Thread: Article: Don't Even Attempt To Beat The System

Article: Don't Even Attempt To Beat The System

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff Andrew.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the research and graphics, but I'm not sure what it all means. What it says to me is that the ball doesn't fly in Target Field the way it did in the dome, so the virtually identical dimensions aren'ts so identical. Just look at the spread of HRs to LF in the dome and in Target Field. What few home runs are going out are just barely going out. It might be that moving the fences in 20 feet could really make a difference. I'm just not sure how feasible that is from a spectator and cost standpoint. Given how hesitant the Twins seem to be to doing so, my guess is it causes some real problems in terms of cost or sight lines.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What it says to me is that the ball doesn't fly in Target Field the way it did in the dome, so the virtually identical dimensions aren'ts so identical.
    Are you just picking up on this fact?!

I'm just not sure how feasible that is from a spectator and cost standpoint. Given how hesitant the Twins seem to be to doing so, my guess is it causes some real problems in terms of cost or sight lines.
    I've maintained the stance that they should keep the field as is, simply gear the personnel to the field - if that is more speed/line drive hitters, power hitters who pull or guys who hit line drives to center instead of fly balls (like Cuddyer did).

@ John:

With the ballpark graphics and home run plots, I was only attempting to visually show that it's harder to hit the ball out to center field and the power alleys in Target Field. Sure, we know this just from watching games in person and on TV, but I guess I just wanted to give a little more evidence. I wasn't trying to do anything deeper than that.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The odd part about the ball just no flying the same way is that after it was built the Metrodome was modified to make the ball travel less far than it did. That's one of the reasons the air-conditioning was added (and why the "Homerdome" tag became a misnomer.) The concern with Target Field is that is would be too homer-happy without that pumped in atmosphere. That couldn't have been more wrong.

I'll throw this out there....Colorado adjusted their extreme park by putting the baseballs in a humidor to make them less likely to fly out of the park. Conceivably the Twins could do the reverse, I suppose - put the game balls in a humidor that dries them up a bit? That seems a little silly, but the HR numbers don't lie.