Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My friends: Justin Morneau, class act.

  1. #1
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,955
    Like
    257
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

    My friends: Justin Morneau, class act.

    I, for one, felt very rewarded by Justin's return to Target Field.

    Justin had the opportunity to explain his mutual respect for Twins fans; he describes his reception from the crowd as moment he'll never forget. Speaking about it, Morneau struggled to contain his emotion. He misses us.

  2. These 10 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Beezer07 (07-15-2014), glunn (07-15-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (07-15-2014), James (07-15-2014), LewFordLives (07-15-2014), snepp (07-15-2014), Taildragger8791 (07-15-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-15-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-15-2014), USAFChief (07-15-2014)

  3. #2
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,078
    Like
    4,534
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Last year at a game in Anaheim Justin was the only Twins player to come over to sign baseballs for fans. He was patient and friendly. Definitely a class act. I am glad that the concussion symptoms seem to have subsided.

  4. These 2 users like glunn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (07-15-2014), USAFChief (07-15-2014)

  5. #3
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    26
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Maybe he learned some humility after his concussion, realizing his career could be over, but I listened to more than one interview with him in his younger days where he was really rude to the interviewer, rude to the point where if I was the interviewer I'd never have him back. I know I'll get barbecued here but count me as not a Morneau fan.

  6. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,149
    Like
    102
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Last year at a game in Anaheim Justin was the only Twins player to come over to sign baseballs for fans. He was patient and friendly. Definitely a class act. I am glad that the concussion symptoms seem to have subsided.
    You always used to hear how if a young player didn't run out a grounder or showed up late to something, it was always Justin that told him how it was going to be. You have to wonder who is doing that now.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Posts
    600
    Like
    62
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    You always used to hear how if a young player didn't run out a grounder or showed up late to something, it was always Justin that told him how it was going to be. You have to wonder who is doing that now.
    that's a good question - it seems like Morales has been talking to some of the young guys, Arcia in particular.
    Dozier could step to be that guy. Even someone like Colabello, who doesn't have the same MLB resume, could be an example to the young guys. He's certainly had to work really hard to get here. Suzuki seems to be that guy for the pitching staff.
    With Morneau gone, I do wonder who became the vocal leader in the clubhouse. Maybe Kurt, maybe Dozier.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Maybe he learned some humility after his concussion, realizing his career could be over, but I listened to more than one interview with him in his younger days where he was really rude to the interviewer, rude to the point where if I was the interviewer I'd never have him back. I know I'll get barbecued here but count me as not a Morneau fan.
    I am a Morneau fan.
    I won't barbecue you, but I will suggest that people mature, and one might not be out of line in suggesting that a corresponding maturity might be called for in giving someone a break.

  9. These 2 users like Wyorev's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    diehardtwinsfan (07-15-2014), luckylager (07-15-2014)

  10. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Posts
    274
    Like
    54
    Liked 380 Times in 144 Posts
    It has been interesting to see Dozier develop in his post-game interviews over the past year. Not that sometimes is not deceptive, but he seems to have matured into someone who could fill this role. Kurt as well, but I suspect Dozier will be around longer.

    I read an interview of a bat boy a couple of years ago (on one of the west coast teams - Oakland?) who dealt with the visiting players. He specifically named Morneau (and Mauer) as being two of the nicest players he had to deal with and enjoyed working with the Twins in general.

  11. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,663
    Like
    3
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Maybe he learned some humility after his concussion, realizing his career could be over, but I listened to more than one interview with him in his younger days where he was really rude to the interviewer, rude to the point where if I was the interviewer I'd never have him back. I know I'll get barbecued here but count me as not a Morneau fan.
    Define "younger days"? Morneau got married in 2009 and had his first kid in 2010 -- those events are sure to change anyone's personality, particularly that of a talented young male athlete. (Although he certainly has faced some new professional challenges since 2010 too.)

  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Maybe he learned some humility after his concussion, realizing his career could be over, but I listened to more than one interview with him in his younger days where he was really rude to the interviewer, rude to the point where if I was the interviewer I'd never have him back. I know I'll get barbecued here but count me as not a Morneau fan.
    I'm bringing this up for the first time, only because I don't want Blackjack to be "barbecued." Years ago, I heard stories--at the time--from an on-the-ground source of what Morneau's minor league teammates thought of him, and it could not be worse. So, yes, it has been hard for me to embrace him they way other Twins fans have. I do believe in transformation, and I do believe he has changed. If it wasn't a religious conversion, I'd have to give Joe Mauer a lot of credit for this. But don't be hard on Blackjack; he's not wrong.

  13. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    I'm bringing this up for the first time, only because I don't want Blackjack to be "barbecued." Years ago, I heard stories--at the time--from an on-the-ground source of what Morneau's minor league teammates thought of him, and it could not be worse. So, yes, it has been hard for me to embrace him they way other Twins fans have. I do believe in transformation, and I do believe he has changed. If it wasn't a religious conversion, I'd have to give Joe Mauer a lot of credit for this. But don't be hard on Blackjack; he's not wrong.
    If that's true, then it makes Morneau even easier to root for. Based on the way current and former teammates lobbied...HARD...for him to make the All-Star roster, he's a beloved teammate now. If that's only after a major shift in personality it's all the more remarkable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.