Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oswalt?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oswalt?

He's still floating around as a FA, and the Twins need at least one new starter, and that's assuming Walters and Diamond hold up, and either Blackburn or Liriano make it back to the rotation this year.

Would he be worth a shot at? Would he be willing to come here?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,102 Times in 590 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    He's still floating around as a FA, and the Twins need at least one new starter, and that's assuming Walters and Diamond hold up, and either Blackburn or Liriano make it back to the rotation this year.

Would he be worth a shot at? Would he be willing to come here?
    He's only going to sign for a contender (assuming any of them want him).

I think a few months ago we all hoped this, then LEN III shot it down officially.
    And now there's no logical reason to think that Oswalt would want to come here. I'm pretty sure he would prefer a contender.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Texas appears interested with Perez's elbow problems.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins right now are in a position that they should be trying to get rid of (trade) veterans, rather than adding them... Let's see what they got in their system before they make some big decisions for rebuilding next off-season
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Oswalt isn't making the switch from the NL this late in his career. There is no interest from either side in this happening.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't think the Twins a) have the money to make it happen and b)no reason to pick up that kind of veteran with their rebuilding status.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Really? We really have to ask this question? What possible reason would the Twins have for spending money on him while they are in their current position? Why in the heck would he even conside coming here?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,203 Times in 480 Posts
    He's not going to come back to pitch for a loser, that's pretty much where the discussion starts and ends.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure Oswalt will be garbage if/when he comes back to pitch. There's a reason he didn't get signed during the offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    He is a good one, but who know's what he will do and it will take alot of money.

As mnfireman pointed out Texas is interested in Oswalt. They went to Mississippi to watch him pitch last Friday and Oswalt has also expressed an interest in pitching for Texas. Nice thought but I doubt he would have any interest in joining this hot mess in Minnesota.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oswalt is only going to pitch for a contending team, and he is likely to not be much above replacement anyway. Roy Oswalt and Drew Butera as pitcher leading the way in the forums the past day. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Really? We really have to ask this question? What possible reason would the Twins have for spending money on him while they are in their current position? Why in the heck would he even conside coming here?

Amen. There's a better chance I pitch for the Twins this year than Roy Oswalt.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 149 Times in 75 Posts
    I think it could be a different discussion if Oswalt was likely to pitch 4 or 5 more years, but he's probably looking to pitch this season and maybe one (or part of one) more. The Twins won't be in contention for a World Series title this year or next, so Oswalt would have to have a change of heart to play for Minnesota at this point.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Makes me laugh that Homers are so thick headed and think someone looking to win a ring is going to come here to lose!!!!!!

I'd make the call if I were Terry Ryan. Serious contenders don't necessarily have innings to throw at a high risk guy like Oswalt. Twins have money and innings. If Oswalt isn't signed by a contender, maybe he would come here to prove he's still got it for a couple months in hopes of getting traded to a viable contender. For Twins, that would be turning a little payroll and a handful of meaningless innings into a prospect or two. May put butts in seats along the way as well.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    I'd make the call if I were Terry Ryan. Serious contenders don't necessarily have innings to throw at a high risk guy like Oswalt. Twins have money and innings. If Oswalt isn't signed by a contender, maybe he would come here to prove he's still got it for a couple months in hopes of getting traded to a viable contender. For Twins, that would be turning a little payroll and a handful of meaningless innings into a prospect or two. May put butts in seats along the way as well.
    no, just no.

If you were ranking teams in terms of "having a chance to get Oswalt", the Twins would be somewhere between 25th and 30th. And that's being friendly.

I agree that at some point Oswalt has to pitch somewhere to show what he has. The gamble is how much is that worth to a team like the Twins, already burned on Zumaya and Marquis. If he can be had on whatever is considered the cheap or reasonable, then he pitches well AND is traded to a contender. Both sides could be happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast