Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Tom Stuifbergen

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tom Stuifbergen

I see that Stuifbergen has been activated from the DL at Fort Myers (Munoz on the DL in his place).

I'm still learning who we have in our system. Can someone give me the low-down on Stuifbergen?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Nick Nelson wrote in my Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook 2012:

Hardcopy: http://www.lulu.com/shop/seth-stohs/...-18828149.html
    E-Book: http://www.lulu.com/shop/seth-stohs/...-18839347.html

Tom Stuifbergen – RHP – (9/26/88)
    Acquired: Signed as F/A in Aug. 2006 from The Netherlands
    2011 Team(s): Ft. Myers Miracle, Rochester Red Wings
    2011 Stats: 6-9, 4.29 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 121.2 IP, 19 BB, 80 K

The 2011 season was a good one for Stuifbergen in that he took the next step up the ladder, graduating from Beloit to Ft. Myers, and set a career high in innings by racking up 121.2 over 24 appearances (23 starts). He even got a taste of Triple-A competition, making one emergency start for Rochester late in the year.

The 6-3 Dutch right-hander didn’t post overwhelming numbers, but he flashed excellent control, allowing only 19 walks on the year. That’s sure to ingratiate him with a Twins organization that loves hurlers who can keep the ball over the plate. His arsenal includes four-seam and two-seam fastballs as well as a curveball and changeup. His secondary stuff generates plenty of ground balls, especially against same-sided hitters.

Following the 2011 season, he pitched for Team Netherland in the World Cup tournament in Panama. In total, he worked in three games and went 2-0 with a save. Netherlands won the championship with a win over Cuba. Stuifbergen tossed 17 shutout innings in the tournament and was named the Most Outstanding Pitcher. Weeks later, Stuifbergen was knighted in his homeland. So, if you like, you can refer to him as “Sir” Tom Stuifbergen. (NN)