Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doumit to the DL, Ben Revere's Coming Back

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I would agree that Gardy is who you are after from what I've seen and read and all that (assuming one finds blame necessary...I don't know enough to know if there is any need for it). But to answer B, yes the comments came from fairly early in spring training (again, not saying they were correct, but that's when they happened) that boiled down to not liking some things about Revere in LF. But we certainly know it wasn't unwillingness from Willingham...cuz otherwise his name would be Unwillingham. I don't care if that seems forced, I've been dying to use some form of that joke for a while now. I couldn't hold it in any longer.
    Haha, well I would have preferred Revere in LF and Willingham in RF than what ended up happening.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I would agree that Gardy is who you are after from what I've seen and read and all that (assuming one finds blame necessary...I don't know enough to know if there is any need for it). But to answer B, yes the comments came from fairly early in spring training (again, not saying they were correct, but that's when they happened) that boiled down to not liking some things about Revere in LF. But we certainly know it wasn't unwillingness from Willingham...cuz otherwise his name would be Unwillingham. I don't care if that seems forced, I've been dying to use some form of that joke for a while now. I couldn't hold it in any longer.
    Sometimes you gotta force them in. You could end up waiting until August for proper comedic context. By August the mood on this site could be a tough crowd. Just to let you know... I appreciate "Unwillingham" and give you full credit.

Ive been waiting for the chance to call him Accomodating-Bacon for the humor and the chance just hasn't arrived. When it does... Its going to magical.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Haha, well I would have preferred Revere in LF and Willingham in RF than what ended up happening.
    I think I would have, too. I just don't know that for sure (based on things that I just don't know), and I don't think the reason for it is properly assigned to the Accomodating Bacon. That's all.

Blog Entries
    Willingham was never unwilling. He mentioned that RF would be a new experience... That's all. He was prepping for it. I don't recall any Ben in LF concerns coming out of spring training.

It all changed when Justin became a DH. That was Doumits spot. Doumit moved to RF as a result because Doumit said he was not comfortable at all playing 1B. Willingham then moved back to his LF spot. Parmelee had a good spring and he became the surprise 1B and All the shuffling piled up on Ben and he became the 4th outfielder. It all changed the last week of spring and was a chain reaction.

I can be as wrong as the next guy but I liked the original lineup pre spring training and think we would have been better off in the offense and defense department.
    Span CF
    Carroll SS
    Mauer C
    Morneau 1B
    Willingham RF
    Doumit DH
    Velencia 3B
    Casilla 2B
    Revere LF

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    How bad is Doumit? Will he play this weekend?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardy is not the reason that Revere spent most of the season so far in Rochester. That credit goes to Terry Ryan who told everyone that would listen that Revere was nothing more than a 4th outfielder. I respect Terry Ryan's opinion, but i think he is wrong about Ben Revere as I think he brings so much to the plate. Look at the lineup yesterday after Morneau you had a 6-9 of Plouffe, Casilla, Butera(I know drew had 3 hits, but that will never ever happen again), and Carroll. So basically every inning or 2 it was an easy inning for the pitcher. With Plouffe he should not be starting, I know he has 3 homeruns but that is also 30 percent of the hits he has on the year and thats terrible. There is no doubt in my mind the proper 2013 lineup for the Twins should be.
    1. Span CF
    2. Dozier SS
    3. Mauer C
    4. Willingham RF
    5. Morneau 1b
    6. Doumit DH
    7. Valencia 3b
    8. Carroll 2b
    9. Revere LF

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ryan Doumit (calf) is expected only to be available as a pinch-hitter for the weekend series against the Brewers.

Not surprising. It had looked like Doumit was headed for the disabled list, but the Twins have decided to hold off. He's not ready to start just yet but thinks he'll be available for DH duty starting next Tuesday. "Best-case scenario is ... I'll be ready to DH or do something like that [Tuesday], the first game in Chicago, so that's what I'm hoping for," Doumit said.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

@Riverbrian - I think that Revere, not Morneau, was the primary reason the lineup shuffled the way it did. We're so in the middle of this terrible pitching season in 2012, that you have to keep in mind how anemic the hitting was in 2011. Gardy (to his credit, I think) tried to change it up and put a more powerful lineup on the field. He did that even though they are invested in Revere and I think they like him as a kid. Playing a "National League" style of offense comes naturally to Gardy, and I think he did the right thing going against his comfort zone to give the team a chance to be better. The fact that it didn't work had much more to do with the weakness of the talent pool than anything Gardy did. We know what Revere is, and playing him would not have solved the problem. The problem was that we basically "whiffed" on Parmelee, Plouffe, Carroll, Burroughs, Valencia, and Casilla - all of whom had sub-standard starts.

