Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game 58 - Twins vs Cubs - 6/9/12

Pressure is on Carroll here to get a hit.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 602 Times in 324 Posts
    The Cubs better hope they get something out of Dempster tomorrow or it's going to be a long afternoon, that bullpen is cooked.

I personally do not hope for it

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Could this be Gray's last game as a Twin?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Could this be Gray's last game as a Twin?
    Who would you bring up? I would guess it'd be Guerra.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Ok, great game Twins, now for some further reflection: Gray is quickly becoming what most of us thought he would, a very mediocre mop-up only pitcher. Not good. Any changes with Gray or should we keep him as long relief/mop-up only? I'd say give him a couple more appearances and see what happens, as long as those appearances are low-leverage situations.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Star Tribune tomorrow: "Another Sloppy Twins Win" I mean, they gave up 3 runs!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Ok, great game Twins, now for some further reflection: Gray is quickly becoming what most of us thought he would, a very mediocre mop-up only pitcher. Not good. Any changes with Gray or should we keep him as long relief/mop-up only? I'd say give him a couple more appearances and see what happens, as long as those appearances are low-leverage situations.
    I was one of those saying he should have a chance - I believe when you are doing well you stay up as long as performance justifies. But he has now had 3 sub-par performances in his last 4 appearances. I would check with Rochester and see if either Guerra or Oliveros are ready. If yes, I'd make the change.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was really nice to see us finally bust open a game like that. Another series win - let's see a sweep.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kismet

It's a mystical reality that when the Twins are winning good things start happening to me. Like now all kinds of studio jobs are falling into my lap (film promotion, trailers, :30 TV teasers, etc.). The Kid gets the sweep tomorrow.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I was one of those saying he should have a chance - I believe when you are doing well you stay up as long as performance justifies. But he has now had 3 sub-par performances in his last 4 appearances. I would check with Rochester and see if either Guerra or Oliveros are ready. If yes, I'd make the change.
    That's the thing though, if it's only mop up duty what's the rush to bring someone up if Oliveros or Guerra or Guttierez or whomever is gonna be in the same role?? let them get innings in AAA, if there is an injury then I'd say yeah but right now it's Burnett, Burton, Duensing, Perk and Capps as your main guys, Manship and Swarzak are your long guys..does'nt leave alot of chances for the anybody else.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Does anyone want to be Danny Valencia??
    He needed a reality check. The impression he gave was that he thought he was Graig Nettles, only prettier. Disfigured by vanity because he was lacklustre and sub-par. Look, you're in the major leagues - it's a big deal, a lot of glamour and status - it could turn anyone's head. But, it's a very tough and unforgiving game. A Josh Hamilton is rarer than a true blue Siamese sapphire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    That's the thing though, if it's only mop up duty what's the rush to bring someone up if Oliveros or Guerra or Guttierez or whomever is gonna be in the same role?? let them get innings in AAA, if there is an injury then I'd say yeah but right now it's Burnett, Burton, Duensing, Perk and Capps as your main guys, Manship and Swarzak are your long guys..does'nt leave alot of chances for the anybody else.
    Good points. At some point, though, they'll need a fifth starter again. At that time I think you'd have to make a move - Swarzak or Manship making spot starts (I'm assuming Pavano will be out a while), Duensing moving to a long relief role, making an opening for a set-up guy.

The other thought is that, while today's laugher was fun to watch and the Twins bats have been waking up, I'm still remembering earlier in the season when runs were at a premium and we were in a lot of close games. If we revert back to that at all, it won't be mop-up duty but innings that really matter. Do we still have confidence Gray can handle those?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 131 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't see the point of keeping Gray around. The Twins have several options in the minors who are younger and have more upside. Gray isn't that good and doesn't figure to ever get any better. They do need starters and probably Gray could/should be replaced by a starter.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Good points. At some point, though, they'll need a fifth starter again. At that time I think you'd have to make a move - Swarzak or Manship making spot starts (I'm assuming Pavano will be out a while), Duensing moving to a long relief role, making an opening for a set-up guy.

The other thought is that, while today's laugher was fun to watch and the Twins bats have been waking up, I'm still remembering earlier in the season when runs were at a premium and we were in a lot of close games. If we revert back to that at all, it won't be mop-up duty but innings that really matter. Do we still have confidence Gray can handle those?
    Swarzak and Duensing have proven their inability to start games. Manship is still unproven, but probably deserves a chance to spot start. Instead of moving up either Guerra or Oliveros, instead of interrupting their development, wouldn't this be the time to bring Slama up? Assuming his injury is minor, he will be off the 7-Day DL next Wednesday. They have to make a decision on him this year, one way or another, now's a good a time as any.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Swarzak and Duensing have proven their inability to start games. Manship is still unproven, but probably deserves a chance to spot start. Instead of moving up either Guerra or Oliveros, instead of interrupting their development, wouldn't this be the time to bring Slama up? Assuming his injury is minor, he will be off the 7-Day DL next Wednesday. They have to make a decision on him this year, one way or another, now's a good a time as any.
    Seems like a no brainer to bring Slama up at this point and DFA Gray

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great win today. Hopefully Liriano gives us another solid performance tomorrow and we get the sweep. Keep the momentum going!
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Nice not to be the most hopeless fan base for once.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123