Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do you fire?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Anderson today, the fat stupid slob manager tomorrow.
    ---Well this certainly takes the discussion level up a couple of notches. Were you planning on keeping that dumb poopy-head Joe Vavra or was that an error of omission?

First, offer the coaching job and then fire. (make sure the person wanted is willing)

So, offer the job of pitching coach to Blyleven. If he says no, then offer the job of hitting coach to Roy Smalley.

Kind of hard for the youngsters to ignore a HOF pitching coach and a hitting coach with a World Series ring.

(someone needs to invent an emoticon that signifies tongue in cheek)

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone mentioned the lack of preparation for starting pitchers. I'm also irked by the lack of adjustments being made. With all these guys struggling, you'd think at least one of them would be able to turn it around with some help from the pitching coach, but we're seeing no meaningful improvements from Liriano, or Blackburn, or Marquis. Hendriks seemed to have no plan on the mound. I wonder if a change in guidance for the pitching staff would help.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    So, offer the job of pitching coach to Blyleven. If he says no, then offer the job of hitting coach to Roy Smalley.

Kind of hard for the youngsters to ignore a HOF pitching coach and a hitting coach with a World Series ring.
    Just for correctness' sake:
    Smalley might have a ring and might have beenawarded a post-season $ share in 87, but he never played any post-season games with the Twins. He was traded to the Yankees mid-season. Brunansky on the other hand...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-18-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Mmmmm- if I had a choice - Steve Liddle - he has no clue! But, given the choices - Anderson. If the "pitch-to-contact" theory is his, please do it tomorrow so we can move on and start trying to actually become a staff of pitchers. I just can not warm to that philosophy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So I emailed KFAN today about Cuellar replacing Anderson and Dark Star went off on me.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Smalley might have a ring and might have beenawarded a post-season $ share in 87, but he never played any post-season games with the Twins. He was traded to the Yankees mid-season. Brunansky on the other hand...
    You are totally wrong about Smalley. Smalley had one plate appearance and walked in Game 7 of the '87 series. He was traded to the Yankees much earlier in his career and had returned.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Smalley walked to load the bases in the bottom of the sixth, ahead of a two run double by Greg Gagne.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say Vavra...this team just does'nt hit for any power...Now i don't have to see 200 HR's a yr that's not gonna happen but the last few games aside we don't even hit that many doubles. We lead the ML is ground balls so it's an approach thing it seems to me. Mauer should be a doubles machine and while he's had good yrs in that dept, and has had a myriad of injuries it seems to me that if he won't hit HR's which would be nice too then at least he should produce 5 or 6 dozen 2B a yr.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Um, http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98710180.shtml

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's look at two things. The Twins are not going to fire a coach in the regular season. I feel Bruno will be the hitting coach here next year, on merit. Gardy is too close to Anderson and this may be both if TR tries to relieve Anderson(much as TK and DIck Such) and I feel Dick Such was not as good as Anderson. Terry Ryan is not going anywhere (his bullpen patch job has been remarkable), see if he has another mircle next year with the starting staff.
    A coach is only as good as the talent he has. Anderson does not have a great deal of talent in this pitching staff, hitting is a different story.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Someone mentioned the lack of preparation for starting pitchers. I'm also irked by the lack of adjustments being made. With all these guys struggling, you'd think at least one of them would be able to turn it around with some help from the pitching coach, but we're seeing no meaningful improvements from Liriano, or Blackburn, or Marquis. Hendriks seemed to have no plan on the mound. I wonder if a change in guidance for the pitching staff would help.
    Absolutely. And again, the AAA pitcher gets the job done (marginally) again. Pavano and Marquis the next two days . . .

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Well, as much as I think they both need to go..if I have to chose one, it's Anderson. He's been here a long time, and over that time has seemed to have a lot of communication problems, especially with high upside type guys. If he had just had a problem with Liriano, it would be one thing, but also Garza, Lohse, Slowey to name a few off the top of my head. A huge part of his job is communication and getting these guys to perform, he seems to have failed at that when it really matters most.

I like where whydidnt took this...I have no idea what the right answer is but have more hitters or pitchers been successful after leaving the organization? That's who you fire first...

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with all of those who say no one will get fired during the 2012 season. I think Gardy would resign if firing one of his coaches was a forced scenario. If I was to give an answer based on fiction - I would fire or reassign Liddle, move Ullger the Weird to 3B Coach and pluck Mike Redmond out of the Bluejays Organization and appoint him bench coach. I don't think Gardy has too much left in the tank to deal with this job health wise and I am sure Red Dog was well liked by Ron and he wouldn't mind preparing him to be his successor in a year or 2 or 3. When that managerial switch happens, Gardy will take the T.K. route and become a special assistant to the GM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's to late now, the Twins are winning!

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    move Ullger the Weird to 3B Coach
    I'm tired of reruns and as I recall this one wasn't even good the first time.

Rick Anderson needed to go long ago. Can anyone name 1 Twins starting pitcher that has improved since being called up from the minors?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    I agree with all of those who say no one will get fired during the 2012 season. I think Gardy would resign if firing one of his coaches was a forced scenario. .
    And, what's exactly wrong with that? Kill many birds with one stone
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    It's to late now, the Twins are winning!
    How long until Gardenhire and all the coaches are signed to a multi-year extension?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12