@Top Gun - I think the mere fact that the Twins decided not to DL Doumit...means that he will probably be hurt for much longer than anticipated. Doumit has never been able to remain healthy, and the description of a "pop" in his calf did not sound good. Plus, we're headed to an NL park, which means the only options for him are C or RF. Catcher's about the worst thing you could do with a sore calf (right?) and it's tough to imagine his range being even worse in RF. I would sit him out for the Brewers series and make sure he's right.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    So with Doumit out for the weekend, or at least not starting this weekend does Joe Catch all three games? Do we give one start to Butera and then start Joe at first or give him the day off? How does this affect Justin at first?

I'm leaning towards and think Gardy will have Joe start all three games, starting one of those at first to give Justin the day off. Hopefully Doumit will only miss this series as his injury really limits the flexibility of our already limited roster.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    For a AAA singles hitter that sure was a nice lead off triple Revere hit tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    @Riverbrian - I think that Revere, not Morneau, was the primary reason the lineup shuffled the way it did. We're so in the middle of this terrible pitching season in 2012, that you have to keep in mind how anemic the hitting was in 2011. Gardy (to his credit, I think) tried to change it up and put a more powerful lineup on the field. He did that even though they are invested in Revere and I think they like him as a kid. Playing a "National League" style of offense comes naturally to Gardy, and I think he did the right thing going against his comfort zone to give the team a chance to be better. The fact that it didn't work had much more to do with the weakness of the talent pool than anything Gardy did. We know what Revere is, and playing him would not have solved the problem. The problem was that we basically "whiffed" on Parmelee, Plouffe, Carroll, Burroughs, Valencia, and Casilla - all of whom had sub-standard starts.
    I don't think Ben solves our Offense problems. Like I said... I can be as wrong as the next guy. I said I was comfortable with the original pre spring training projected lineup with Ben in LF. Despite my comfortableness with the lineup pre April... It didn't come to play in April and it had nothing to do with Ben being the 4th OF or in Rochester.

I remember the 2011 Tosoni, Tolbert, Repko attack. For that reason I was looking forward to full year of Ben on the base paths and defense wall climbing. I watched 2011 and Ben was the only reason I kept watching. It was a downyear and I feel Ben was an up in the face of it.

All in all... You could be right but I personally don't think Ben lost his 2012 LF job based on his play in Spring. He was typical Ben in The Grapefruit. Morneau not playing 1B was the first domino that eventually fell on Ben. The headlines ran side by side. Willingham to LF and Morneau to DH. Where is Doumit going to play? Again I can be as wrong as the next guy but I'm pretty sure that Willingham didn't refuse to play RF. He spent the majority of spring in RF and held his own.

Doumit needed a spot cuz Morneau took his. I also think Parmelee took Butera or Towles out and that really moved Doumit away from DH and if Morneau is going to not play first. Well... That becomes Parmelee. When the music stopped. Ben didn't have a chair.

I felt bad for the kid... I'm really pulling for him. I still think LF should be his.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    For a AAA singles hitter that sure was a nice lead off triple Revere hit tonight.
    A big EH on the end of that... High five Canadien Neighbor. Reaching on that error was speed related rushing as well. I put the stop watch on him for triple. Home to 3b in 1.3 seconds. I used the same stop watch to time my trip from Grand Forks to Winnipeg. 28 minutes including a stop at the border and a search of my car. They weren't suspicious of anything. They just couldn't believe it was actually a functioning car.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    A big EH on the end of that... High five Canadien Neighbor. Reaching on that error was speed related rushing as well. I put the stop watch on him for triple. Home to 3b in 1.3 seconds. I used the same stop watch to time my trip from Grand Forks to Winnipeg. 28 minutes including a stop at the border and a search of my car. They weren't suspicious of anything. They just couldn't believe it was actually a functioning car.
    I am glad for him as well. I really want to see doubles and triples from Revere. I am not sure how the evidence doesn't support Revere being a AAA singles hitter though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I am glad for him as well. I really want to see doubles and triples from Revere. I am not sure how the evidence doesn't support Revere being a AAA singles hitter though.
    Don't pretend you like him now. It's too late for that. Just kidding. He is a singles hitter... no one is disputing that or at least should dispute that.

North was just saying how ah-boot that triple eh!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123