Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Who do you fire?

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,061
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    233

    Who do you fire?

    Let's say the Twins get to the point over the next few weeks that an inevitable shake-up needs to occur. Similar to what the Angels just did with the firing of hitting coach Mickey Hatcher, let's say the Twins front office decide to send a message to the clubhouse by axing either hitting coach Joe Vavra or pitching coach Rick Anderson. Which of the two would you fire and why?

    Note: One or the other and not both. No cheating by saying Ron Gardenhire or Terry Ryan.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,995
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Rick Anderson, in part because the pitching is so completely terrible, but more in particular because has been so terrible consistently early in games. Something has got to be off with preparation and approach, and I have a hard time believing that each individual pitcher is having the same problem independently.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    445
    Like
    1
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Rick Anderson, in part because the pitching is so completely terrible, but more in particular because has been so terrible consistently early in games. Something has got to be off with preparation and approach, and I have a hard time believing that each individual pitcher is having the same problem independently.
    I agree with this. Plus even when we have had decent pitching in the past, under Anderson the whole starting staff would collapse at the same time (Usually for the month of June).

  4. #4
    Senior Member Double-A DJSim22's Avatar
    Posts
    129
    Like
    51
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I tend to agree with the previous posts and say Anderson, but there's no way that happens. They'd get rid of Vavra first, Anderson is Gardy's guy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Anderson (and promote Bobby Cuellar.) He is the closest to Gardenhire so it will give the loudest message and pitching has been worse than hitting.

    This off-season all but Jerry White need to go (including Gardy); a new (non-interim) GM should be hired and a new minor league director as well to start working with the new Twins' minor league affiliates
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  6. #6
    There is an article on Yahoo! right now about the need to fire Vavra,

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minneso...0057--mlb.html

    although I personally would choose Anderson to get the axe.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,620
    Like
    70
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Anderson's case is hurt by the simple fact the Cuellar's AAA/AAAA starters are showing up Anderson's veteran starters by miles. He's been a great Twin and for awhile was considered the best pitching coach outside of Dave Duncan, but I don't see how Anderson will survive into 2013 especially considering a promotion is probably well deserved and overdue for Cuellar anyway.

  8. #8
    I want Tom Brunansky in the major league dugout working with these batters. Especially Joe Mauer. I have the 1987 World Series DVD set, and Brunansky swings at- and hits- the first pitch each time. That Game 1 of the ALCS is in there, and Bruno - and all the batters around hit- are hitting huge singles and doubles on the first pitch.

    Now, I'm not saying that everytime... but when the pitcher is in a first-strike groove... swing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,369
    Like
    1,324
    Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    I'm not thrilled with the parameters you've established but within those parameters, I really don't care which one is fired FIRST.

    Beyond that, what Thrylos said.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't agree with the parameters either, but to answer the question, I'd probably lean towards Vavra. Yes, the pitching has been worse overall, but the hitting has been worse relative to what it's capable of. I think replacing Vavra is more likely to spark the offense than replacing Anderson is to spark the pitching.

    You can't really liken this to the Angels situation. They were expected to content this year, and still think they can. So they canned Hatcher hoping it create a spark while appeasing Pujols, who obviously wasn't happy with Hatcher.

    The Twins have already started focusing on next year and beyond. There's no sense trying to salvage this year by firing coaches in hopes it will spark immediate results. And it doesn't seem like the players have quit on these guys or want them gone. So I don't see what's to be gained in firing one guy in May.

    The rest of this season should determine the fate of the coaching staff. If we see a miraculous turnaround, fine, keep them. But if this team continues a slow death march to another 90+ losses, it's time for wholesale change this offseason. (And it wouldn't really be fair to whoever replaced Andy or Vavra in May if they had to face an uncertain future with regime change in October.)

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,693
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    If nothing else, I think the Twins need a Spanish speaking coach, which could be Cueller. Plus, maybe he gets something out of Liriano.

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,537
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I'd fire Rick Anderson first... we keep hearing that saying "So-n-So can work under Rick Anderson." Honestly, the last time that I think Anderson helped turn someone's career around was LaTroy Hawkins... in 2002. That said, I don't know what he's been given to work with this year. Perkins and Burton have certainly been good.

    I really think Vavra is a good hitting coach. The Twins have been horrible situational hitters this season, but I think that's more of an organizational philosophy that's gone downhill since TK left.

    Tom Brunansky is the big name right now... and I can't help but wonder why. That New Britain team had some guys who give him a lot of credit... but what has he shown in AAA this year. the Red Wings offense is weak. Benson has been demoted. Dozier was hitting under .200 over his past 19 games when the Twins called him up. So, is he really the answer? Some want Molitor, but he's been a failed hitting coach. Rod Carew? Hall of Fame hitter, but failed hitting coach. I think some don't like Vavra because he isn't a former player, a name... And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I don't agree with the parameters either, but to answer the question, I'd probably lean towards Vavra. Yes, the pitching has been worse overall, but the hitting has been worse relative to what it's capable of. I think replacing Vavra is more likely to spark the offense than replacing Anderson is to spark the pitching.

    You can't really liken this to the Angels situation. They were expected to content this year, and still think they can. So they canned Hatcher hoping it create a spark while appeasing Pujols, who obviously wasn't happy with Hatcher.

    The Twins have already started focusing on next year and beyond. There's no sense trying to salvage this year by firing coaches in hopes it will spark immediate results. And it doesn't seem like the players have quit on these guys or want them gone. So I don't see what's to be gained in firing one guy in May.

    The rest of this season should determine the fate of the coaching staff. If we see a miraculous turnaround, fine, keep them. But if this team continues a slow death march to another 90+ losses, it's time for wholesale change this offseason. (And it wouldn't really be fair to whoever replaced Andy or Vavra in May if they had to face an uncertain future with regime change in October.)

    This is one of the few times in my life I have nothing to add.

  14. #14
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,061
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    233
    @one_eyed_jack: Relax, it's a hypothetical question created to spark the discussion on the two coaches.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Posts
    777
    Like
    18
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woolhouse View Post
    I want Tom Brunansky in the major league dugout working with these batters. Especially Joe Mauer. I have the 1987 World Series DVD set, and Brunansky swings at- and hits- the first pitch each time. That Game 1 of the ALCS is in there, and Bruno - and all the batters around hit- are hitting huge singles and doubles on the first pitch.

    Now, I'm not saying that everytime... but when the pitcher is in a first-strike groove... swing.
    If he is the one getting Drew Butera hitting, I want him up too.

  16. #16
    Anderson first.

    Seconds later: Ryan, medical staff, and entire scouting dept.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,091
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Carl Pohlad, Bill Smith, Dan Gladden, and Wally the Beer Man.

  18. #18
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    54
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    If I had to fire somebody it would have to be Vavra for one reason, the entire organization needs Mauer to learn to hit for more power with his contract. I know he can learn, I think it is up to Vavra to teach him, he hasn't done it. We can say the same for Anderson not getting Liriano on board, but he isn't a psychologist. We need both the players, we need Mauer more.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I really think Vavra is a good hitting coach. The Twins have been horrible situational hitters this season, but I think that's more of an organizational philosophy that's gone downhill since TK left.
    I'd really like to know why you think Vavra is a good hitting coach. I can't see any reason to defend him really. The Twins take lots of walks, but overall I don't think he has really progressed players at the MLB level. Parmelee is a perfect example. This might be a good idea for an article if you really want to try and convince people including myself.

  20. #20
    Andersom, no question but Bruno is the up n comer....so hopefully both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.