Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB Mock Draft 2.0

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Everybody labels Appel, Gausman, and Zimmer as possible #2s or #3s. I know that there are very few true #1s but I was just wondering what everyone in our rotation is and what Wimmers and Gibson and any other pitching prospects project as. Thanks!
    Probably depends on your definition of the numbers. I found this on baseball examiner. Baseball prospectus and america both have similar rankings but you need a subscription, I believe.
    #1 Starter
    : Two plus pitches, average third pitch, plus-plus command, plus makeup
    #2 Starter: Two plus pitches, average third pitch, average command, average makeup
    #3 Starter: One plus pitch, two average pitches, average command, average makeup
    #4 & #5 starters: Average velocity, consistent breaking ball, decent changeup, command of two of the pitches.

A plus is a 60 or better, avg is 50, plus plus is 70. Makeup is focus, intensity, etc.

All three guys - Appel, Zimmer and Gausman - could become #1 pitchers. I think the knock on them all has been it's not as likely to happen for them as it was for, say, Verlander. Gibson, I think, has one plus pitch and a couple close to plus (55s) so we'll see. He could be a #2 or #3. Keep in mind, before he was hurt, he was likely to go in the top 10 of a pretty solid draft. I have no idea on Wimmers. His change up is supposed to be plus but he's command and now his injury ...

Everybody labels Appel, Gausman, and Zimmer as possible #2s or #3s. I know that there are very few true #1s but I was just wondering what everyone in our rotation is and what Wimmers and Gibson and any other pitching prospects project as. Thanks!
    Gibson is a #2 ceiling but more than likely #3, Wimmers will be a #3 tops. The only one we have that has ace potential is Liriano but that hasn't quite happened. An ace should be dominant with lots of Ks, really an ace should have the potential to have a shut out at any time, anyone who is a pitch to contact pitcher can't be relied on as an ace. The only true Ace we have had in the past 20 years has been Santana, Radke doesn't count.

Doesn't the fact that Scott Boras represent Mark Appel pretty much rule him out at #2 if Houston passes on him?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    Doesn't the fact that Scott Boras represent Mark Appel pretty much rule him out at #2 if Houston passes on him?
    No it doesn't

I wish Giolito didn't have the elbow issue at the beginning of the year. From what I've heard, he and Buxton probably have the most upside of anybody in the draft. Keith Law (or was it Mark Simon?) was pretty dismissive of the injury a week or two ago. Is there any way the Twins would pick Giolito #2? In a pretty weak draft, it's not that far-fetched, is it?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Astros – P Mark Appel, Stanford. It comes down to him or Buxton.
    2. Twins – OF Byron Buxton, Georgia HS. Correa gaining.
    3. Mariners – SS Carlos Correa, Puerto Rico. The Mariners are unpredictable. I think it comes down to Correa or Buxton
    4. Orioles – P Kevin Gausman, LSU. Bundy and Gausman could form a lethal combination.
    5. Royals – P Kyle Zimmer, San Francisco. Will they pass on Zunino? Will they gamble on Giolito?
    6. Cubs – OF Albert Almora, Florida HS. Correa dropping (at this point unlikely) could make this pick interesting.
    7. Padres – P Max Fried, California HS. Zunino is a possibility.
    8. Pirates – C Mike Zunino, Florida. Zunino could go anywhere, staring at #3. Marrero is a possibility.
    9. Marlins – P Andrew Heaney, Oklahoma State. Almora was the first choice.
    10. Rockies – OF Courtney Hawkins, Texas HS.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    An ace should be dominant with lots of Ks, really an ace should have the potential to have a shut out at any time, anyone who is a pitch to contact pitcher can't be relied on as an ace.
    That's not really true. Glavine, Maddux, Halladay, Lee all had cy young seasons/careers without many strike outs. Radke, while not an ace, had as many 5 war seasons as Beckett and Lackey combined.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins take Buxton or Correa the plan will be more like Hicks than Sano as I believe they won't sign until the end so won't get much if any play in 2012. So the schedule likely would be if things go right is;
    2013 Elizabethton
    2014 Beloit
    2015 FM
    2016 NB
    2017 Roch/Twins

Could be longer if there is injuries and could be a half a year to a year shorter if they excel. Can't compare him to Mauer as both Buxton and Correa are raw and projects with high upside.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely nothing against Rosario but each of these guys would be the Twins number 2 prospect followed by Rosario.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    If the Twins take Buxton or Correa the plan will be more like Hicks than Sano as I believe they won't sign until the end so won't get much if any play in 2012. So the schedule likely would be if things go right is;
    2013 Elizabethton
    2014 Beloit
    2015 FM
    2016 NB
    2017 Roch/Twins

Could be longer if there is injuries and could be a half a year to a year shorter if they excel. Can't compare him to Mauer as both Buxton and Correa are raw and projects with high upside.
    I think every complaint you had could have been used on Mauer. Cold weather player, not sure how he'd do against better competition. Still growing into his body. Also, the signing deadline was moved up to mid July this year so anyone that signs should get some time in the minors this year (although they might let some pitchers rest due to high number of college innings).

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I'm with you, really bad feeling about Appel. Even if he is ok I see his ceiling as Luke Hochevar, not terrible but not worth a #1 or #2 overall pick.
    Um, Luke Hochevar is actually quite terrible. Luke Hochevar as a ceiling is beyond terrible.

I'd be surprised if Correa signed below slot. In an article on ESPN it said he's a 4.0 GPA student and has committed to University of Miami and is prepared to go that route. On the other hand he does come from a poorer family in Puerto Rico and it would be hard to turn down those millions. He's the guy I think the Twins should draft. He offers a high ceiling similar to Buxton, and even if he has to move to 3B I've heard some people say Sano is a better fit at 1B or corner outfield

Liked 318 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we draft Appel, Buxton, Correa, Gausman, or Zimmer will they become our #2 prospect right away?
    No. Buxton might become number 3 or 4, the others lower. The pitchers would be sloting where Gibson slots pretty much, and Correa maybe a tad higher. But it is all subjective This is just not a draft with crazy good talent.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    No. Buxton might become number 3 or 4, the others lower.
    BA said Buxton would rank above Starling in the Top 100, which would be around 25 (higher with graduation to the pros), their current #2 Joe Benson, ranked at the bottom of the 100. Buxton for sure would be 2. (And I wouldn't be shocked if someone major had him over Sano.) I think the pitchers would all be 2. I think Correa would be in the mix for #2 (with Rosario). But you're right, it's all subjective.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Also, the signing deadline was moved up to mid July this year so anyone that signs should get some time in the minors this year (although they might let some pitchers rest due to high number of college innings).
    To add to this too: A lot of the deadline deals were worked out earlier, but wouldn't get the approval until the very end. That won't be the case anymore. I think you'll still see some deadline deals, but there will be a lot more higher signings earlier as teams try to set their limits on their earlier picks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nfisch22 View Post
    I'd be surprised if Correa signed below slot. In an article on ESPN it said he's a 4.0 GPA student and has committed to University of Miami and is prepared to go that route. On the other hand he does come from a poorer family in Puerto Rico and it would be hard to turn down those millions. He's the guy I think the Twins should draft. He offers a high ceiling similar to Buxton, and even if he has to move to 3B I've heard some people say Sano is a better fit at 1B or corner outfield
    "Hey Carlos, it's the Minnesota Twins. It sounds like you're going #6 to the Cubs. It's gonna be tough for them to give you more than $3.25m. We're talking about you at #2. How's $4.2m sound? If you'll agree to that, we'll take you."

Probable? Doubt it. Possible? Sure.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    I don't like the idea of drafting a pitcher 2nd overall. The injury risk is just too great unless the prospect is off-the-charts in terms of stuff and command. This class doesn't have any of those guys. Keith Law said the other day that he heard Appel was #1 on the Twins' board, for what it's worth.

Not being a scout or even having seen them play, I can't really compare Correa and Buxton, but the Twins wouldn't be working Correa out for the second time unless they really liked him. He's significantly younger than Buxton and it's harder to find 3rd basemen than outfielders. I'd like to see one of those guys and then a bunch of pitchers- preferably with upside. Stockpiling finesse college guys like Dean, Lanigan, etc., is just pointless. You can always find a 5th starter. Draft raw high schoolers and teach them how to pitch. That's what they pay the minor league instructors and coaches for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know Correa is believed to outgrow SS but I have heard some people think that he can definitely stay at SS. Like I have said before I really hope they draft Correa but I just don't see it happening. I guess I hope they prove me wrong.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correa outgrowing SS for 3B isn't really too much of a negative. Sano is not going to be there.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Correa outgrowing SS for 3B isn't really too much of a negative. Sano is not going to be there.
    Good point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast