Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: May scratched tonight in favor of Pino

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

May scratched tonight in favor of Pino

Yohan Pino is now listed as tonight's starter for the Red Wings, with May moved back to Friday night, and Alex Meyer to Saturday.

This sets up Johnson to start on Monday for the Twins (as he's been listed on ESPN since Sunday evening) and Pino to get the start for the Twins on Tuesday if Nolasco can't go.

So, bottom line no imminent move to May or Meyer before the deadline trading period is determined one way or the other. I suppose a bad performance by either Johnson or Pino in the meantime might change the timetable without a Correia trade or longer DL stay for Nolasco.
    Last edited by jokin; 07-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update.

This is what I've been speculating, unfortunately. And I am really not convinced that the trading deadline is going to open up any more spots -- the open spot is Pino's (and Johnson's, at the moment). Would love to see them used on actual prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I can't even begin to describe how much 87 MPH fastballs make me want to watch the 2nd half of this season.

4. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (07-18-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense... Get May a start or two after missing 3-4 weeks. Let Meyer come up August 1. Works for me.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Makes sense... Get May a start or two after missing 3-4 weeks. Let Meyer come up August 1. Works for me.
    Yeah, it looks like the theory that has been floated all along about Meyer taking Correia's roster spot might still come to fruition. But I still am not getting my hopes up too high for Meyer getting the call before September, or next year.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Jeremy's update, May moved back another day. Does that have any more significance, now pairing Meyer up with Nolasco's spot, rather than May?

Jeremy Nygaard @jeremynygaard · 36m

Let's try this all again: #RedWings website has it backwards. It'll be Pino tonight, Meyer tomorrow and May on Saturday.

Jeremy Nygaard @jeremynygaard · 39m

Just learned the #RedWings are coming out of the break with Pino, Meyer and then May - not vice versa - as their website shows.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Jeremy's update, May moved back another day. Does that have any more significance, now pairing Meyer up with Nolasco's spot, rather than May?
    Let's hope so. I appreciate that calling up May without a couple of starts would be a mistake, but rolling out Johnson and Pino for more than a start (or two) would be uninspiring to say the least.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The longer they wait to give May and Meyer the call........ the more innings used on limited innings arms in AAA, and the less fresh those arms are. It would be more prudent to let them have the shot with fresher arms.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is pointless. Meyer and May aren't coming up ever. In fact, I'm starting to doubt they aren't even real. They are an elaborate hoax created by the Twins to keep fans interested. I'm not fooled anymore. This circus is over boys! I feel a whole lot better knowing they aren't actually real.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

11. These 8 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (07-17-2014), GCTF (07-17-2014), h2oface (07-17-2014), maxisagod (07-17-2014), mike wants wins (07-17-2014), Mr. Brooks (07-18-2014), Taildragger8791 (07-18-2014), TheLeviathan (07-18-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the cynicism, especially after May has been on the DL for nearly a month, and Meyer has had 3 OK starts after 3 horrible starts.

That said, Pino didn't exactly pitch well tonight. Pino's been solid for the Twins this year in his limited duty. I have zero problem with sticking by him temporarily. May and Meyer will get their shot. No rush. Twins aren't going to the playoffs.

13. These 3 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-17-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (07-17-2014), Sweetwater (07-17-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There will probably also be a pitch limit on Saturday for May too.

I don't think he was scratched as much as the website just pushed him back a day. Pino will start once before being re-promoted and Hamburger will start the 6th game after break.

I truly believe we would have seen May by the end of the month if it weren't for Sunday's rainout. Still don't think it'll be too long into August before he debuts.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Love the cynicism, especially after May has been on the DL for nearly a month, and Meyer has had 3 OK starts after 3 horrible starts.

That said, Pino didn't exactly pitch well tonight. Pino's been solid for the Twins this year in his limited duty. I have zero problem with sticking by him temporarily. May and Meyer will get their shot. No rush. Twins aren't going to the playoffs.
    I should say so....5 IP, 5 ER, 7 BB...perhaps the inevitable regression to the mediocre mean is happening.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There will probably also be a pitch limit on Saturday for May too.

I don't think he was scratched as much as the website just pushed him back a day. Pino will start once before being re-promoted and Hamburger will start the 6th game after break.

I truly believe we would have seen May by the end of the month if it weren't for Sunday's rainout. Still don't think it'll be too long into August before he debuts.
    Well he started out with a scheduled start on Thursday (which lined him up with Nolasco's scheduled start next Tuesday), he was the only projected starter listed on the Wings site at the time, this afternoon it was bumped to Friday, and then you reported it as being bumped again to Saturday. Probably a clerical mistake for him not starting on Friday, but it may actually be significant in that he now lines up with Correia

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I should say so....5 IP, 5 ER, 7 BB...perhaps the inevitable regression to the mediocre mean is happening.
    It seems like the AAAA pitchers (and many hitters, too) do horrible, even worse than the mediocre stops in the show, once they get sent back to AAA. I could be way off statistically, but that is what it feels like.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    It seems like the AAAA pitchers (and many hitters, too) do horrible, even worse than the mediocre stops in the show, once they get sent back to AAA. I could be way off statistically, but that is what it feels like.
    Liam Hendriks dissents.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

Love the cynicism
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well he started out with a scheduled start on Thursday (which lined him up with Nolasco's scheduled start next Tuesday), he was the only projected starter listed on the Wings site at the time, this afternoon it was bumped to Friday, and then you reported it as being bumped again to Saturday. Probably a clerical mistake for him not starting on Friday, but it may actually be significant in that he now lines up with Correia
    My point was that after the rainout, the people running the site just slid him to tonight without knowledge of how the rotation would be out of the break.