Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Diamond released??

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Diamond released??

1500ESPN is reporting that Diamond has been released to make room for May? Anyone else hear this or see this?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Dick and Roy mentioned it on the air tonite.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably would have been better to just try and DFA him, but he hasn't really shown anything either.

But I'm pleased they are starting to get the wheels rolling.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Waived or released?

​Interesting....wonder if there is a promotion for someone in AA on the way too? Maybe Gilmartin?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DFA or waivers wouldn't have applied -- he was already removed from the 40-man this spring. This simply opens his roster spot in Rochester.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gilmartin came up to AAA with Pino promotion to majors

Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    Gilmartin came up to AAA with Pino promotion to majors
    Must've missed that. So basically this allows for May to rejoin the rotation since Gilmartin-Pino-Meyer-Darnell are already there. Makes sense.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    The wheels are turning. Deadwood must be trimmed to keep the organism in a state of health.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About time.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

12. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's time.

Really thought Meyer should probably have gone to the Futures Games on his own merit originally, and not as a replacement player for May. Don't know if that might be due to that short stretch where he didn't look very sharp, or the powers that be not wanting to pick two SP from one team.

Really thought things were set up perfectly for May to get those couple last starts, appear in the Futures Game, (an honor that really shouldn't go unrecognized despite all the board debates), and then stay up with the Twins. With Meyer now looking very sharp again, and with Nolasco out, there is a real opportunity here still. I wonder if Meyer stays up.

Best of luck to Diamond. Very disappointed things turned out this way. I really thought we found ourselves a nice, solid rotation bargain when he arrived.
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Remember Diamond was "pencilled-in" as the #1 guy for the 2013 rotation by most posters. Things can change fast.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diamond had only recently returned to the rotation while the it's been in flux. May will actually take Meyer's turn tomorrow, but that still leaves a four-man group of Darnell-Pino-Hamburger-Gilmartin. One of those six (it's going to be May, IMO), will join the Twins' second-half rotation.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Diamond. He had a terrific season in 2012, but everything points to his success being smoke and mirrors. I'm pretty sure someone will take a chance on him and maybe everything will click again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Diamond had only recently returned to the rotation while the it's been in flux. May will actually take Meyer's turn tomorrow, but that still leaves a four-man group of Darnell-Pino-Hamburger-Gilmartin. One of those six (it's going to be May, IMO), will join the Twins' second-half rotation.
    That was the sense i got when i read the cleared room for May. Although I believe May will get more then one start in AAA; Johnson will get pounded again before May is brought up. The Rotation for the second half will look something like Hughes, Correria, Gibson, Deduno, and May/Johnson/Pino. Deduno prolly goes back into the rotation until Nolasco is ready to go. To bad for Diamond, But he ended up just like his brother who got a chance with the cubs. Someone will take a flyer on him though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Best of luck to Diamond. He had a really solid 2012 season and he pitched for the Canadian National team if I recall. Not bad for a non drafted kid from Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Thanks, clearly I'm behind on the goings on down there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigGuy7273 View Post
    That was the sense i got when i read the cleared room for May. Although I believe May will get more then one start in AAA; Johnson will get pounded again before May is brought up. The Rotation for the second half will look something like Hughes, Correria, Gibson, Deduno, and May/Johnson/Pino. Deduno prolly goes back into the rotation until Nolasco is ready to go. To bad for Diamond, But he ended up just like his brother who got a chance with the cubs. Someone will take a flyer on him though.
    My take for what it's worth is that Correia will be dealt by August 1. His last 10-11 starts he has had an ERA of about 3.30 and a WHIP of less than 1.25 so he has built up some value. He is also sturdy as he has missed very few, if any, starts in his two years with the Twins. Some team will give up something for this type of 4/5 starter the last 60 games down the stretch. Because he will be a free agent and does not fit into the Twins plans post 2014 this is a move the team will make.

Twins starters will soon be Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco (Deduno for now) May, and possibly Johnson/Darnell (or Deduno if Nolasco is healthy). I don't beleive that they will add Meyer to the 40 man until next year.

Rochester starters will be Darnell, Meyer, Hamburger, Pino, and Johnson (once Nolasco is healthy.)

Going North in 2015 we will start with a rotation of Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco, May, and Meyer.

The elephant in the room is Nolasco's injury/arm. If for some reason it is worse than we have been led to beleive and he needs surgery,etc., AND the Twins believe that they can contend in 2015, then they may try to extend Correia for one more year to hold that spot in the rotation.