Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/16): Tomshaw, Buxton, Walker

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/16): Tomshaw, Buxton, Walker

End of the first half seems like a good time to say thank you to Seth and everyone else who puts in so much time throughout the busy weeks putting these together. Ive followed you each since before TD and these reports continue to be my favorite part. Thanks fellas!

3. These 2 users like benji21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (07-18-2014), Willihammer (07-18-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I recall that Matt LeCroy hit a bunch of home runs at Fort Myers. Does he have the most of any Twins organization player? If the most is in the high 20's, seems like Walker should have a shot at setting a new record.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Hopefully this is a sign that Buxton is truly back. If he hits like this for a week or two do the Twins get up moved up to AA?

I don't follow the minor leagues like I once did but isn't the FSL notorious for not allowing homeruns? I see this Walker has 20 with 2 months to go. They have lots of decisions to make in the next months with all the 1b/dh/corner OF spots in the majors or inching closer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    We got Miguel Sulbaran for Drew Butera . . . who I just checked on and is doing quite well in the FSL this year. He looked like a good return for Drew back when we got him and still is looking like a solid return for an all glove no bat catcher.

Just makes me think we could get something pretty solid for Suzuki and would be the right move to trade him. I don't want them to give him up for peanuts but I think we're looking at one solid prospect at the very least for him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    We got Miguel Sulbaran for Drew Butera . . . who I just checked on and is doing quite well in the FSL this year. He looked like a good return for Drew back when we got him and still is looking like a solid return for an all glove no bat catcher.

Just makes me think we could get something pretty solid for Suzuki and would be the right move to trade him. I don't want them to give him up for peanuts but I think we're looking at one solid prospect at the very least for him.

oops wrong thread!! please ignore

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I recall that Matt LeCroy hit a bunch of home runs at Fort Myers. Does he have the most of any Twins organization player? If the most is in the high 20's, seems like Walker should have a shot at setting a new record.
    Per Brice Zimmerman, the single-season record for home runs in a season for the Ft. Myers Miracle is held by Brock Peterson, who hit 21 homers in 2006. Walker hit his 20th last night.

To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last year before being promoted in early June. I'm guessing there are others that were promoted at midseason who may have had similar opportunity to break that record.

Matthew LeCroy had 20 homers in 1999 with the Miracle in 89 games. Walker hit his 20th last night in his 88th game.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that Buxton is truly back. If he hits like this for a week or two do the Twins get up moved up to AA?
    It's possible, but they're going to let him be comfortable first before moving him up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    "To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last night" Guessing that is a single game record.

12. This user likes Dantes929's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-17-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's possible, but they're going to let him be comfortable first before moving him up.
    And rightly so...I'm the biggest pusher for promotion of the best prospects, but this clearly is one case where there is absolutely no need to rush, another setback with the wrist, or a compensation injury because of the wrist should be avoided at all costs, the Twins would be smart to take this very slowly with Buxton. Plus, you have a scenario in CF that has to play out with Rosario and Hicks. If he's back to the old Buck by the end of the month, then fine, let the chips in New Britain fall where they may, and move him on up.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Yup, I love it when they move guys up to challenge them, but no reason for Buxton to move up right now, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

How much longer before Jorge Polanco get's promoted to AA?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Polanco is giving every indication that his bat needs more of a challenge at a higher level. Any chance he get's promoted before the start of the second half or real soon?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last night" Guessing that is a single game record.
    Good call... I corrected it. Ha!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm confident Walker can shatter this record and not only because he's staying in A+ longer than most. I think so because he hits HRs at a higher rate than all of the Power hitters in the Twins organization / system (not named Sano). Sano would have easily broke it.

The following players hit a HR every ___ games while in the minor leagues.
    Miguel Sano every 4.2 games
    Adam Brett Walker every 4.5 games (has led his league at every level thru minors)
    Chris Colabello every 5.2 games
    Kennys Vargas every 6.4 games
    Brock Peterson every 7.1 games (Miracle record holder at 21 HRs)
    Oswaldo Arcia every 7.4 games
    Chris Parmelee every 7.8 games
    Trevor Plouffe every 10.5 games

Those Top 4 could be fun to watch in 2016. What I really like about Walker as well, is that he seems to be durable (knock on wood). He has played in 93% of the games his teams have played over the course of 3 seasons.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Walker can lead the FSL (A+) in HR, it will be 3 straight years he's led the league he's in in HR. Pretty cool. He's been slightly younger than his competition too, not much, generally a half a year, but still. Not too shabby. If he does it again next year at AA...that would perhaps swing the needle over towards for many to have more expectation of a possible MLB contributor.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure that will make believers out of most. But maybe the 4th time is the charm?

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lightfoot, you're probably right.

But gosh dang...yeah...if he does 4 for 4. That's something.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I'm confident Walker can shatter this record and not only because he's staying in A+ longer than most. I think so because he hits HRs at a higher rate than all of the Power hitters in the Twins organization / system (not named Sano). Sano would have easily broke it.

The following players hit a HR every ___ games while in the minor leagues.
    Miguel Sano every 4.2 games
    Adam Brett Walker every 4.5 games (has led his league at every level thru minors)
    Chris Colabello every 5.2 games
    Kennys Vargas every 6.4 games
    Brock Peterson every 7.1 games (Miracle record holder at 21 HRs)
    Oswaldo Arcia every 7.4 games
    Chris Parmelee every 7.8 games
    Trevor Plouffe every 10.5 games

Those Top 4 could be fun to watch in 2016. What I really like about Walker as well, is that he seems to be durable (knock on wood). He has played in 93% of the games his teams have played over the course of 3 seasons.
    You think Colabello will still be with the Twins in 2016?

Remember they offered him to a Korean team (ala Albers) last winter

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Not sure that will make believers out of most. But maybe the 4th time is the charm?
    There's plenty of reason to like the guy, but the fact that he continues to lead his leagues in HR is also an indicator that he isn't able to move up multiple levels a season.

I love the power, but a .295 OBP? Wow, that's pretty awful for the HR leader in A ball. That's led to a rather average .745 OPS, despite all those longballs. He is walking better this year, but still not enough considering the shakey control most A ballers have and the fact that HR leaders often get pitched around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast