Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jason Marquis

The big question is why haven't we heard the DFA announcement about Marquis yet?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there are probably six relief pitchers more big-league ready than any starter in the Twins' minor league organization. Slama, Fien, Oliveros, Manship, Guerra and Waldrop, off the top of my head. Add to this that there is already one too many relievers on the ML club and this situation cries for stretching out relievers and putting them in the rotation. Probably in July, the situation will cry for trading relievers. Manship and Swarzak have always seemed like the same guy to me, with Swarzak having more durability. Both seem to do better in long relief than as starters.

Marquis performance got me to thinking about how great it is to be a baseball player. $3M this year guaranteed - probably more than I will make in my working lifetime - for stinking it up out there. I am not questioning his effort but how did the bottom fall out so quickly or better yet how did the Front Office miss on this. If I was the owner I would be getting pretty irritated over some of these money for nothing decisions on Nishi and Marquis. Add that to the fact of injuries to all the big salary players in the past few years Nathan, Morneau, Mauer and Baker and that has to be pretty frustrating.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    DFA Marquis, let Manship and Swarzak start/go for half a game /whatever. That combo can't be any worse than Marquis.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    The big question is why haven't we heard the DFA announcement about Marquis yet?
    Marquis' spot in the rotation won't come up again until Friday (Saturday if they push Pavano back a day), so they won't DFA him (assuming that they do) until Wednesday or Thursday.

They have to answer the question "Who is going to Start on Thursday?" if they give Pavano an extra day of rest, before they deal with the Marquis problem.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too bad the Twins didn't sign Bedard instead of Marquis during the offseason.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Yeah there is something to be said about taking players--in such scenarios--who haven't merely been average the majority of their careers, but who have excelled and dealt with injuries. Zumaya didn't work, but Burton did. Now if they would just apply that to acquiring starting pitchers.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, but in order for that to happen, the Twins need to make changes in the FO and field management staff. Here is why the Twins (incorrectly) valued Marquis over Bedard:

a. He has thrown more than 200 innings a few times in his career (equated in their brains with a "workhorse")
    b. He is a ground ball pitcher who pitches to contact and generates ground balls.

Unless they hire decision makers who value missing bats and K/9 more than GB/FB and IP, this team will keep overvaluing the Marquises and the Pavanos (and the Blac_burns) of the world. That simple
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Bedard signed with Pittsburgh for 4.5 million,

Ryan decided to go cheap and scrape the bottom of the Barrel, resulting in the total waste of 3 million dollars.

The Twins could not go a few dollars over their self imposed budget. A small market move.
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,296 Times in 522 Posts
    They would have had an additional 5 million to play with if not for the horrendous decision to bring back Capps so unnecessarily early in the offseason.

The more I think about it the more it ends up pissing me off due to it being almost completely indefensible.

Ryan decided to go cheap and scrape the bottom of the Barrel, resulting in the total waste of 3 million dollars.

I think they really felt that Marquis is a healthier guy than Bedard and stood a better chance of throwing 180-200 IP. The money was probably secondary given how much trouble the team has had with health over the past few years, and doubly so with Baker's elbow being a question mark over the winter. The problems with this roster have more to do with assumptions and evaluations than with cheapness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123