Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Game 61 - Twins vs Phillies - 6/13/12

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I am a Twins fan. But I am a fan of the sport first. For that reason, I will celebrate anybody of Thome's accomplishments, especially the way he did it, the right way. If you don't understand that, you and me have very different ideas of what a sport is.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Ultima Ratio;24759]
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post

I only know of one other couple here who are Twins fans, and oddly enough only met them because the saw me wearing my Twins Jersey walking down the street. They were so shocked they had to pull over and give me a ride down the street.

I plan on going whether I'm alone or not, though my wife will join me one night.
    I do go on Twins' games when they play here (that has been rare) and on their Minor league games when they play here (and this is not that rare). And I do wear Twins' stuff. And the MLB club "here" is the one they played tonight. And the fans have a bad reputation about being unfriendly. Never had any problems. Really. As far as the (closest to me) AAA and AA games, those are much more relaxed and neverminding. I usually wear a Miracle cap in those

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

ugggh

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    So the whole Target Field cheered for an opposing player hit a HR against the Twins. The same guy who hit one against the Twins in a game 163 a few years ago wearing a White Sux uni and made sure that the Twins did not make the post season. Yes he wore a Twins' uniform for a season and a half. But career-wise, he killed the Twins more than he helped them hands down.
    I find rooting for an opponent who hit a home run in your home turf unacceptable. Period. Gotta draw the line. I guess there is a "new" generation of Twins fans who don't mind losing and like to root for the Twins to lose. This might explain all the love of Gardy, Andy and Co. Maybe. I sure don't like it.
    absolutely classless. i've seen your post for years and you are so reactionary. have fun chatting with fanatic jack sucker.
    Wikipedia is for suckers

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    absolutely classless. i've seen your post for years and you are so reactionary. have fun chatting with fanatic jack sucker.
    I think that we all tend to get frustrated when the bad guys score 6 runs in the first inning, and we have different ways of expressing such anger.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just read this on the Twins website:

"Thome brought his former team's fans to their feet for a standing ovation in the fourth. He provoked the applause after hitting a two-run homer over the batter's eye in center field, an estimated 466-foot shot -- the third-longest in Target Field history. " http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...recap&c_id=min

So there was a historic aspect in terms of how far he hit the ball.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not frustrated, GlunnI think you're missing my point, I'm not applauding the phillies winning. I'm for the crowd cheering a classy player. we lost, big deal. don't disrespect a guy who was a great short term twin and who will be in the hof. And a whole other thread...I won't say it
    Wikipedia is for suckers

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a long season. Next season will also be long, as will the one following that.

There's nothing wrong with cheering a guy who you respect and enjoy watching play in the twilight of his career. It's one game out of 162 in a season that is probably a lost cause anyway.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I may have missed someone else stating this point of view, but Thome's 4th inning homer increased the lead from 7-3 to 9-3. When the home team is already getting stomped, and this now just adds to it, it makes it much more forgivable IMO to stop concentrating on the home team winning and appreciate any secondary aspects to the game such as individual accomplishments. Applauding a fan favorite in this manner seems classy, not lacking in home spirit.

No one could know in the 4th inning that these would be the last two runs the Phillies would score in a one-run win. I really doubt that the same ovation would have occurred if, say, the homer had happened in the top of the 8th or 9th to retake a lead.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Interesting comments from Gardy in the post-game interview. He seemed to indicate there was no advance warning that Walters was hurting. Oliveros is coming up; corresponding roster move to be announced tomorrow after Walters MRI.
    I wonder if Gardy is the type of manager who growls about "don't tell me about every ache and pain" when a player or trainer brings him such news, and then growls that he wasn't informed when the problem turned out to be serious. I suspect "I can't get loose" happens every now and then during warmup, and sometimes the pitcher probably gives up a run or two in the first inning then seemingly settles down because he finds a way to get around the discomfort or it just works itself out on its own.

Yogi Berra has the apocryphal quote that pitchers are all liars and crybabies. I suspect many managers share that view to some degree; they can remember cases where a pitcher said he wasn't sure he'd be able to last even three innings today, and then throws a shutout.

I really hope Gardy isn't guilty of second-guessing here.

Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    I'm not frustrated, GlunnI think you're missing my point, I'm not applauding the phillies winning. I'm for the crowd cheering a classy player. we lost, big deal. don't disrespect a guy who was a great short term twin and who will be in the hof. And a whole other thread...I won't say it
    The guy hit a towering shot and the game was already blown open. Its not like he hit a 2 run single and the place cheered. I would have done the same. Despite the team playing better, they still are sitting in last place. Might as well stand and cheer for a classy player who helped make Target Field's first two season memorable.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567