Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a call (next two weeks) BOOK IT!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

Making a call (next two weeks) BOOK IT!

The Twins finished off their pre all-star schedule on a bit of an upswing and now sit 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the wild card hunt. Much will be written about the trade deadline and obviously these next two weeks will determine whether the Twins:

Become complete sellers after falling completely out of it. Minor sellers after treading water. Holding if they climb back into the race, or minor buyers if they get on fire in the next two weeks.

The Twins have a large strip of games at home with 3 vs Tampa, 3 vs Cleveland and 4 vs the Pale hose. Then 3 games at the baby Royals before the deadline hits.

My predictions:
    2 out of 3 vs Tampa
    2 out of 3 vs Cleveland
    3 out of 4 vs White Sox
    2 out of 3 vs Royals.

(9-4)

This would put the Twins at one game under .500 at the deadline and likely within 4.5 games or so of the wild card. At this point I would like/expect the Twins to simply be minor sellers or holders. (Correia/Burton traded for anything+ Willingham/Suzuki kept around)

If they can somehow win 10 or 11 of those games then I would like to see them try to bring in some CF help at a low cost.

The march to the playoffs continue
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 685 Posts
    I think your crystal ball might need repair (although I hope not).

I'm guessing (note, guessing not predicting).

2 out of 3 vs Tampa
    1 out of 3 vs Cleveland
    3 out of 4 vs Sox
    1 out of 3 vs Royals

(7-6), treading water is as optimistic as I can be………..and I hope they're selling.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think at this point that this team is a pretender and not a contender. Not trading Suzuki and Willingham is a mistake in my opinion.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I love the optimism. Love it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    What pills do I have to take to be as optimistic as you? I think a lot of things have to go right to make 9-4. I am inclined to be more in line with twinsnorth at 7-6 or 6-7. I was wrong last time as they were two games better than my prediction so here's hoping you are right but I am betting against it.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they could pull that off, I'd be both pleased and impressed. Might dance a jig if they pulled off the 10-3.

Im not even worried at contention realistically. I'm just thinking healthy, working in some promotions in August, obviously more in September, ride a wave of some honest to goodness hope and enthusiasm, and maybe finish the last two months 4-5 games over .500 total. contention for anything or not, that would be a winning record gang.
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    If they could pull that off, I'd be both pleased and impressed. Might dance a jig if they pulled off the 10-3.

Im not even worried at contention realistically. I'm just thinking healthy, working in some promotions in August, obviously more in September, ride a wave of some honest to goodness hope and enthusiasm, and maybe finish the last two months 4-5 games over .500 total. contention for anything or not, that would be a winning record gang.
    Yeah, i'm not in the "playoffs or bust" mentality, but winning breeds more winning. I would love nothing more then to be watching some somewhat meaninful games in August and hopefully Sept.

Also remember, all you gotta do is stay "in it" anything can happen (i.e. 3 games back with 4 games to play)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    (9-4)
    That would represent the Twins best 13-game stretch of the season so far. And that's not even including the 5-1 run just before the break (which by itself matched the Twins best 6 game run of the season), which would make for a 14-5 run in total.

For comparison, when the Royals briefly vaulted themselves into 1st place on the back of a 10 game win streak, they had a 14-4 run. Detroit reclaimed first place with a 16-5 run. Basically, such runs are generally the domain of the better or most surprising teams in baseball. Do you really expect the Twins to establish themselves like that over the next two weeks? What players are going to be the ones to majorly step forward the next two weeks to make it happen? I don't see them achieving that predicted record as a run of the mill team just hanging in the race.

I am glad that you nailed your prediction just before the break, but that was only for 4 games. Take it one series at a time, man!

That would be great if it does happen. Would certainly be interesting if it were to occur what frame of mind Terry Ryan would then be in? Having that record would mean we are playing consistent ball which I as a fan am looking for. GO TWINS!!!

The Twins finished off their pre all-star schedule on a bit of an upswing and now sit 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the wild card hunt. Much will be written about the trade deadline and obviously these next two weeks will determine whether the Twins:

Become complete sellers after falling completely out of it. Minor sellers after treading water. Holding if they climb back into the race, or minor buyers if they get on fire in the next two weeks.

The Twins have a large strip of games at home with 3 vs Tampa, 3 vs Cleveland and 4 vs the Pale hose. Then 3 games at the baby Royals before the deadline hits.

My predictions:
    2 out of 3 vs Tampa
    2 out of 3 vs Cleveland
    3 out of 4 vs White Sox
    2 out of 3 vs Royals.

(9-4)

This would put the Twins at one game under .500 at the deadline and likely within 4.5 games or so of the wild card. At this point I would like/expect the Twins to simply be minor sellers or holders. (Correia/Burton traded for anything+ Willingham/Suzuki kept around)

If they can somehow win 10 or 11 of those games then I would like to see them try to bring in some CF help at a low cost.

The march to the playoffs continue

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    That would represent the Twins best 13-game stretch of the season so far. And that's not even including the 5-1 run just before the break (which by itself matched the Twins best 6 game run of the season), which would make for a 14-5 run in total.

For comparison, when the Royals briefly vaulted themselves into 1st place on the back of a 10 game win streak, they had a 14-4 run. Detroit reclaimed first place with a 16-5 run. Basically, such runs are generally the domain of the better or most surprising teams in baseball. Do you really expect the Twins to establish themselves like that over the next two weeks? What players are going to be the ones to majorly step forward the next two weeks to make it happen? I don't see them achieving that predicted record as a run of the mill team just hanging in the race.

I am glad that you nailed your prediction just before the break, but that was only for 4 games. Take it one series at a time, man!
    True, I am better with my 4 game predictions, I actually called the Twins coming back from 3 games back with 4 to play to a T (and game 163). The old BYTO folks will remember that.

As far as players who can step up:
    Hughes, Gibson, Meyer!, Pino, Correia all have the capabilities to keep us in the games along with the occasional gem.

As far as who steps up hitting wise? Seems like a good time for Doizer/Willingham/Morales to all get hot and hit some bombs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as players who can step up:
    Hughes, Gibson, Meyer!, Pino, Correia all have the capabilities to keep us in the games along with the occasional gem.

As far as who steps up hitting wise? Seems like a good time for Doizer/Willingham/Morales to all get hot and hit some bombs.
    Problem is, aside from Meyer, those pitchers you mention have already "stepped up" to that level (Hughes and Gibson pretty much all season, Correia the past 2 months, and Pino for his month), yet we're still a sub-.500 team. Same with Dozier -- he's been more or less fine all year. We need serious stepping up beyond these guys to suddenly and dramatically improve our record.

We'd probably need at least 3 of Willingham, Morales, Mauer, or Arcia to get super-hot immediately to get on that kind of a roll (and we still might need unexpected high-level pitching from Johnson/Nolasco, or great debuts from Meyer/May, to make it happen). None of these 4 hitters have shown any kind of sustainable offense yet this season (Willingham and Arcia arguably didn't in 2013 either), so I'm kinda doubtful it all clicks for them at the same time now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 473 Times in 231 Posts
    0-13 Gardy and Anderson offered extensions. BOOK IT!
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins need to become sellers at 54 losses.

There is still hope, but the window is closing after stumbling out if the second half gate. Two teams desperate for wins. One team looked ready.

2 of Willingham, Moralas, and Suzuki will be traded At or before the deadling. My guess, Willingham and suzuki. I think one of these teams with all these pitchers getting hurt may over pay a bit for Correia. Especially if a burton or Duensing are included. Watch for the mariners to be a possible destination. Correia could be a good fit there. Angels will be looking for relief help. Just a couple of teams that could be darkhorses to go a cheaper/shorter commitment route. If Moralas heats up and gets closer to career norms, i could see and team needing a bat looking at him in August, (Yankees) if they are in it.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of record, there are pieces that need to be sold before the deadline ie Correia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Twins need to go 9-1 over their next 10 games, good luck. I hope nobody went ahead and booked it.

Coming out looking like this at home, after all that trash they talked about proving that we shouldn't be sellers, shows the kind of (lack of) heart that is on this club.
    It's getting very depressing thinking we could be looking at several more years of this mess, as I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they have 9 games before the deadline. The game on the 31st is after the deadline. They need to go 9-0 to be .500 at the deadline.

One more loss and it is time to sell off everyone without a 2015 commitment for whatever the market will return.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Twins need to go 9-1 over their next 10 games, good luck. I hope nobody went ahead and booked it.

Coming out looking like this at home, after all that trash they talked about proving that we shouldn't be sellers, shows the kind of (lack of) heart that is on this club.
    It's getting very depressing thinking we could be looking at several more years of this mess, as I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.
    Lack of heart? I think they're just not very good, up and down the lineup.

19. These 3 users like ScrapTheNickname's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (07-20-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-20-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-20-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    Lack of heart? I think they're just not very good, up and down the lineup.
    Bingo! We have a winner.

21. These 3 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-20-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-20-2014), TwinsTerritory (07-20-2014)

Liked 715 Times in 379 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    ...I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.
    It's not easy to distinguish between lack of heart and lack of ability. Also, the Rays seem to be playing well.

Let's not turn this into a squabble about lack of heart. I am not denying that there may be a lack of heart, but the evidence so far seems inconclusive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast