Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Trade Candidate: Kurt Suzuki

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Trade Candidate: Kurt Suzuki

I may be dis-remembering this, but it struck me at the time that we accumulated a lot of talent for Rick Aguilara under this same philosophy. Trade him for prospects once the season revealed its underbelly, and then sign him again in the winter. Rinse and repeat. If Kurt feels both the joy of playing for this team and the promise of its future, he will understand the motives behind a move and come right back at season's end.

It is a win-win-win - we get a prospect or two during a rebuilding year, we get to see extended time for his potential replacements, and he is right back on the team for a market contract a few months later.

Clearly, there are risks involved - he gets a good deal from another team in free agency that we can't/won't match, or we find that Josmil is ready for the show and don't want to pay starter money to Kurt S for multiple years to back him up, but the underlying premise is sound. It is based, purely, on relationships, and I'm in no position to judge his relationship to the front office or their allure to him.

Please, oh please, Terry Ryan, try to sell someone at the high point for once. I realize Joe Mauer isn't coming up to replace Suzuki like we had with AJP, but it will be okay in the end if you sell Suzuki. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The trade should be Pinto. While he may hit in the show, it is still a gamble, and I don't see how he can be trusted with a young pitching staff. No way. I see the next good Twins catcher to be Mitch Garver (one of three finalists along with the winner, Stuart Turner, for the 2013 Johnny Bench award and who played with New Mexico, and is right behind Turner in Cedar Rapids), who is wielding an impressive bat - much more so than Turner - and actually IS a catcher very close to Turner with the glove. Suzuki, even if he regresses all the way to around .250 at the plate, would be great to transition the young pitchers coming up, as well as be a leader and a back up ala Mike Redmond for a couple years after Garver and Turner take over. Pinto......... not a catcher that can lead and control the game. Having him be the catcher for the young staff scares me (and Perkins). He is a DH at best, and that is only if he proves to hit in the show consistently. I see a lot of holes in his swing, and I am not even betting on that.
    Last edited by h2oface; 07-17-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be a major mistake to waste this opportunity to pick up a prospect potentially up into the 150-250 range, but certainly in the 250-400 range, especially with regard to the Cardinals or Orioles. Patrick Wisdom and Carson Kelly come to mind from the Cardinals. Tim Berry and Parker Bridwell come to mind for the Orioles.

I do think that it would be a mistake to then re-sign Suzuki in the offseason. But even in such a scenario, it would be a complete waste to let him finish this season as a Twin. Give the rest of the season to Pinto and Herrmann and get over it. See what happens there for two+ months and then decide about Suzuki and others in the offseason. This is an OBVIOUS decision to make to add depth to the minor league system.

6. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    The trade should be Pinto. While he may hit in the show, it is still a gamble, and I don't see how he can be trusted with a young pitching staff. No way. I see the next good Twins catcher to be Mitch Garver (one of three finalists along with the winner, Stuart Turner, for the 2013 Johnny Bench award who played with New Mexico), who has a way better bat and actually IS a catcher very close to Turner with the glove. Suzuki, even if he regresses all the way to around .250 at the plate, would be great to transition the young pitchers coming up, as well as be a leader and a back up ala Mike Redmond for a couple years after Garver and Turner take over. Pinto......... not a catcher that can lead and control the game. He is a DH at best, and that is only if he proves to hit in the show consistently. I see a lot of holes in his swing, and I am not even betting on that.
    Interesting take. One could also see value in trading Garver and/or Turner before they turn into pumpkins (I think this will happen to Turner. Garver is good, but they are, for whatever terrible reason, not promoting him to Fort Myers right now).

Hopefully we can trade off several veterans this year. Morales, Correia, and perhaps Willingham. However, I'm inclined to keep Suzuki. I recall from an earlier post that the free agency catcher options are very underwhelming next year. If he signs for a modest 2 year extension say in the 10-12 range or maybe one year plus a team option I would not complain. With several young pitchers coming up in the next year of so I believe the veteran backstop would be a wise investment. Even if he ends up backing up Pinto next year I still feel he's a wise investment.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Wow. i love these threads that are premised: "If he signs a team-friendly contract"--one/two years at jouyneyman's wages. Recall Willingham received 3 years and $21MM. Suzuki will be in demand this offseason. Suzuki "served his time" (one-year, make-good contract with a poor team)--and made good. The demands will be commensurate, 4-years and $32MM (and I might be low). After the Twins FO fantasy contract offers are removed from the equation, now what do you do with Suzuki? Pay full price, and solve your "Catcher problems", seek another one-year "fallen star" (and pray), or grind out a solution internally biting your tongue?

10. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (07-17-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, Suzuki is going to want a big contract this offseason. He'd be crazy not to want that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Wow. i love these threads that are premised: "If he signs a team-friendly contract"--one/two years at jouyneyman's wages. Recall Willingham received 3 years and $21MM. Suzuki will be in demand this offseason. Suzuki "served his time" (one-year, make-good contract with a poor team)--and made good. The demands will be commensurate, 4-years and $32MM (and I might be low). After the Twins FO fantasy contract offers are removed from the equation, now what do you do with Suzuki? Pay full price, and solve your "Catcher problems", seek another one-year "fallen star" (and pray), or grind out a solution internally biting your tongue?
    McCann is the only catcher in recent history to get more than a 3 year contract. McCann>>>Suzuki
    Saltalamacchia got 7m/year. I don't think inflation has hit that hard in salaries.
    Agent demands could be high, that is what they try. Recent history would hint at a little lower price tag, and no more than 3 years.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm an economics major, so you know I believe in the concept of Buying Low and Selling High. Suzuki's value will likely never be higher. He is putting up career-best numbers at age 30, so to expect him to maintain this value through the rest of the 2014 season (much less for 2-3 more years) is not realistic.
    This
    2014 is for Suzuki what 2012 was for Willingham and Diamond. The issue here is that pretty much everyone knows that it is likely and aberration and that will affect the return. It will matter if someone is desperate enough to part with prospects.

Re-signing him this off-season will be paying high for the Twins, which means paying a likely back up player starter wages (and starting him because they are paying him like one.) That would be buying high. Not advisable...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    Please, oh please, Terry Ryan, try to sell someone at the high point for once.
    Like Denard Span and Ben Revere?

I understand the Ryan doesn't move players when some people want him to move them (never mind that peoples' notion of "sell high" is often unreasonable) but let's not pretend that he doesn't move some players at precisely the right time. Span's value collapsed almost immediately after the trade and Revere wasn't far behind him.

15. These 8 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-21-2014), curt1965 (07-17-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-17-2014), James (07-17-2014), jorgenswest (07-17-2014), kdrupp09 (07-17-2014), Monkeypaws (07-18-2014), tobi0040 (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This
    2014 is for Suzuki what 2012 was for Willingham and Diamond. The issue here is that pretty much everyone knows that it is likely and aberration and that will affect the return. It will matter if someone is desperate enough to part with prospects.

Re-signing him this off-season will be paying high for the Twins, which means paying a likely back up player starter wages (and starting him because they are paying him like one.) That would be buying high. Not advisable...
    I think you offer him 2/16. If he takes it great. If he doesn't you move him. Will he take this? Probably not. But you never know. He has made a decent amount of money and doesn't strke me as a guy with three lambo's in his garage.

We absolutely can't let him play out this year without an extension.

I understand the sell high logic, I get it. Will Suzuki hit .300 and be an all star the next two years? NO. That is not the important point here. But my fear is, who will catch for the Twins next year?

The free agent list, beyond Russell Martin is downright scary. We don't trust Pinto, it is clear as day. And we need to drop the fantasy about playing a catcher in A ball next year. Not going to happen.

I have seen this franchise say great things about catchers in the low minors, only to not trust them at the big league level over and over again.

IMO, we have Eric Fryer behind the plate next year with 300-400 at bats. That is the risk. The ideal trade partner would be both a contender with a hole at catcher and some catching depth at about AA, so we can give them Suzuki for a guy that could catch for us about June of next year.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 07-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Suzuki is the one expiring veteran I'm ok with them retaining. But given the catcher need out there...I sure hope we explore trading aggressively as well.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Suzuki is the one expiring veteran I'm ok with them retaining. But given the catcher need out there...I sure hope we explore trading aggressively as well.
    Yeah. I'm pretty wishy-washy on trading Suzuki because the Twins have no catching depth and the free agent market looks brutal this offseason.

But, without a doubt, the option should be explored.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yeah. I'm pretty wishy-washy on trading Suzuki because the Twins have no catching depth and the free agent market looks brutal this offseason.

But, without a doubt, the option should be explored.
    I think given what the Twins have in the system and what will be available this offseason the only way the Twins trade Suzuki is if they get blown away on an offer. I think if you get offered a top 10 prospect and possibly another Top 20 Top 30 prospect than you make the trade. However, I don't see someone giving that good of an offer for a rental with no guarantee of next season. So long way around, I think Suzuki does not get traded and ultimately signs an extension with the team.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    the more I look at his defense, the less I like re-signing him. I've made that point in the Suzuki thread, so I won't repeat it here.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Like Denard Span and Ben Revere?

I understand the Ryan doesn't move players when some people want him to move them (never mind that peoples' notion of "sell high" is often unreasonable) but let's not pretend that he doesn't move some players at precisely the right time. Span's value collapsed almost immediately after the trade and Revere wasn't far behind him.
    To tell the whole story though, it was Washington and Philadelphia that initiated the trade talks in both cases, not Ryan. Based on that history, I hope St Louis or Baltimore, or both, and others like the Jays, start a bidding war for Suzuki's services and the Twins net another future potential ace currently playing at A+ or AA ball & another serviceable bat or arm.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    the more I look at his defense, the less I like re-signing him. I've made that point in the Suzuki thread, so I won't repeat it here.
    What is the alternative in your scenario?

AJ?
    Internal?
    Another FA on another one-year deal?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    To tell the whole story though, it was Washington and Philadelphia that initiated the trade talks in both cases, not Ryan. Based on that history, I hope St Louis or Baltimore, or both, and others like the Jays, start a bidding war for Suzuki's services and the Twins net another future potential ace currently playing at A+ or AA ball & another serviceable bat or arm.
    If we get an Alex Meyer type prospect in rookie ball or A ball, you send Kurt on his way and figure it out next year. If the haul is a Scott Diamond, Sean Gilmartin type, pay the guy some money to catcher here for the next few years.

24. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Monkeypaws (07-18-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast