Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law top 25 prospect update- good news for Sano

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law top 25 prospect update- good news for Sano

... Now his is up at the 11th spot from the 28th he was in Law's pre-season rankings. You can see his new top 25 list here (for insiders only). No other Twins in the top 25 but there were none pre-season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not an insider... Would you mind posting the list. Don't need the prose associated just Who they are and rank. if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    ... Now his is up at the 11th spot from the 28th he was in Law's pre-season rankings. You can see his new top 25 list here (for insiders only). No other Twins in the top 25 but there were none pre-season.
    Good news, thanks thrylos.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    ESPN wouldn't be thrilled if we post the whole list....but there are 3 AZ starting pitchers in the top 20....we should really be trying to figure out how to get their 2nd or 3rd best SP prospect....if you have a specific question, I'll answer it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just goes to show how worthless it is to try and sum up these prospects. Its like if we tried to rank whos the best player in the MLB, yea there might be a stand out person we call mvp just for fun, but if we try to start ranking people our list would change every month. Example: best rank jared weaver ever got was 57 according to BA
    Last edited by asmus_ndsu; 05-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.

better news for Sano would be getting a couple of hits/not getting a couple of errors every night.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    11. Miguel Sano, 3B, Minnesota Twins (age 19)
    Current level: Low Class A (Beloit)
    Preseason ranking: 28
    He's cooled off since the scorching early start, and striking out a lot more than you'd like, but he has enormous raw power (.551 slugging this year) and enough ability to hit to see him as a middle-of-the-order bat down the road with a .260-.280 average but 30-40 jacks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    ESPN wouldn't be thrilled if we post the whole list....but there are 3 AZ starting pitchers in the top 20....we should really be trying to figure out how to get their 2nd or 3rd best SP prospect....if you have a specific question, I'll answer it.
    Yes, can we hire Superman to turn back time so we can convince Bill Smith that the Twins needed to be sellers at the trade deadline last year? Seems to me AZ turned out to be interested in Jason Kubel after all.

I'm assuming one of those prospects is Tyler Skaggs. I was just looking at what kind of draft picks would have been available had the Twins kept Johan Santana and gotten the draft picks after the 2008 season instead of getting fleeced by the Mets. That year the Angels lost Mark Teixeira to the Yankees and Franscicso Rodriguez to the Mets. Had Santana's Elias ranking been higher than Rodriguez following the 2008 season the Twins could have stolen Mike Trout from the Angels, if it had been higher than Teixeira's, the Twins could have snagged Skaggs too. Obviously there are a ton of variables that could have influenced these picks so don't pile on and rip me, I just found it intersting and thought I'd share.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 05-25-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    ESPN wouldn't be thrilled if we post the whole list....
    Ugh please, its freaking ESPN. I understand not posting Baseball America, BP or other sites, but ESPN? Really?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB.com's 2012 Prospect Watch is still by far the best I've seen. I'm sure everyone has seen it though. Sano is at #20. Hicks at #67 and Rosario at #95.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

Senior Member All-Star
    yes, I think pasting something you have to pay for (so, you know, Law and others have jobs) is wrong. So yes, freakin' ESPN too. Why is their intellectual property not worth protecting?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    I agree it's wrong, but it's a violation that bothers me very little. I'm sure ESPN uses those profits to subsidize the crap they are shoving on the air every day. Until they start paying US for airing the Dan LeBatard show, or LeBron James' "Decision", I'm not going to shed a tear for that monopoly. Other sports sites seem to be managing to survive without charging content fees. Posting it is wrong, but it's more on the lines with running a stop sign, not vehicular homicide.

I'm hardly the one to play morality police here. Keith Law regularly talks about his rankings on podcasts and I've seen the rankings themselves (not necessarily the full article) redistributed on other websites, along with other for-pay content. If I was an ESPN columnist (apart from some of the big names that get exposure on-air), I'd be pissed/annoyed if my content was strictly Insider. Yay, I'm on the "Worldwide Leader" but not really, since my stuff is subscription only, about 1/24 of the people who read Simmons or general articles on ESPN are even exposed to it. Significantly more people would know who the crap Keith Law was if people could visit ESPN and read his stuff without having to get their credit cards out.

And yes, it DOES matter if it's ESPN as opposed to Seth Stohs' publication or some other upstart. Raise your hand if you just cancelled your Insider subscription because you saw rankings from one article posted online. Keith Law's rankings, in my view, belong to ESPN the same way that fantasy statistics belong to MLB. As in: "Yes, but not really".
    Last edited by StormJH1; 05-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't have said it any better myself StormJH1. I'd also like to say thanks to righty, because I was curious. I'd also like to know why Teheran fell down at least 15 spots.

yes, I think pasting something you have to pay for (so, you know, Law and others have jobs) is wrong. So yes, freakin' ESPN too. Why is their intellectual property not worth protecting?
    I'm pretty sure the only reason that Insider currently only exists in order to get people to buy/receive the outdated ESPN magazine, which by all accounts is awful. Though I did like there last big breaking story of: EXTRA EXTRA: College players smoke weed!!1!!

Senior Member All-Star
    well, it's still here, so clearly the owners of this site are cool with it. I'm likely out of this site for a while if that's true.
    Lighten up Francis....

well, it's still here, so clearly the owners of this site are cool with it. I'm likely out of this site for a while if that's true.
    Please, its one article and its relevant to the Twins, you act like people are posting every insider article here on a daily basis. ESPN could choose to do a paywall like other sites (you get x number of articles for free insider a month, then you have to pay) instead they choose not to. Would anyone on here really sign up for a 1 month account just to read a small blurb from law on the top 25?

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just so evetuone is clear, commenting on commentary, so long as its sourced is fine, but copying a complete list or story is, forbidden. Sorry.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    The general rule to follow for "Fair Use" is not to copy more than 10% of the material, but that's for the purpose (which is a key consideration) of teaching and scholarship. There are other considerations and purposes that limit "fair use" though.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yes, can we hire Superman to turn back time so we can convince Bill Smith that the Twins needed to be sellers at the trade deadline last year?
    If we can hire Superman, can we also get him to pitch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast