Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cole DeVries promoted to the Twins!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    We might have the worst major league rotation baseball has seen in a very long time.

Good for DeVries though, I hope he has some success, there is nothing wrong with guys like Diamond, Walters and DeVries getting a shot, the problem is that when those three make up 60% of your current starting rotation!
    We are still better suited playing 3 Triple-A pitchers with the hope that one of them is a "Diamond" in the rough....as opposed to trotting out washed up veterans who have no future with this team, and no real ability to help us win games this year. Pavano is basically playing for his trade value at this point, assuming he can even stay healthy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Congratulations to Cole DeVries.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    We might have the worst major league rotation baseball has seen in a very long time.

Good for DeVries though, I hope he has some success, there is nothing wrong with guys like Diamond, Walters and DeVries getting a shot, the problem is that when those three make up 60% of your current starting rotation!
    Bingo... The state of pitching is the scariest thing about being a Twins Fan at this moment in time. Keep throwing these guys and let's see who sticks. Don't blow this draft and move every tradable piece for more pitching. Keep your expectations low while your hope is on high.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Maloney has had a lot of success at Triple A as a starter. By midseason, I expect that he'll be in the Twins starting rotation and I think he'll put up better numbers than at least one of Walters and Diamond.
    I had been meaning to put a short blog entry on this topic as well. I think the Twins tried to stretch him out while he was still in the parent club, but he did so poorly that he didn't actually get the requisite innings before having to be pulled. I'm in favor of letting Cuellar try to work some magic with him in the rotation.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah!!!! First EP kid to the Majors! Go EP! Go DeVries!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Cole DeVries is the right choice. It's time to see what you got, get the job done.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy H View Post
    Coles numbers look pretty pedestrian for Triple A. I thought Slama deserved the first shot, or Manship since he was a starter and has been up before.
    Cole's numbers are (and were when they got promoted) better than both Diamond's and Walter's. He deserved to be up there before any of them:

DeVries: 1.157 WHIP, 7.1 K/9 and 5.29 K/BB
    Diamond: 1.212 WHIP, 6.8 K/9 and 3.71 K/BB
    Walters: 1.170 WHIP, 6.8 K/9 and 4.17 K/BB
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    We are still better suited playing 3 Triple-A pitchers with the hope that one of them is a "Diamond" in the rough....as opposed to trotting out washed up veterans who have no future with this team, and no real ability to help us win games this year. Pavano is basically playing for his trade value at this point, assuming he can even stay healthy.
    I agree with you on that, but the more concerning thing is our utter lack of SP depth of anywhere in the minors. Diamond is the only one out of that group that can be considered a "legit" option to be a starter in the league, and even he up until this season looked more or less a longshot. This season has hopefully showed the Twins that they need to start taking a more aggressive approach to starting pitching in future drafts/signings/trades. The day of drafting nothing but soft tossing strike throwers needs to end. The infatuation with "finding the next Radke" needs to change, there is nothing wrong with having some guys like Blackburn, Pavano, Diamond, Walters, Hendricks, etc in your system, there is something wrong when that is all your system has.

Taking a chance on a guy like Shooter Hunt was a nice start even though he didn't pan out, ideally the Twins decide to take some hard throwers in the draft, I'm not so much worried about #2 as I am about the next 5-8 picks they have.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    He deserved to be up there before any of them:
    No he didn't. DeVries spent all of 2010 and 2011 in the pen and has significantly less upside then a guy like Diamond.

A case could be made against PJ Walters, but both a pretty meh and non prospects at the end of the day.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by striker_86 View Post
    Exactly, just dont lose the game in the 2nd inning like Marquis. All we need is 5-6 innings and 4-5 runs out of him to give us a chance.
    5 innings 4 runs or 6 innings 5 runs makes an ERA above 7.0, so we need better than that to make a real difference over what Marquis gave.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thyrlos, DeVries may have been up before Walters, but the timing of when they pitched was off two days, I believe.

Anyway, I see DeVries as not 3 of x, but rather 2 of 3. That is, I think he, Walters, and eventually Manship or Swarzak (maybe interchangeable roles?) are vying for the last rotation spot at the end of the year.

