Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Fangraphs Top 25 Midseason

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts

Fangraphs Top 25 Midseason

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-2...season-update/

Five in the Top 24. That'll play.

Other news is that Buxton is now actually #2.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    The most startling thing is the huge jump taken by Berrios. From preseason 93rd to #24. Well deserved.

Sano and Buxton have to be in a holding pattern -- there just isn't anything there to make a new judgment on.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Nice link. 5 in the top 25? Wow.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    And 3 of the 5 are pitchers, encouraging to say the least.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Exciting! Even if only 3 work out, that's still impressive.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering that any team isn't even guarenteed 1 by the odds having five shows the top end talent of the Twins for sure!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5 of the top 10 play Shortstop. There is some serious talent coming up at that position.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    And 3 of the 5 are pitchers, encouraging to say the least.
    You would think 3 pitchers between 19 and 24 would mean you have one top of the rotation guy out of the three, at least.

9. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (07-14-2014)

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would wonder what we could offer to pry one of the short stops away from the cubs. They won't need two long term...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    You would think 3 pitchers between 19 and 24 would mean you have one top of the rotation guy out of the three, at least.
    I'm going to tell myself we will have 3 top of the rotation guys.

A new big 3... That's my hope.

12. These 3 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-14-2014), Dman (07-14-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-14-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    I would wonder what we could offer to pry one of the short stops away from the cubs. They won't need two long term...
    At least one is moving to 3rd, wtih Bryant moving to right.....that's my guess.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    At least one is moving to 3rd, wtih Bryant moving to right.....that's my guess.
    Here is his line at AA-AAA:

.333, 31 HR, 26 2B in 92 games. Pretty decent 55 HR, 46 2B clip. That bat may play OK at 1B as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    No faith in Gordon?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously, 5 of any top 25 is pretty good in a league with 30 teams! But do remember that midseason lists do not correlate with more commonly reference offseason top 100 lists. From the linked post:

"Any prospect-eligible player currently in the Majors was not considered for this list, including Oscar Taveras (Cardinals), Marcus Stroman (Blue Jays) and Mookie Betts (Red Sox). Any amateur turning pro in 2014 was also not included."

Also, our top 2 on this last have actually fallen from their preseason rankings (mostly a function of either barely swinging a bat so far). Meyer seems to have fallen in relative terms too, adjusting for list graduates. Stewart has probably more or less held his preseason spot.

Berrios is the real story here so far. Hopefully his fast climb up the prospect charts bodes well for a fast climb futher up the org ladder!

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    No faith in Gordon?
    I am hopeful but he won't be here in the next couple years and The team needs to be building for 2015-16 as years to be in contention

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    5 of the top 10 play Shortstop. There is some serious talent coming up at that position.
    They may all make it, but it seems like there are always a ton of SS rated highly. The position always seems to get overvalued due to the percieved defensive value. These guys do seem to have some bat to them, though I don't know that I'd rate them this high. Lindor, Russell and Crawford look to have league average to above league average bats, but none look to have any phenominal offensive tools.

I'd be thrilled to have each and every one of these guys, however while I know it's not cool to say in this day and age, but I don't give much of a crap about defense or the position, get me the best bat, period. When you get to the MLB level, I'm not trading Manny Rameriz (69 WAR) for Alan Trammel (70 WAR). Prospect rankings and the criteria going into complex statistacl data are just too heavily weighted toward the position these days in my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    They may all make it, but it seems like there are always a ton of SS rated highly. The position always seems to get overvalued due to the percieved defensive value. These guys do seem to have some bat to them, though I don't know that I'd rate them this high. Lindor, Russell and Crawford look to have league average to above league average bats, but none look to have any phenominal offensive tools.

I'd be thrilled to have each and every one of these guys, however while I know it's not cool to say in this day and age, but I don't give much of a crap about defense or the position, get me the best bat, period. When you get to the MLB level, I'm not trading Manny Rameriz (69 WAR) for Alan Trammel (70 WAR). Prospect rankings and the criteria going into complex statistacl data are just too heavily weighted toward the position these days in my opinion.
    This is an important point.

I will say this about Lindor, I was as impressed with him as anyone yesterday in the Future's Game. So smooth at SS. Russell and Crawford will almost certainly stay at SS too, but I think they other guys have definite question marks about their ability to play the position. That is why those three are ranked that high even without the plus offensive tools.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    This is an important point.

I will say this about Lindor, I was as impressed with him as anyone yesterday in the Future's Game. So smooth at SS. Russell and Crawford will almost certainly stay at SS too, but I think they other guys have definite question marks about their ability to play the position. That is why those three are ranked that high even without the plus offensive tools.
    And I get it, sticking at SS with an average bat is a big upgrade over moving to 3B with a below average bat. Still, I take Manny Rameriz in LF and Eduardo Escobar at SS over Alan Trammel at SS and Chris Parmelee in LF.

I wish I hadn't used Trammel as an example honestly, I always did like him as a player.