Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drew Butera

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    he must have eaten his spinach.

Drew is batting .350! I better type fast before he slips below .180.

I refuse to get excited over Butera hitting "well" for a week or two because he's never a track record of even passable hitting at ANY level - minors or majors.

On the defensive side of things, yes, I think he's good at his job. I think he's notably better than Mauer, in fact, which is not to say that Mauer is "bad". But my issue is with people who argue this like it's "either/or". Butera got acquired and fast-tracked because he's Sal Butera's kid...and because Morales didn't work out and we traded Ramos. The people who defend him starting 2 out of 5 games because of his defense talk as if every decent defensive catcher in baseball hits .180, which clearly is not the case. Unfortunately, J.R. Towles' numbers at AAA are almost identical to Nishioka's line, and that's unlikely to improve since he's a .187 hitter over 5 seasons in the majors.

Agree with the posters above on the "Nick Punto" argument, except that Butera is so below average even for a catcher, that there's really no hiding him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Butera got acquired and fast-tracked because he's Sal Butera's kid...
    Seems a wee bit speculative to be stated as a fact.

no doubt, Butera is the least of our worries

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Drew Butera continues to hit. I will eat my crow with a knife and fork. However I will use my spoon to scoop out my eyeballs because I will have seen it all and there will be no need to see no more.

Ive been an advocate for playing different players to find the hot hitter and rest the cold ones. I never dreamed that Drew Butera could be an example of what I've been advocating. Drew Butera hitting .350... I can't believe I'm saying this. Play him until he cools off.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Sample size, sample size, sample size.

Drew Butera Batting Gamelogs for Career Games 82 to 89

Date Tm G GS Rslt PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip aLI WPA RE24
    May 29, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011 MIN 8 7 4-4 25 23 6 9 4 0 1 6 1 0 3 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 .391 .400 .696 1.096 .400 .88 0.165 2.97

Drew Butera Batting Gamelogs for Career Games 137 to 142

Date Tm G GS Rslt PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip aLI WPA RE24
    Sep 22, 2011 to Sep 28, 2011 MIN 6 6 3-3 18 12 3 5 0 1 0 4 3 0 1 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 .417 .533 .583 1.117 .455 1.54 0.016 1.35

Liked 1,199 Times in 697 Posts
    At this point, what difference does it make? If by some miracle he continues his hot streak, it helps the team win and maybe makes him a tradeable asset.

It's not like this team is sitting a bunch of .300 (or even .250 or .200) hitters so that Butera can play.

The test will be if he cools off. Will Gardenhire sit him or will the team send him down? That's the only part of the scenario that is troublesome.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    At this point, what difference does it make? If by some miracle he continues his hot streak, it helps the team win and maybe makes him a tradeable asset.

It's not like this team is sitting a bunch of .300 (or even .250 or .200) hitters so that Butera can play.

The test will be if he cools off. Will Gardenhire sit him or will the team send him down? That's the only part of the scenario that is troublesome.
    I can't argue with your point. For me, and probably a lot of others though, I think Butera stands out as the poster boy of what's wrong with the Twins. We see them continue to run out guys that have no business being in a major league lineup over and over again. When the off season comes, rather than upgrade even a little, we just bring them back and do it over again, and then watch Gardy's face turn red when the team loses. You can't expect to win when you are willing to use guys like Butera as your regular catcher for extended periods unless the rest of your lineup features a pile of hall of famers in their prime. Sure he's not the only problem they have, but it's probably the one they continue to repeat the most. It shows a blind spot in the organization, where for some reason certain players are allowed to fail over and over again, yet seem to be "favorites", and other guys don't seem to be given much of chance and are shipped out. It would be one thing to allow a guy like Butera to fail consistently if he had some sort of track record that indicated he could improve, but he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I can't argue with your point. For me, and probably a lot of others though, I think Butera stands out as the poster boy of what's wrong with the Twins. We see them continue to run out guys that have no business being in a major league lineup over and over again. When the off season comes, rather than upgrade even a little, we just bring them back and do it over again, and then watch Gardy's face turn red when the team loses. You can't expect to win when you are willing to use guys like Butera as your regular catcher for extended periods unless the rest of your lineup features a pile of hall of famers in their prime. Sure he's not the only problem they have, but it's probably the one they continue to repeat the most. It shows a blind spot in the organization, where for some reason certain players are allowed to fail over and over again, yet seem to be "favorites", and other guys don't seem to be given much of chance and are shipped out. It would be one thing to allow a guy like Butera to fail consistently if he had some sort of track record that indicated he could improve, but he doesn't.
    I chuckled when I got to "we just bring them back...and watch Gardy's face turn red". Oh, and I agree with your entire take.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123