Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Producing a Run per Game

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries

Producing a Run per Game

Smalley talked at length (shock) about Dozier's run production on the Twins' recent marijuana tour (Washington & Colorado). He talked about runs scored plus RBI. In calculating this basic stat, it would figure to subtract the number of home runs, because that is both a run scored and an RBI. Through the All-Star break, Dozier has produced exactly one run per game. Here are the rest of the players who have averaged one run per game or more in MLB so far this year:

Miggy Cabrera 118
    Mike Trout 116
    Michael Brantley 111
    Paul Goldschmidt 111
    Anthony Rendon 107
    Josh Donaldson 106
    Ian Kinsler 104
    Giancarlo Stanton 103
    Freddy Freeman 103
    Albert Pujols 102
    Nelson Cruz 102
    Juan Encarnacion 101
    Andrew McCutchen 101
    Troy Tulowitzki 101
    Robinson Cano 99
    Brian Dozier 96

Good offensive players all.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    FWIW, this is the stat the Reusse always mentions as his favorite.

I struggle with it a little, the hardcore stat types will downplay runs and RBI as being more a product of lineup and opportunity which I wouldn't argue. However, there has to be something to run production, it is after all the point of the game (along with not getting out).
    Papers...business papers.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    FWIW, this is the stat the Reusse always mentions as his favorite.

I struggle with it a little, the hardcore stat types will downplay runs and RBI as being more a product of lineup and opportunity which I wouldn't argue. However, there has to be something to run production, it is after all the point of the game (along with not getting out).
    Agree. But the final score has to do with how many safely touched home plate, not first through third base. This "stat" favors guys who hit in good lineups, but for a guy like Dozier to be there with a relatively weak-hitting team says something good about what he is doing when the Twins are hitting.

5. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

whydidnt (07-16-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Yes, generally not a stat that is a reflection of the guys true contribution since you are so dependent on others in the lineup, and where you are hitting. However, for Dozier to dot his in an otherwise crappy lineup is a pretty impressive feat.

Reusee is so anti-sabermetric that I don't even listen to his thoughts on baseball anymore. He's so closed minded on "new statistics" that it discredits his obvious baseball acumen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Reusee is so anti-sabermetric that I don't even listen to his thoughts on baseball anymore. He's so closed minded on "new statistics" that it discredits his obvious baseball acumen.
    Not to turn this into a just a Reusse discussion, but his main complaint against newer stats is WAR. I don't think that makes him that unique or that some skepticism is a bad thing. He is generally behind all counting and rate states. Wouldn't want him as a front office figure, but he understands ball just fine.
    Papers...business papers.