Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: Doumit to the DL, Ben Revere's Coming Back

  1. #21
    Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Posts
    363
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    These injuries are just becoming ridiculous....The man gets up out of his crouch and pops a hammy????.....REALLY! and our #1 RBI man to boot....It's sickening really..

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    975
    Like
    4
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    New word is that Doumit is not going on the DL. Revere has been called up and Blackburn has been placed on the DL.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Twins did not place Ryan Doumit on the 15-day disabled list.

    It was announced late Wednesday night that Doumit was being made inactive, but there was a change of plans Thursday morning. Nick Blackburn is going on the DL instead with a strained left quad. Doumit is day-to-day after suffering a left calf strain in Wednesday's defeat of the Tigers.


    Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

  4. #24
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,932
    Like
    46
    Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Still hope for Doumit!!! Hopefully just a stretched out the calf and won't be more than a couple of days.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Double-A SirLoin's Avatar
    Posts
    102
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    6
    So who takes Blackburn's spot in the rotation? Swarzak? Liriano?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    So who takes Blackburn's spot in the rotation? Swarzak? Liriano?
    Possibly no one - for now. There's an off day coming up when it would be his turn to go, so they may just skip his spot and figure out a move for the next start.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,059
    Like
    1,235
    Liked 688 Times in 444 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I don't want to make it a Revere forum either, but on what planet can anyone call Revere a "great hitter"? He's just come around to be a good singles hitter in AAA. He has not done so in the majors. And being a great singles hitter is not being a great hitter. And batting is more than just hitting.
    My Planet for one. Travis and I live on this planet with a quite a few others. It's a nice place and we live here happily... I'd invite you to come over but we don't allow any advance metrics on this planet... We prefer to watch the games. We like Ben because he doesn't strike out much... He puts the ball in play and he has unreal speed that can turn singles into doubles and has hit over .300 at every level(yeah majors I know... in due time). He's simply puts pressure on the defense in a different fashion and if you ever played SS against a slappy burner it isn't hard to understand the value of his offensive game.

    There is more to batting than just hitting and more to hitting than quoting BABIP and OPS or OPS+.

    lol... This post was typed with a smile and a good mood. Go Ben!!!

  8. #28
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,938
    Like
    477
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    My Planet for one. Travis and I live on this planet with a quite a few others. It's a nice place and we live here happily... I'd invite you to come over but we don't allow any advance metrics on this planet... We prefer to watch the games. We like Ben because he doesn't strike out much... He puts the ball in play and he has unreal speed that can turn singles into doubles and has hit over .300 at every level(yeah majors I know... in due time). He's simply puts pressure on the defense in a different fashion and if you ever played SS against a slappy burner it isn't hard to understand the value of his offensive game.

    There is more to batting than just hitting and more to hitting than quoting BABIP and OPS or OPS+.



    lol... This post was typed with a smile and a good mood. Go Ben!!!
    I live on that planet as well, it doesn't make my head hurt like those other planets some people live on. Revere is fun to watch, I like fun, my 6 year old son likes fun too and he thinks Ben Revere is the best "catcher" (not backcatcher, just catcher) on the team.....that's fun.

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    I didn't say that Ben Revere wasn't a good all-around player who was fun to watch and put pressure on the defense.

    It is just false, as in not true, however, to say that he is a great hitter! I mean he had, what, 31 hits in Rochester this year and 30 of them were singles.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,059
    Like
    1,235
    Liked 688 Times in 444 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I didn't say that Ben Revere wasn't a good all-around player who was fun to watch and put pressure on the defense.

    It is just false, as in not true, however, to say that he is a great hitter! I mean he had, what, 31 hits in Rochester this year and 30 of them were singles.
    I didn't say... That you said... I think our difference in opinion stems from what is a great hitter. Compare him to Hamilton and he is not a great hitter. Compare him to Mario Mendoza and Ben is a great hitter. The Guy makes contact and consistently puts the ball in play... As long as they are not fly balls... This is good and it makes him a great hitter in a different type of way. Holding his lack of XBH against him is like looking at a rabbit and saying its not an Armadillo. You wouldn't ask Morneau to become a stolen base threat.

