Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Team Is The Real Twins?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which Team Is The Real Twins?

As we all know the Twins start to the season was abysmal. However, as of late the starting pitching has steadied and the offense has shown flashes of scoring in bunches. They are now winning series and are 7-3 in their last 10. So my question is down the stretch which team does everyone expect to see, the early season team that couldn't win a game or the current team that is plodding along winning series putting up a respectable record?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expected the Twins team we've seen in the past three weeks. The injuries to Blackburn, Pavano and Baker made an already underwhelming rotation into the worst in the major leagues. This team is improved offensively and defensively. The bullpen is light years better than last year and they are playing more fundamentally sound baseball. Competent starting pitching will make them respectable.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 586 Times in 316 Posts
    I expect things to continue the way they have for the last month or so. If the rotation can keep it up to a similar degree the offense is proving they can get it done from a variety of players, especially once Mauer comes back. Anytime one of our starters puts in a QS I like our chances with how good our pen is.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I expect it to even out to about the .444 pace I predicted (72 wins overall). To do that, they would have to win 50 of the next 106 which should be do-able.

I'd like to see them exceed that but I don't really expect it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Neither. I expect to see a team that would win around 75 or so games, so neither a team that only wins 30% of its games, and 100% not a team that wins 70% of its games.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    I bet a friend of mine $100 that the Twins would win more than 69 games. The beginning of the season was looking like I would definitely lose that money, but now I'm pretty confident that they're going to win 70-75 games. A lot of that still depends on things like health and any trades we end up making, but I agree with most here that we'll see a team that plays somewhere between the two extremes we have been seeing.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

The team that started at the beginning of the season had so many different factors contributing to their problems, that was for sure NOT who this team really is. So many new faces, lack of respectable starting pitching, and the big boys slumping early really put the Twins behind the 8-ball. As long as our starting pitchers keep putting the ball over the plate and giving our team a chance to win every game, I feel we will continue this recent trend.

Maybe this is just my optimism getting the best of me but in 2006 on June 7th the Twins were 25-33, had just released washed up veterans like Tony Bautista, Juan Castro, Kyle Loshe, and called on the young guns from the Red Wings to fill the void. They went 9-1 in the next 10 games and went through a month of dominating inter league play with a 16-2 record.... This was all a set up for one of the most memorable games I have ever been to for the Twins (game 163).

I expect them to continue to play poorly against the elite teams and play competitively as they have of late against the weaker teams. Lucky for the Twins, those elite teams are spaced out a bit over their final 106 games rather than that absurd April schedule which will hopefully keep them out of an extended slump.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they stay healthy and their rotation remains halfway decent - I'd expect them to play slightly under 500 ball the rest of the way. But for the most part they've been very lucky to not have a key injury to the lineup; somebody's bound to go down before the season is over. If they trade any of the better players for prospects, or the rotation falters again - we're back to 400 ball at best.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lest we forget, last year's Twins were:

17-36 (.320) through May,
    17-9 (.654) in June, and
    29-54 (.349) after June.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I figured this team had a chance to win around 80 games if the bats did what most people thought they would and the pitching was even slightly below average. In their last 29 games, they are 15-14. We can't erase the brutal start, but I think the last 29 games is more indicative of their abilities than the first 27 games. With that in mind, if they maintain a .500 pace they will end up with about 75 wins, which I think most felt they could do, but it all hinges on the guys who started the year pitching in the Rochester rotation and Liriano keeping up a solid pace, otherwise we could be in for a long summer again.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    The team that started at the beginning of the season had so many different factors contributing to their problems, that was for sure NOT who this team really is. So many new faces, lack of respectable starting pitching, and the big boys slumping early really put the Twins behind the 8-ball. As long as our starting pitchers keep putting the ball over the plate and giving our team a chance to win every game, I feel we will continue this recent trend.

