Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Allowing 0-2 home runs.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,203 Times in 480 Posts

Allowing 0-2 home runs.

Interesting, in a "why the hell would you throw that?" sort of way.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...unt-advantage/

The highlight:

Pitching Team % HRs 0-2
    Minnesota Twins 5.9%
    San Diego Padres 5.1%
    New York Yankees 5.0%
    Philadelphia Phillies 4.8%
    Atlanta Braves 4.6%
    Data: 2010-Present

I know Chief will appreciate this thread.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I would imagine when you don't have an "out pitch" this happens more frequently. The Twins pitchers the last couple of years have been somewhat lacking in those types of pitches.

Liked 2,946 Times in 1,258 Posts
    When I'm hired to manage the Twins, any pitcher giving up solid contact on 0-2 will be fined. Any pitcher giving up solid contact in fair territory will be fined and sent to AAA. Any pitcher giving up an extra base hit will be fined, sent to AA, and forced to do public service commercials for the AA team. Any pitcher giving up a HR on 0-2 will be fined, sent to A ball, forced to do public service commercials for the A ball team, and have his kids taken away.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    When I'm hired to manage the Twins, any pitcher giving up solid contact on 0-2 will be fined. Any pitcher giving up solid contact in fair territory will be fined and sent to AAA. Any pitcher giving up an extra base hit will be fined, sent to AA, and forced to do public service commercials for the AA team. Any pitcher giving up a HR on 0-2 will be fined, sent to A ball, forced to do public service commercials for the A ball team, and have his kids taken away.
    Chief,

Send them to Cashman Field in Las Vegas to pitch 5 p.m. batting practice at 100+ degrees, dressed as showgirls.

Liked 679 Times in 357 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My hope that you will become the manager has been diminished by this post. Hitters need to know that the 0-2 pitch might possibly be a good one, so that they don't lay off it.

I agree with whydidnt that a lack of out pitches is probably the biggest factor here.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,137 Times in 605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    My hope that you will become the manager has been diminished by this post. Hitters need to know that the 0-2 pitch might possibly be a good one, so that they don't lay off it.

I agree with whydidnt that a lack of out pitches is probably the biggest factor here.
    My terror inducing fear that he would ever become manager has finally been put to rest with this post..............along with a few others.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I've always had the impression that Baker was most guilty of giving up the 0 - 2 long ball. I still am. It's amazing how some pitchers do great in getting a batter to 0 - 2 and then put one in the zone. Is it hubris? A mistake? Or, fleeting mental focus?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Although I will concede that as I witnessed Cabrera launch that 0-2 fastball 410 feet, at my son's first Twins game, turning out what was setting up to be a picture perfect day, I thought about plotting an unfortunate accident for Matt Capps.

But hey, he has kids too and this is baseball and I got to run the bases with my kid so, no hard feelings.

I think.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haha (to the comments) and interesting to the OP. It seems to absolutely be related to the out pitch, whydidnt.

Look it is one thing to "pitch to contact" but it is another thing to only throw straight fastballs in doing so. Pitching to weak contact with above average-to-excellent offspeed stuff on 0-2 counts (and elsewhere) is deeply lacking in the rotation at the moment. I do think that what separates Hendriks from the Walters and DeVries (and Blackburn, but that stupid, ridiculous, absurd contract) crowd is the ability soon enough to be able to have that out pitch work.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Haha (to the comments) and interesting to the OP. It seems to absolutely be related to the out pitch, whydidnt.

Look it is one thing to "pitch to contact" but it is another thing to only throw straight fastballs in doing so. Pitching to weak contact with above average-to-excellent offspeed stuff on 0-2 counts (and elsewhere) is deeply lacking in the rotation at the moment. I do think that what separates Hendriks from the Walters and DeVries (and Blackburn, but that stupid, ridiculous, absurd contract) crowd is the ability soon enough to be able to have that out pitch work.
    Agree with Hendriks but he'll eventually tighten up his breaking pitches as well. I think Diamond, so far has shown excellent off-speed stuff and while Frankie will always have his slider (provided he's throwing fastballs near the zone) I was pretty surprised to see his change-up work as well as it did against Oakland. He didn't go back to it much against KC though.

Liked 679 Times in 357 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post

I am hoping that you are correct about Hendriks. But when I saw him pitch in Anaheim last month, he seemed to have good control but no out pitch. What is his out pitch?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I am hoping that you are correct about Hendriks. But when I saw him pitch in Anaheim last month, he seemed to have good control but no out pitch. What is his out pitch?
    Well the out pitch can be a fastball just a bit farther out/in of the zone, but I also think his changeup is developing into that kind of pitch