    I'm a Ben fan and I'd like him in this lineup right now. I would not start him over Josh Hamilton or Jay Bruce or Shin Soo Choo. We just don't have any spare Hamilton's and Bruce's around at the moment.

    Travis, twinsnorth and I just come from a different baseball planet. We don't worry about 30 singles out of 31 in AAA. We'd like to see him improve the plate discipline and work some more walks and add bunt singles to his game. Get his OBP up anyway he can and I think he will.

    Ben just needs to keep running into walls making plays, Make the pitcher think about him on base and deliver fastballs to the two hitter because of the base threat he is and just reach the cutoff man without incident.

    If you ever come to visit our planet. twinsnorth will give you a Labatt's.

  11. #31
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,938
    Like
    477
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If you ever come to visit our planet. twinsnorth will give you a Labatt's.
    For sure eh, a 50, it's all good.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I didn't say... That you said... I think our difference in opinion stems from what is a great hitter. Compare him to Hamilton and he is not a great hitter. Compare him to Mario Mendoza and Ben is a great hitter. The Guy makes contact and consistently puts the ball in play... As long as they are not fly balls... This is good and it makes him a great hitter in a different type of way. Holding his lack of XBH against him is like looking at a rabbit and saying its not an Armadillo. You wouldn't ask Morneau to become a stolen base threat.

    I'm a Ben fan and I'd like him in this lineup right now. I would not start him over Josh Hamilton or Jay Bruce or Shin Soo Choo. We just don't have any spare Hamilton's and Bruce's around at the moment.

    Travis, twinsnorth and I just come from a different baseball planet. We don't worry about 30 singles out of 31 in AAA. We'd like to see him improve the plate discipline and work some more walks and add bunt singles to his game. Get his OBP up anyway he can and I think he will.

    Ben just needs to keep running into walls making plays, Make the pitcher think about him on base and deliver fastballs to the two hitter because of the base threat he is and just reach the cutoff man without incident.

    If you ever come to visit our planet. twinsnorth will give you a Labatt's.
    I am not sure so that "great hitter" is the problem, but, like Clinton, what "is" is. I think Revere is only proving himself this year as a AAA hitter ("great" I don't know, but whatever). He is not, as in presently, a great MLB hitter. I am not asking him to slug .400, but he has slugged .302 in 531 major league plate appearances. If .302 was his batting average, then the discussion of IS he a great hitter could begin. Stealing that number of bases is great, and there should be some way to properly calculate that as some fraction of a double (or triple). Both his average and his slugging will go up if instead of grounding to second and short, he lines the ball over them and into the gaps. .320/.360/.360 is what I would look for from him, but I would take .300/.340/.340 if he is batting 8th or 9th and stealing 50+ bases. And playing left field . . .

    Speaking of, keep in mind that I am more with you than against you on your overall evaluation of Revere. And I don't really understand how Willingham's lack of professional "baseballerness" in not making a simple move to an EASIER (in TF) OF position. That started a chain reaction that changed a rather dynamic Revere-Span-Willingham OF into a bad LF defense and ridiculous offensive and defensive RF situation that is absurd. Given J-Will's stubbornness, I do think that they had to send Revere to Rochester. Jokes like Clete Thomas got involved . . . how about THAT lowering Willingham's WAR and WPA!!!!!!!!

    I was thinking of blogging about the alternative universe in which the Twins started as planned originally with Revere in LF. I will get that soonish.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Speaking of, keep in mind that I am more with you than against you on your overall evaluation of Revere. And I don't really understand how Willingham's lack of professional "baseballerness" in not making a simple move to an EASIER (in TF) OF position. That started a chain reaction that changed a rather dynamic Revere-Span-Willingham OF into a bad LF defense and ridiculous offensive and defensive RF situation that is absurd. Given J-Will's stubbornness, I do think that they had to send Revere to Rochester. Jokes like Clete Thomas got involved . . . how about THAT lowering Willingham's WAR and WPA!!!!!!!!

