Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins recall Chris Parmelee

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    This must be a sign they are worried about Morneau, Mauer and/or Span. Otherwise, you just can't play Mauer, Morneau, Doumit, Span, Willingham, Revere, and Parmelee. If the first five are healthy . . ..
    I think it's Mauer, Morneau seems fine and Span has played a lot, I don't read much into him sitting last night. They need the left handed bat who can drive the ball so Parmelee gives the that. mauer will eventually be back though so I'm not sure where this is headed long-term. I agree Revere deserves to play and you can't play Parm like you play Mastro.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 338 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Originally Posted by shanewahl This must be a sign they are worried about Morneau, Mauer and/or Span. Otherwise, you just can't play Mauer, Morneau, Doumit, Span, Willingham, Revere, and Parmelee. If the first five are healthy . . ..

I think it's Mauer, Morneau seems fine and Span has played a lot, I don't read much into him sitting last night. They need the left handed bat who can drive the ball so Parmelee gives the that. mauer will eventually be back though so I'm not sure where this is headed long-term. I agree Revere deserves to play and you can't play Parm like you play Mastro.
    Doumit's extensive catching duties are going to require more rest as the season unfolds. Willingham can take some breaks DHing, with a possible OF of Span, Revere and Parmelee and/or Plouffe w/ Mastro strictly for PR and late-inning defense.

I actually think people are reading into this way too much. 13 pitchers were and are not needed on the roster, that leaves a bench of 2 with a backup C. A bench of Butera, Mastroianni and Carroll doesn't leave many options.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'm for giving Morneau a few extra days at DH. He has an .850 OBP as DH this year opposed to .765 OBP when playing 1B. He might still be working on getting comfrotable in the field.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 338 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    I actually think people are reading into this way too much. 13 pitchers were and are not needed on the roster, that leaves a bench of 2 with a backup C. A bench of Butera, Mastroianni and Carroll doesn't leave many options.
    Right on all counts, except the first, we should read into it that Gardy has shown a distinct penchant in him rather having excess pitchers and catchers than are needed over having impactful day-to-day moves to make off the bench in the late innings.

Liked 1,089 Times in 489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    Exactly. No need to expend a lot of brain cells trying to figure out something so simple and obvious.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just think it's a prelude to DL Mauer...I think they give him another day or two and if he still can't swing a bat then just retro him...what they'd do with Mauer's spot then i don't know. But I think you'll see Parm play 1B more and DH Morneau.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Other Moves

Cole De Vries optioned to Rochester - when he was called up, I figured that he would just be DFAd when he was sent down. Good for him to just be optioned.

Brian Dinkelman and Sam Deduno activated from the AAA DL, should play for Rochester soon.

Steve Hirschfeld, who made one start for the Red Wings on Wednesday. He was sent back to AA following the game.
    I think it makes sense - he stays on the 40-man roster so it's easy to move him back up quickly if he's needed for a spot start or someone goes down.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not usually one to try to "read into" moves, but I must say my first reaction to this was "Uh oh...Mauer's thumb is worse than originally thought"...or "Morneau tweaked something." I still don't see them wanting to call up Parmalee to sit much. He plays RF, 1B or could DH. Revere has been playing RF and also falls into the "if he stays he plays." 1B has been Mauer and Morneau almost entirely since Parmalee went down. DH has been mostly Doumit and Mauer. Mauer out would leave Doumit catching more and a spot Parmalee can play needing a fill. Hmmmmm.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I'm not usually one to try to "read into" moves, but I must say my first reaction to this was "Uh oh...Mauer's thumb is worse than originally thought"...or "Morneau tweaked something." I still don't see them wanting to call up Parmalee to sit much. He plays RF, 1B or could DH. Revere has been playing RF and also falls into the "if he stays he plays." 1B has been Mauer and Morneau almost entirely since Parmalee went down. DH has been mostly Doumit and Mauer. Mauer out would leave Doumit catching more and a spot Parmalee can play needing a fill. Hmmmmm.
    I thought so too. But if that was the case, I'm sure the Twins would rush to put him on the DL. Ha. Ha. I'm killing it today.

This team's reluctance to put a star on the DL drives me crazy. Just nuts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    John, you just made me laugh at my desk. Good thing I'm on mute on this conference call.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Exactly. No need to expend a lot of brain cells trying to figure out something so simple and obvious.
    What a burden it must be to be the smartest man alive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123