Maybe this is just my optimism getting the best of me but in 2006 on June 7th the Twins were 25-33, had just released washed up veterans like Tony Bautista, Juan Castro, Kyle Loshe, and called on the young guns from the Red Wings to fill the void. They went 9-1 in the next 10 games and went through a month of dominating inter league play with a 16-2 record.... This was all a set up for one of the most memorable games I have ever been to for the Twins (game 163).
    I don't think there was a Game 163 for the Twins in '06. There was in '08 (lost 1-0 to the Sox) and '09 (crazy extra inning win vs. Detroit). In '06 the Twins ran down the Tigers to win the division, sweeping their last series while Detroit was losing. The fans stayed in the dome and watched the Tigers blow a late lead on the last day.

pitching worries

I'm a little worried that the recent respectable streak is built on a mirage. I agree the offense and bullpen seem fine, but remain very concerned about starting pitching. Can we really expect the string of quality starts from marginal minor league starters to continue? Is there any reason to be confident about the health and consistent performance of the veterans? I would not be surprised to see the starting pitching collapse into wretchedness again. I hope not, but it's hard to predict .500 ball for the rest of the season with this rotation.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I don't think there was a Game 163 for the Twins in '06. There was in '08 (lost 1-0 to the Sox) and '09 (crazy extra inning win vs. Detroit). In '06 the Twins ran down the Tigers to win the division, sweeping their last series while Detroit was losing. The fans stayed in the dome and watched the Tigers blow a late lead on the last day.
    You are correct. I was at that game at the dome. I have never heard so many people chanting "Let's go Royals" at a home Twins game before or since.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post

Maybe this is just my optimism getting the best of me but in 2006 on June 7th the Twins were 25-33, had just released washed up veterans like......, ......., and Kyle Loshe........
    The feel-good memories and optimism are distorting your concept of Lohse, who was hardly "washed up" at age 27. All it took was a good managerial and coaching staff at the Cardinals for Kyle to realize his full potential. What did the Twins have to show for Lohse? Zach Ward??? Wouldn't Lohse's $11.8 Million salary would look far better in the Twins current payroll structure than Pavano's $9 Mil?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You are correct. I was at that game at the dome. I have never heard so many people chanting "Let's go Royals" at a home Twins game before or since.
    Aahhhh yes. you are both right, I was thinking of the 09' game 163, which correct me if I'm wrong was the last regular season game at the dome right?

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The feel-good memories and optimism are distorting your concept of Lohse, who was hardly "washed up" at age 27. All it took was a good managerial and coaching staff at the Cardinals for Kyle to realize his full potential. What did the Twins have to show for Lohse? Zach Ward??? Wouldn't Lohse's $11.8 Million salary would look far better in the Twins current payroll structure than Pavano's $9 Mil?
    I actually almost excluded him from this when I wrote it, and you are right he is probably not washed up like the others... just needed a change of scenery.

I expect that the Twins will be closer to .500 up until the trade deadline, then (depending on how big a fire sale it is) back to a .400-ish record through the end of the year. But hey, if it leads to prospects, I won't complain
    Peanuts From Heaven

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Definitely shouldn't have been in the washed up list, but speaking of distorted concepts of Lohse...this is one of those things that somehow has taken life with little basis in fact that he somehow became much better after the Twins. He's been remarkably similar as an ex-Twin as he was as a Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Definitely shouldn't have been in the washed up list, but speaking of distorted concepts of Lohse...this is one of those things that somehow has taken life with little basis in fact that he somehow became much better after the Twins. He's been remarkably similar as an ex-Twin as he was as a Twin.
    he had reached the point of no return with Rick Anderson tho. Andywas no longer getting anything out of him & they had to dump him for nothing......then he returned to form. Kind of like Jose MiJares this year also.....or Frankie Liriano next yr. Or how about not getting anything out of RA Dickey but repeatedly giving Nick Blackburn chance after chance (tho contract dictates that)
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 06-07-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast