Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Behind the Scenes: Futures Game (Berrios/Vargas/Meyer)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Behind the Scenes: Futures Game (Berrios/Vargas/Meyer)

http://m.mlb.com/min/video/v34576361...cid=mm_min_vid

This video is great. Good stuff! Vargas has a ton of personality, but I loved when Berrios said his goal has been to get to the big leagues with the Twins... and then he added, "Maybe this year!" Love it!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    but I loved when Berrios said his goal has been to get to the big leagues with the Twins... and then he added, "Maybe this year!" Love it!

Great stuff. I wonder if these guys are made aware of 40-man and service time implications and why a guy like Berrios wouldn't get a shot this year? It's doubtful anyone in the front office would explain why it's not in the team's best interest to not get a MLB call up this year. I'd think the organization would frown upon any minor league coaches discussing these things. Agents might explain the situation, but a lot of them seem to be brown-nosers spouting happy words of encouragement to the players, they may actually encourage them to embrace the idea of an early call up even if they know it's out of the question.

I suppose it would be up to teammates to break this kind of news to a guy who may not understand the ramifications. However, they might not do so either and if they did, it may fall on deaf ears as setting lofty goals for oneself, sticking to them and ignoring everything else is kind of a time honored tradition of being a professional athlete.

Either way, I can't wait to see him and I hope he forces the teams hand sometime in 2015.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agents should be explaining this. It's not difficult to understand, but I have to think that this falls squarely on the agent.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Agents should be explaining this. It's not difficult to understand, but I have to think that this falls squarely on the agent.
    I know a few agents, they definitely keep the players informed/let them know why they aren't in the majors at this moment in time. "Well the ballclub doesn't want to pay you more right now/in the future etc" if anything its a tactic (and effective one at that) to train the player to look out for #1 in the future.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I know a few agents, they definitely keep the players informed/let them know why they aren't in the majors at this moment in time. "Well the ballclub doesn't want to pay you more right now/in the future etc" if anything its a tactic (and effective one at that) to train the player to look out for #1 in the future.
    We all have to look out for #1 because no one else is going to. The reward for a ball player looking out for number 1 is a little different than say an old nurse. They can get paid a lot more. All in all, if you do not look out for number one, sooner or later you will get burned.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I'd be pretty surprised if these young men weren't aware of every thought, rule or nuance affecting their careers. Especially the Latino players who might naturally be a bit cautious given the language and cultural barriers they face.