twins starters?

JULY OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV MIN PITCHER OPP. PITCHER TICKETS
    Fri, Jul 18 8:10 PM Gibson (8-7) Cobb (4-6) 1,406 available
    Sat, Jul 19 7:10 PM Correia (5-11) Price (9-7) 1,913 available
    Sun, Jul 20 2:10 PM Hughes (10-5) Archer (5-5) 1,588 available
    Mon, Jul 21 8:10 PM Johnson (0-1) 1,847 available
    Tue, Jul 22 8:10 PM Nolasco (5-7) 1,978 available
    Wed, Jul 23 1:10 PM Gibson (8-7) 1,536 available
    Thu, Jul 24 8:10 PM Correia (5-11) 1,584 available
    Fri, Jul 25 8:10 PM Hughes (10-5) 1,387 available
    Sat, Jul 26 7:10 PM Johnson (0-1) 1,288 available

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. There are no probables listed on ESPN for the Twins opponents past Sunday. Who made the decision to "extrapolate", but only for the Twins starters?
    Well, the White Sox don't have a probable listed for this Saturday yet, nor the Indians on Sunday, that would explain the absence of their future probables. I notice Cleveland has a doubleheader Saturday which will need to be addressed, and road teams tend to wait longer to announce these things too.

And once there is an open/TBD start, the probables for that team seem to stop. ESPN limits their league probables date selection to a week, so even in normal times, it's probably not too reliable beyond that?

Interesting they project Nolasco to return from the DL as soon as he is eligible -- have I missed any announcement on that? I supposed ESPN can't guess Pino for that spot since he's off the roster, but I'd probably leave current DL guys off the probables projections and just say TBD unless I had specific info otherwise.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Well, the White Sox don't have a probable listed for this Saturday yet, nor the Indians on Sunday, that would explain the absence of their future probables. I notice Cleveland has a doubleheader Saturday which will need to be addressed, and road teams tend to wait longer to announce these things too.

And once there is an open/TBD start, the probables for that team seem to stop. ESPN limits their league probables date selection to a week, so even in normal times, it's probably not too reliable beyond that?

Interesting they project Nolasco to return from the DL as soon as he is eligible -- have I missed any announcement on that? I supposed ESPN can't guess Pino for that spot since he's off the roster, but I'd probably leave current DL guys off the probables projections and just say TBD unless I had specific info otherwise.
    Kansas City also projects out the starters over the first 9 games, and their first 6 games are on the road. So, how much is extrapolation, how much is based on what the ESPN writer knows for certain from a reliable Twins source? The Nolasco scheduled start is a head scratcher for sure, but Gardy quote from Sunday is for certain that Johnson "wasn't going anywhere", it was only a question of which day he would start. How much license does ESPN get when it publishes these probables?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Kansas City also projects out the starters over the first 9 games, and their first 6 games are on the road. So, how much is extrapolation, how much is based on what the ESPN writer knows for certain from a reliable Twins source? The Nolasco scheduled start is a head scratcher for sure, but Gardy quote from Sunday is for certain that Johnson "wasn't going anywhere", it was only a question of which day he would start. How much license does ESPN get when it publishes these probables?
    Good question. If not an automated script, I can't imagine the ESPN probables are anything more than a mildly speculative data entry thing, though. If there was any interesting info being sourced by professional writers, I feel it would be published as an article, no? Not buried on a team schedule (their league probables drop-down only goes 6 days beyond the current date).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12