    I was thinking of blogging about the alternative universe in which the Twins started as planned originally with Revere in LF. I will get that soonish.
    STILL haven't seen anywhere where he was unwilling. Everything at the time was about Revere not impressing as expected in left (and for reasons listed aplenty here and elsewhere) or offensively. Take away that and now put the Hammer in right field and all you do is switch the hole from one side to the other. All the other options used are either equally adept (or not adept) at either corner or equally inexperienced at either one. So why not put Willingham where he's likely better and more comfortable? If he was unwilling, why wouldn't he have been so from the get go?

  14. #34
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    100
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I agree Revere should not be right field, but he should be playing every day for the Twins over guys like Plouffe, Komatsu, and Mastroianni. He is a career .326 hitter in the minor leagues and 160 stolen bases. So yeah i stand by my point that Ben Revere is a great minor league hitter who only has had 496 major league ab's and to say he will not be a great mlb hitter is foolish because that is such a small sample size. I don't believe he has gotten the opportunity to play everyday except last year when he was a rookie. I guarantee you if he played everyday this year he would put up signficantly better numbers than he did last season. He is only 24 years old and he is only going to get better. The thing that I disagree with people all the time is you act like a singles hitter is a bad thing. Add in his speed and he is not a singles hitter he is a nuisance and a basestealer the Twins haven't had in years. Look at the late 80's Cardinal teams with Vince Coleman, Ozzie Smith, and Willie Mcgee were singles hitter that ran roughshot on the bases. I don't know if Revere can be that good, but those criticizing him because he is a singles hitter are selling him short. If he can learn to take a few more walks to increase his OBP I would be completly happy having Ben Revere starting for the Twins.

  15. #35
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,644
    Like
    897
    Liked 637 Times in 247 Posts
    "Great" minor league hitters don't OPS .700.

  16. #36
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,395
    Like
    1,497
    Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    "Great" minor league hitters don't OPS .700.
    He's got a great smile. That adds a lot of value.

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    STILL haven't seen anywhere where he was unwilling. Everything at the time was about Revere not impressing as expected in left (and for reasons listed aplenty here and elsewhere) or offensively. Take away that and now put the Hammer in right field and all you do is switch the hole from one side to the other. All the other options used are either equally adept (or not adept) at either corner or equally inexperienced at either one. So why not put Willingham where he's likely better and more comfortable? If he was unwilling, why wouldn't he have been so from the get go?
    Fair enough, but A: he did remark about being more comfortable in LF, B: Revere was not impressing when? In ST? Yet another decision made based on ST performance with this team. I do remember hearing some jabbering about defensive problems this spring, you are correct. But that's stupid, and they are stupid if they let that impact the decision to keep Willingham in left and not have Revere there. Of course without Revere, Willingham should be in LF.

    So maybe I have Gardy, et al. to blame instead of Willingham? That strangely makes me feel better.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    I'm sure surprised Revere was called up considering the upper management hates him. They prefer Homacksu and Clete Thomas to Revere. They also refuse to stand up to Span and tell him he is moving to right field.
    Management hates Slama far more than Revere. He gets too many strikeouts for their liking.

  19. #39
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,644
    Like
    897
    Liked 637 Times in 247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    He's got a great smile. That adds a lot of value.
    You got me there, he really does have a great smile.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Fair enough, but A: he did remark about being more comfortable in LF, B: Revere was not impressing when? In ST? Yet another decision made based on ST performance with this team. I do remember hearing some jabbering about defensive problems this spring, you are correct. But that's stupid, and they are stupid if they let that impact the decision to keep Willingham in left and not have Revere there. Of course without Revere, Willingham should be in LF.

    So maybe I have Gardy, et al. to blame instead of Willingham? That strangely makes me feel better.
    I would agree that Gardy is who you are after from what I've seen and read and all that (assuming one finds blame necessary...I don't know enough to know if there is any need for it). But to answer B, yes the comments came from fairly early in spring training (again, not saying they were correct, but that's when they happened) that boiled down to not liking some things about Revere in LF. But we certainly know it wasn't unwillingness from Willingham...cuz otherwise his name would be Unwillingham. I don't care if that seems forced, I've been dying to use some form of that joke for a while now. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.