Assuming a Pavano trade, keeping Liriano where he belongs, and Blackburn coming back, I see the August-September rotation, as preparation for 2013 as:

Hendriks
    Bromberg
    Diamond
    Blackburn (unfortunately, a ballsy move would be to say "take your $5.5 million next year to the bullpen")
    DeVries or Walters or Manship/Swarzak.

This sets them up for one FA signing at the top, and filler at the bottom in preparation for Gibson.

That's what I would do, anyway. What they will do . . .

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My goodness. How sorry is the current state of affairs when DeVries, Diamond, and Walters are the main sources for optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Bingo... The state of pitching is the scariest thing about being a Twins Fan at this moment in time. Keep throwing these guys and let's see who sticks. Don't blow this draft and move every tradable piece for more pitching. Keep your expectations low while your hope is on high.
    Could not have said it any better. Diamond, Walters (too many HRs), Now DeVries, one or two of these may stick at the level of Baker and Blackburn...now draft a pitcher who could be an ace in 2014 or 2015 (or trade our only real asset--Span for one).

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Thyrlos, DeVries may have been up before Walters, but the timing of when they pitched was off two days, I believe.

Anyway, I see DeVries as not 3 of x, but rather 2 of 3. That is, I think he, Walters, and eventually Manship or Swarzak (maybe interchangeable roles?) are vying for the last rotation spot at the end of the year.

Assuming a Pavano trade, keeping Liriano where he belongs, and Blackburn coming back, I see the August-September rotation, as preparation for 2013 as:

Hendriks
    Bromberg
    Diamond
    Blackburn (unfortunately, a ballsy move would be to say "take your $5.5 million next year to the bullpen")
    DeVries or Walters or Manship/Swarzak.

This sets them up for one FA signing at the top, and filler at the bottom in preparation for Gibson.

That's what I would do, anyway. What they will do . . .
    They need to head into next season with the thought that they need to fill a minimum of 3 rotation spots, and ideally 4 rotation spots. I think out of the Gibson/Hendricks/Diamond/Blackburn group we can reasonably expect 1-2 spots from those 4, counting on 3 or 4 of those guys to hold down a spot all of 2013 is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Could not have said it any better. Diamond, Walters (too many HRs), Now DeVries, one or two of these may stick at the level of Baker and Blackburn...now draft a pitcher who could be an ace in 2014 or 2015 (or trade our only real asset--Span for one).
    None of those guys will come close to sticking at the level of Baker (who when healthy is a solid #2), Blackburn is nothing more than a #5 and in all reality Diamond is the only one with a chance better then 25% at sticking as a #5.

The Twins need more than an ace, they need to find a #1/#2/#3 and maybe even a #4 moving forward. That is a tall task to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    My goodness. How sorry is the current state of affairs when DeVries, Diamond, and Walters are the main sources for optimism.
    I'd argue that Mauer being healthy, Span being healthy, Morneau being healthy, Willingham and Dozier as our main sources of optimism at this point. (not taking into consideration minor legauers like Sano, Rosario and Arcia)

My - My - what do you suppose Anthony Slama did to so thoroughly piss off Gardy and Ryan?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know why people are hating on Walters and Diamond, considering they have given a few rays of hope to this starting line that had won four in a row until it was broken by the black hole of suckiness that was Marquis. While Walters has given up 4 HR's in two outings, one he won, and the other he should have won. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with what either have done up here so far.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats to DeVries. I hope he does well and proves his worth to the team going forward whether that be in the starting rotation or the bullpen. We've had good results with the pitchers called up this year, so I hope he continues the trend.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I don't know why people are hating on Walters and Diamond, considering they have given a few rays of hope to this starting line that had won four in a row until it was broken by the black hole of suckiness that was Marquis. While Walters has given up 4 HR's in two outings, one he won, and the other he should have won. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with what either have done up here so far.
    "Hating" seems like a strong word, but I share your view that there has been excessive pessimism considering their performances thus far. I think that people are focusing on their minor league stats and they assume that Walters and Diamond have mediocre ceilings. However, it seems possible that one or both of them may prosper over the long run. And until DeVries gets blown out a few times, I will be optimistic about him as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast