Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cole DeVries promoted to the Twins!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy H View Post
    Coles numbers look pretty pedestrian for Triple A. I thought Slama deserved the first shot, or Manship since he was a starter and has been up before.
    His last start was going great until they tried to get him a complete game. Gave up only one run through 8, then three more in the 9th. Things like that hurt the ERA early in the season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    They need to head into next season with the thought that they need to fill a minimum of 3 rotation spots, and ideally 4 rotation spots. I think out of the Gibson/Hendricks/Diamond/Blackburn group we can reasonably expect 1-2 spots from those 4, counting on 3 or 4 of those guys to hold down a spot all of 2013 is foolish.
    Blackburn isn't going anywhere, so he takes up one of those spots. Hendriks will be fine and Diamond should be too. They are 3-4 and 4-5 starters, yes. Gibson is hopefully the guy to swing it somewhat and if Wimmers and Stuifbergen get healthy, they are in the mix too. And the Twins need to recognize that they must draft pitchers instead of toolsy HS outfielders, including HEALTHY 2013 versions of players like Gibson and Wimmers (both were expected to essentially be involved by 2013 back before everything went to hell).

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing but best wishes for DeVries, and I hope for his sake (and the Twins!) that he does well.

That being said, I still think the best answer would be to give Duensing another shot. He is doing much better against RHB this year, and if he can get over that issue permanently he can be a decent 3-4 starter for a few years to come. In this rotation that could be huge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    My - My - what do you suppose Anthony Slama did to so thoroughly piss off Gardy and Ryan?
    One more (and it is coming) Jeff Gray blow-up and it MUST BE Slama time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    "Hating" seems like a strong word, but I share your view that there has been excessive pessimism considering their performances thus far. I think that people are focusing on their minor league stats and they assume that Walters and Diamond have mediocre ceilings. However, it seems possible that one or both of them may prosper over the long run. And until DeVries gets blown out a few times, I will be optimistic about him as well.
    It's been funny because they have been the best starters for the Twins yet they are truly 4-6 starting caliber pitchers. That's what they are and that is good if you have other good pitching before them. But I am fine with figuring out that part of the rotation this year, honestly. Some FA, Hendriks, Gibson, and Bromberg likely are involved in 2013 before those guys.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    nothing against devries but a mistake Devries will get hammered at MLB level. He is a solid AAA pitcher but he will get hammered at MLB level mark my words.
    Funny thing about hammering...it assumes the nail will stay in one place.

If Cole DeVries is a finesse pitcher, then he already knows that he will need to mix up his velocity, spin and placement to survive in the bigs. Scott Diamond is already doing that, and succeeding. Pitching is all about making hitters uncomfortable. If you don't have a big fastball, then you figure out other ways to do it.

I think a lot will depend on Cole's ability to execute damage control. People will get some hits off him, sure. Can he handle it? Can he limit the damage, or will he collapse emotionally like a little boy? He worked his way to the majors from an undrafted free agent. Maybe he's already got the mental toughness to hang in there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Haha, good lord who knows? Let's see: Hendriks, Manship, French, Thompson . . . .and maybe they will promote Bromberg or Hirshfeld?
    Get Bromberg to Rochester!

It is NOT the worst rotation if the guys get guys out, and win games. You can survive with 5 B-starters. You may not reach the wild card or playoffs, but right now Blackburn/Liriano/Marquis weren't getting it done.

I see Slama on the radar as Gray and Burton implode, but Waldrop and Manship may be ahead in the callup scale.

The big pain with musical chairs is that you might be forced to lose someone at some point...but if playing musical chairs, guess it doesn't matter.

There was a reason the Twins signed 110 free agent minor league pitchers...I guess.....this year.....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check out Seth's latest Top 50 prospect installment. Plenty of recently drafted pitchers that shouldn't be categorized as "soft-tossers." The whole soft-tossing/pitch to contact complaint has grown pretty cliche. The Twins have taken shots with the likes of Hunt, Bashore, Tootle, etc, and see where those guys are now. Seems like people think these SO machines grow on trees. I'd argue that the current state of Twins Organizational pitching is possibly a result of getting away from drafting the likes of Slowey and Perkins and Hendriks and having too many high draft picks like the aforementioned group washout.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as the Twins can send DeVries back to AAA with an option, I don't see any reason not to give him a start or two. He can't be worse than Marquis and should be able to match Blackburn. If he has a few rocky starts, they can send him back. By that time, I hope that Liriano is ready for another shot.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    I see Slama on the radar as Gray and Burton implode, but Waldrop and Manship may be ahead in the callup scale.
    I don't think there's any reason to suggest Burton imploding. He has a .702 WHIP and is capable of striking out batters. His 4.60 ERA looks much worse than how he's performed. Burton has a pretty good track record of being reliable as well, so I'd be surprised if he didn't finish the year with the Twins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123