Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Span or Buxton?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Span or Buxton?

With the Twins taking outfielder Byron Buxton with the #2 overall pick yesterday, the take I took from that is that Span is not long for this team, and that the Twins wanted to draft an outfielder that could take over for him after a few years of Revere in center.

By all means, I am not saying that Span isn't a good player or not worth the Twins keeping to build around. But when you are in the stages of rebuilding, you trade away your good players to get good prospects for the future.

With my prediction of this meaning that Span will be traded within the next few years, who should the Twins be looking to get a good deal from? In other words, who has the farm system necessary, as well as the need for a solid center fielder, for the Twins to be interested in trading Span to?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or Ben Revere is the guy traded . . .

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton is 4-5 years away. By then Span, if still around, would be past his prime and be close to gone.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

It may be that Denard Span is "not long for this team", but Byron Buxton has little or nothing to do with that. We're probably 3-5 years away from Buxton becoming a viable MLB starter, which of course is never a guarantee to begin with. Span is 28 years old, and under contract through 2014 with a team option for 2015. And with all the bad contracts the Twins gave out, an average of about $3 million a year for solid lead-off hitter and CF is hardly a burden, even with the concussion issues included.

So yes, the Twins could look at Span in his early 30's and opt to go with Buxton instead, but that's years away. Plus, I wouldn't assume the organization has completely written off Ben Revere, despite his obvious limitations. He plays at a position where range and defensive ability can justify a below average bat, so it's feasible that he gets his OBP up and perhaps learns how to put down a bunt, and could still figure into their future plans.

Span and Willingham are the only two guys that I feel like could realistically be moved for anything of value, both because they're good players and because they have favorable contracts. That's not to say that other people won't also be moved, but c'mon, no team is giving us decent prospects for the likes of Pavano or Capps.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suppose; but it still shows that the Twins aren't happy with the depth in the outfield in their system, which I think means that someone is going to be traded.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Or you are just supposed to go with the BPA not draft for need. I don't think the pick of Buxton reflects on the big league club at all.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Span and Willingham are the only two guys that I feel like could realistically be moved for anything of value, both because they're good players and because they have favorable contracts. That's not to say that other people won't also be moved, but c'mon, no team is giving us decent prospects for the likes of Pavano or Capps.
    I can see the Twins using Capps enough to pump up the overrated Save statistic and then sell him to someone who is desperate for help in their bullpen and is looking for that "last piece" needed for them to contend. On the other hand, I have no idea how the Twins trade Pavano with the season that he is currently having. Span has the contract that people are willing to absorb to trade for, but not so much for the contract of Willingham.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think by the time Buxton makes it to the big leagues (if he ever does), Span will either have been traded, or been moved out of CF. Of course, who knows if Buxton will even be playing CF by that point

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    As PMKI stated, Baseball is the one sport where you don't draft for need. You take the best player available as it will be 2-6 years before they reach the big club.

Hi guys, been keeping up with the forum for a few weeks but didn't register until today. By far the best Twins forum I have seen, so cheers. Anyway...

Seems like our outfield prospect list is getting crowded. Inevitably at LEAST one of them won't pan out to the level that we thought. Do we make our best guess and start dealing for other needs (pitching), or do we let them fight it out and eat the present dealing value of the ones that don't end up contributing?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no relationship between the Twins taking Buxton and Denard Span.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Buxton is 4-5 years away. By then Span, if still around, would be past his prime and be close to gone.
    You're optimistic on 4-5 years. These are the Twins.

This year: GCL IF he's signed, else he plays GCL NEXT year.

Then Eliz

Then Beloit-maybe

3 years gone already in this scenario if Buxton doesn't get signed until late.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    With the Twins taking outfielder Byron Buxton with the #2 overall pick yesterday, the take I took from that is that Span is not long for this team, and that the Twins wanted to draft an outfielder that could take over for him after a few years of Revere in center.

By all means, I am not saying that Span isn't a good player or not worth the Twins keeping to build around. But when you are in the stages of rebuilding, you trade away your good players to get good prospects for the future.

With my prediction of this meaning that Span will be traded within the next few years, who should the Twins be looking to get a good deal from? In other words, who has the farm system necessary, as well as the need for a solid center fielder, for the Twins to be interested in trading Span to?
    I expect there is one person who doesn't agree with everyone's assumption that the Twins are beginning a rebuilding process that will last several years. That person is Mr. Ryan. I expect he sees the Twins differently than most of us do. He sees a team that needs a few adjustments and with some good health will compete next year. With that in mind, I expect we won't see all the moves in July that everyone is expecting. That includes Span and Revere likely staying with the Twins beyond this year.

It just gives the Twins more depth in the system. If at some point you need to trade for a starter, you can trade a Revere or a Hicks or a Benson because you stil have x-y-z in the system. Or 3-4 years from now,mm you can trade Buxton even up for another team's #1 draft pick (a pitcher) from the previous year (remember Young for Garza). Right away, you have a bargaining chip that YOU paid $6 million for and if you ever do trade him, you expect to get that back. If he makes anyone expendable in 4-5 years, it would be Revere, who would be 28-29 and entering free agency.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. They took the best guy on the board

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It makes it more likely that Span will walk as a FA in 2015 or 2016, depending on how Buxton, Hicks, Benson, et al progress.

With Benson's setback this spring, I would think the Twins would be hesitant to deal Span, Willingham or Revere in 2012. All of those guys are under team control through at least 2014. When Benson and/or Hicks are ready to stick in the Bigs, then we might see one of the current OFs moved. Until then, the $12M or so those guys are going to cost in 2013 is a pretty good price for a quality starting outfield, even if you are rebuilding.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, Buxton is 10-1 as a pitcher, so there's that

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    You're optimistic on 4-5 years. These are the Twins.

This year: GCL IF he's signed, else he plays GCL NEXT year.

Then Eliz

Then Beloit-maybe

3 years gone already in this scenario if Buxton doesn't get signed until late.
    Or maybe he is as polished as Mauer and is starting in 2015.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Or maybe he is as polished as Mauer and is starting in 2015.
    Well, Mauer was born into a baseball family and competed as a youth at a higher level of competition than Buxton, whose father seems to have topped out in slow-pitch leagues. If Buxton has unusual polish I don't know where he would have gotten it. However, it is possible he has high aptitude and coachability to go with his talent, so 2015 is hardly impossible. Can he learn to hit the quality breaking ball? That's always the question with a high schooler.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now, he's the next Willie Mays. I hope to see him in 2014. Possible re-evaluation to come...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast