Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Marquis

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    That ^^^^

The bottom like is that the interim GM made a $3 million mistake. Would be interesting to see whether Terry Ryan admits that he is wrong.

There's not a massive enough mistake involved in a one-year $3M deal that's worth getting worried about whether he admits to it, IMO. It's compounded by a lack of depth and the entire rest of the original starters being injured or terrible, as well as the fact that it was the one lone addition, but in and of itself just not a big deal.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    There's not a massive enough mistake involved in a one-year $3M deal that's worth getting worried about whether he admits to it, IMO. It's compounded by a lack of depth and the entire rest of the original starters being injured or terrible, as well as the fact that it was the one lone addition, but in and of itself just not a big deal.
    This is the real issue. He over rated the current starters and depth, then compounded the problem by bringing in a guy who is lousy. It's interesting that we see these old guys with questionable stats/stuff come here, get blown up even more than before and then pop up again elsewhere with decent results for short periods. Have we ever had any sustained performance from one of these old horses coming off a bad season? Pavano doesn't count, he was pitching well before he got here. I don't remember one, so why do we keep wasting millions on them? Even 3 million is a lot when you are cutting payroll.

I don't disagree with this, though I don't think 3M is much for a starter. While I agree that most could see the staff was in trouble, I don't think anyone really thought they would be this bad, nor that absolutely everything that could have gone wrong with them would. Even if Ryan would have assumed the worst, not sure what he could have done other than sign someone else for the fifth spot. The four other spots were locked in and the players in those spots had little to no trade value. It's not likely they could have signed someone to sit in Rochester who would have wanted to or been a decent upgrade. Though, it is a reason I was disappointed they dropped Doyle, for depth purposes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duensing has been great in relief, I would leave him there. Unfortunately, I think Marquis needs to go. I'd love to see DeVries, but Manship is going for Rochester tomorrow. If the youth movement is on, I'd like to see Slama and Guerra and cut ties with Gray for sure, and eventually Burton, although I don't believe he deserves to go yet.

I don't see there being any way for the Twins to rationalize giving Marquis another start.

how was this guy ever good enough to be worth a 2 year 15 million contract with Washington a few years ago?. Please, someone explain.....

Quote Originally Posted by striker_86 View Post
    how was this guy ever good enough to be worth a 2 year 15 million contract with Washington a few years ago?. Please, someone explain.....
    15 wins can really make teams go wild. He also threw 216 innings the previous year with COL, which is good, but had a 4.8 K/9 as well, which is baaaaaaaad.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The timing of DFA'ing Marquis and bringing up DeVries works pretty well, considering DeVries started yesterday. And while we're at it, can we end the Jeff Gray experiment already? Butera looks like a more effective relief pitcher for God's sake. As long as we're in the business of seeing what we have in players at AAA, isn't it about time we see what we have in Slama?

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Now that Butera has mastered the art of pitching and catching, maybe he's bored and would like to take a crack at GMing in Ryan's place.
    Maybe he should try NFL QB. Even Brady can't throw and catch - ask Gisele.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, well, I guess DFA is what I meant by Rochester.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there is even a 1% chance of Marquis getting back to being decent, it seems to me that Rochester makes sense, assuming that he is willing to go.

I see two reasons for this.

First, if he did make a comeback, he would have some value. And we have no way of knowing how much he has been affected by his child's injury. Maybe there is still some gas in his tank, and he will get better as his child recovers.

Second, this would reduce the need to bring up someone from AA if the Twins call up a starter from Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Sending him to Rochester makes no sense for a 35-36 year old. Marquis has had too solid of a career for too long to do that to him. DFA is the only way. Hendriks is the Red Wings best starter, but I think he should get more than 3-4 starts down there. It's all about what's best long term, and that's Hendriks being used/moved wisely. It's also about seeing what you have in the likes of DeVries/Walters (and Slama, etc.).

I agree with Seth here....Hendriks needs more starts at Rochester, you can always recall him later in the summer. Much rather give Marquis spot to DeVries....If Pavano's next start is pushed back I think Swarzak gets the nod.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I'd DFA him and put Liriano back in the rotation.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I personally believe DeVries will get crushed in the majors. I'd just as soon recall Hendriks since he's already on the 40-man and he's pitched very well since going down to Rochester.

I understand that Marquis has been bad, but honestly, what were people expecting. He was signed to be a back-end of the rotation guy, with the potential to at least eat innings and Pavano-lite. But anyone thinking that cutting him is going to make a drastic difference is kidding themselves.

As far as who should replace him, Duensing should stay in the bullpen. We have seen this experiment the past two years. He was okay in 2010 and was drilled in 2011 (after teams figured him out), but his skillset in getting out left-handed batters lends itself best to the bullpen.

If I had a vote, it would probably be Swarzak to take Marquis' place. He has started before in both the majors and minors, has shown the ability to be tolerable (i.e. a back of the rotation guy), and who knows, if he pitches well, we may be able swap him for some sort of mediocre prospect at the deadline if he pitches well and some team is desparate for a back-end starter (albeit very unlikely). And hey...he can't be any worse as a starter than Marquis, right? This move will also make way in the bullpen for us to bring up one of our many right-handed relievers in the minors (Slama, Waldrop, etc...). And I think at this point I would rather put Slama on the 40 man than Cole Devries.

This team is not contending this year, so I don't want to jeapordize assets (read: serviceable players) that we have (Hendricks as a starter, Deunsing as a bullpen guy) to try and find a 5th starter on the last place team in all of baseball. We have righty bullpen assets in the minors and I think Hendricks could use some extended time in Triple A to develop some consistency.

Anyway...just my two cents...

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I personally believe DeVries will get crushed in the majors. I'd just as soon recall Hendriks since he's already on the 40-man and he's pitched very well since going down to Rochester.
    I think Devries would perform better than Marquis, but I agree that Hendriks should be the one getting starts. Slama or Guerra should replace Jeff Gray as well for a new sweep of transactions. I don't think anyone was surprised how poorly Gray did in the 16-4 loss. His ERA was so misleading and he was due to get shelled. Up to that point, he was one of the luckiest pitchers this season.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'd DFA him and put Liriano back in the rotation.
    NO NO NOT Liriano...dont put him back in rotation till at least the AS Break.

I would bring up Slama for the pen and move Swarzek to the rotation and DFA Marquis

Pains me to say we should DFA him, but that seems to be the move. The only reason they're not doing it is that the depth is already hurting pretty badly at SP.

That 3 million dollars should have been used on two or three washed up relievers (hoping for a Jared Burton-type find) or combined with Carroll's money for a better 2B or 3B option. All the Twins did for years was draft "safe" guys that had upside as a 5th starter, and then they go and sign a 5th starter anyway. Never made sense to me.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Seth....trying to keep the Slama train alive....good for you....
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth....trying to keep the Slama train alive....good for you....
    Is anyone "with access" asking this question? It'd be nice if they were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast