Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examples of successful trades for prospects

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries

Examples of successful trades for prospects

With all the discussion about possibly trading players away, where sometimes the opinion is "not unless we're blown away by an offer," I got to thinking about what kind of successful trade ought to be the benchmark now. Here are three, just off the top of my head:
    • Rangers trade Mark Teixeira for a nucleus
    • Braves trade Doyle Alexander for a future HOF starter
    • Twins trade A.J. Pierzynski for three pitchers who worked out to varying degrees

What other such trades would you nominate?

Rockies trading Matt Holliday for CarGo and Huston Street. I thought it was a terrible trade until CarGo went off.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    Nationals trade Matt Capps for Wilson Ramos.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Viola for Tapani and Aggie (plus a couple) was a World Series kind of trade as it worked out. Knobby for Milton, Guzman, Buchanan and I think someone else seems to be thrown out there a lot. Those are the two I think of from the Twins perspective off the top of my head.

Blog Entries
    Good ones. Keep 'em coming.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A recent one.. Dodgers trade Carlos Santana to Indians for Casey Blake at the trade deadline. Or my personal favorite.. Steve Phillips GM for the Mets at the time trades away Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Which side wins?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    It's too early to tell but the Pence, Gonzalez and Latos trades this past year+ are all good examples of the type of trades I'd like us to get.

Minnesota Timberwolves trade Kevin Garnett for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade. Minnesota also receives cash considerations in the deal.
    Dynasty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Minnesota Timberwolves trade Kevin Garnett
    I'll see your Kevin Garnett and raise you with the Herschel Walker deal.

(How many guys allow themselves to be accomplices to the thread-jacking of their own thread? )
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-11-2012 at 05:27 PM.

We were all so excited when he lost that damn shoe!! Then the Cowboys won four super bowls!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    That didn't take long

Seriously what was Bill Smith thinking? Oh well. I guess Cappsy hasn't been toooo bad.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From a perspective a Brewers fan.... We won the Greinke trade no doubt, Odorizzi may be a stud in the majors but he will not be able to match what Greinke has done. Jefress is an ok reliever,Lorenzo Cain isn't ****, and and Escobar is a servicable short stop without a bat.
    The Sabathia trade for Laporta/Brantley is also a success, Laporta hasn't amounted to ****.
    The trade that screwed the Brewers was trading Lawrie for Marcum, I was against it at the time and I still am correct.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Of 10,000 Beasts View Post
    That didn't take long

Seriously what was Bill Smith thinking?
    Just a guess but I suspect he was thinking something along the lines of "we dropped 10 games in the standings in a month. Our bullpen sucks and has been pitching over its head. Ramos is injury prone and isn't hitting at AAA, I have the best catcher in baseball. We're in it to win now."

Incidentally, Sickels wrote about the trade when it happened: "The Twins traded Wilson Ramos and Joe Testa to the Nationals for Matt Capps. Capps reinforces the Twins bullpen for the stretch run. Testa isn't a prospect, but Ramos definitely is. I have some misgivings about his bat due to his sketchy plate discipline, but his glove has really come around and his power potential remains impressive. I like him, but not enough to pan the trade from Minnesota's point of view; I think it is fair for both teams. In my Shadow Twins universe, I will make this trade."

Baseball America noted: "The Twins had issues with his conditioning, and he's heavier than the above indicates. He's a base-clogger and well-below-average runner."

And going by bWAR since the trade, Capps has been worth 2.3 to Ramos' 2.0 (although comparing reliever WAR to anyone is sorta ridiculous).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Right now the Gio Gonzalez trades looks like a steal for the Nat's but that is because he is tearing up the NL and the guys on the other end of the trade haven't made their mark yet. Here is what was said when the trade was announced last December.

In exchange for Gonzalez, a 26-year-old who has won 15-plus games and thrown 200-plus innings in each of the past two seasons, the Nationals are giving up three pitching prospects — right-handers Brad Peacock and A.J. Cole, and lefty Tommy Milone — plus catching prospect Derek Norris. Peacock, Cole and Norris ranked third, fourth and ninth, respectively, in Baseball America’s recent list of the Nationals’ top prospects. Gonzalez, a first-time all-star in 2011, is not without flaws. A power arm who ranked fourth in the American League in 2011 with 8.78 strikeouts per nine innings, he also led the league in walks, with 91, a year after finishing second with 90. It also appears he benefited from pitching in Oakland’s cavernous Coliseum the past four seasons, recording a career ERA of 3.56 at home versus 4.32 on the road.

Would you be willing to give up the Twins 3rd, 4th and 9th best prospects for a guy that has walked 90 and 91 batters the previous two seasons? Right now it looks like a one-sided trade for the Nationals, but you have to look back 8 or 10 years to really appreciate the value traded.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Viola for Tapani and Aggie (plus a couple) was a World Series kind of trade as it worked out. Knobby for Milton, Guzman, Buchanan and I think someone else seems to be thrown out there a lot. Those are the two I think of from the Twins perspective off the top of my head.
    .... And who was the prize of the deal? DAVID WEST! Even Jack Savage and Tim Drummond pitched for the Twins. How often have all five players actually made the majors

Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    .... And who was the prize of the deal? DAVID WEST! Even Jack Savage and Tim Drummond pitched for the Twins. How often have all five players actually made the majors
    That's right, David West was the stud, the true prize pf that supposed deal. He was given every chance in hell, and didn't materialize. I still like the remembrances of all the names thrown out in Santana deals. Yankees" Hughes, Melky, Kennedy a PTBNL. Boston: Lester, Crisp, Masterson, Lowrie and Bowden. But the Twins had a hard-on for Ellsbury,

When one trades for prospects, one team gets the player they need right now for that season to put them over the top. The other team may get a prize or two or three who are blocked in the system (Ramos was expendable because of Mauer, for example).

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I compiled them and wrote up a blog entry, comparing the current Twins roster to these blockbuster trades, if you have an interest.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Which side wins?
    The side that traded away a good but not great reliever with a multi-million dollar contract for a young, starting-caliber position player with several years of serfdom left.

If the Twins could trade Capps at the deadline for a prospect as good as Ramos, I'd be very pleased.

I'll add another one that could turn out well. Delmon Young for Lester Oliveros and Cole Nelson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast