Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauer not pleased about slide by Weeks

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Mauer not pleased about slide by Weeks

From the postgame report, it seems like Mauer was not pleased with the way that Rickie Weeks slid into home on Sunday afternoon.

I didn't think it was a dirty play at the time but I was wondering what others thought about the play.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    From the postgame report, it seems like Mauer was not pleased with the way that Rickie Weeks slid into home on Sunday afternoon.

I didn't think it was a dirty play at the time but I was wondering what others thought about the play.
    Joe Mauer must be employing Leona Helmsley's Public Relations Advisor.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't think it looked dirty at all at the time, still don't.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless, one's got to love the medical terminology the Twins are using these days (from that link above) :
    Joe Mauer said Rickie Weeks' knee gave him a Charley horse in his right thigh
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Has anyone ever been put on the 15 day DL for a "Charlie horse"?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    This is the first time I can ever recall Mauer calling another play/player dirty, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I don't think it was a dirty slide either, but clearly Mauer was not ready for it. It looked like he thought Weeks was just going to slow down and let himself be tagged out. Mauer needs to actually brace himself for contact, which he didn't try to do until it was too late.

I just watched it for the first time on several different angles (MLB At-Bat app). I don't think it was "dirty" per se, but I'm not sure what Weeks was doing on that play either. There's a great angle that shows Weeks was taking an angle inside the foul line, and Mauer was slightly off to the side, with only his foot "blocking" the plate. It was not like the Posey play where he was trying to block the plate - I don't see how Mauer could be faulted on that play. If he stood completely off to the side and did the "ole!" tag and missed Weeks, the fans would've murdered him.

photo.jpg

It looks like Weeks just expected that there was going to be a collision of some kind, and got into that mindset. Really, though, he had a pretty good chance of scoring if he did a hook slide to the right side of the plate. Mauer might have even missed the tag had he done that. Of course, this is happening very fast, so it's easy to play Monday Morning QB. The play looks ugly because Weeks threw his legs out to the left as if he was initiating contact, but it didn't look like intent to injure. Keep in mind that Mauer is 6'5" and about 230...I think the throw beat him and Weeks was just expecting a huge collision, and (understandably) didn't want to get the worst of it.
    Last edited by StormJH1; 06-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    Has anyone ever been put on the 15 day DL for a "Charlie horse"?
    Only if it's bilateral.

Liked 1,086 Times in 489 Posts
    So the twins have a 23m per year injury-prone player...not known for his toughness...let's leave him at catcher! Brilliant!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts

Dont like the play. Not a fan of baserunners takin out the catcher when they give them home plate. Got a feelin MLB may eventually rule against that. Different when the plate is blocked of course.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I watched it and thought Weeks went out of his way to make contact - the plate was not blocked, but Weeks moved from outside the line to inside it where Joe was standing. I know that's part of the game and I'm not saying Weeks was trying to injure Mauer, but it was clearly Weeks' choice to make contact. If I remember correctly, Weeks even missed the plate on his slide because of the line he took.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-18-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer is a baby and weeks is a D%#$&... So i dont care about this situation

wow...thanks for elevating the conversation...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinVike61 View Post
    wow...thanks for elevating the conversation...
    My post while it is sounds trollish, childish, or whatever you want to call it... I believe it is warranted. I absolutley cannot stand players that compain about things like this, and how much attention it gets. Collisions like this come with the job. Your the highest paid catcher in mlb history, your 6'5" 230 lbs and your complaining about a guy giving you a charlie horse.

Brett Favre said it all when reacting to the saints bounty In the NFL “Now the truth comes out. That’s good. But that’s football. The only thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing is we lost the game. That’s the thing about that day that still bothers me. And that’s the way it goes. If they wanted me to testify in court about this, they’d be calling the wrong guy.”

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    My post while it is sounds trollish, childish, or whatever you want to call it... I believe it is warranted. I absolutley cannot stand players that compain about things like this, and how much attention it gets. Collisions like this come with the job. Your the highest paid catcher in mlb history, your 6'5" 230 lbs and your complaining about a guy giving you a charlie horse.

Brett Favre said it all when reacting to the saints bounty In the NFL “Now the truth comes out. That’s good. But that’s football. The only thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing is we lost the game. That’s the thing about that day that still bothers me. And that’s the way it goes. If they wanted me to testify in court about this, they’d be calling the wrong guy.”
    From the quote in StarTribune from Mauer: "But coming in hard -- that’s part of the game"

He was almost certainly asked about the play and he answered. I don't get how that's complaining or whining or whatever. It was a strange play. Watching it I thought I'd never really seen a collision where the guy was out by THAT much and that far from the plate when the made contact. So yeah, being asked and answering by saying it wasn't what he expected is pretty understandable, isn't it? And even if he did use a tone that implied he was annoyed, is that really so out of line that people need to get up in arms about it?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not a big Mauer supporter, but he has good reason to complain about that. Joe is clearly on the inside of the base path where it is illegal for base runners to go within. Since Mauer was not in the basepath he shouldn't have been hit. There is no reason for contact on that play and Weeks had plenty of time to alter his path because he was dead in the water and thrown out by a mile.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    From the quote in StarTribune from Mauer: "But coming in hard -- that’s part of the game"

He was almost certainly asked about the play and he answered. I don't get how that's complaining or whining or whatever. It was a strange play. Watching it I thought I'd never really seen a collision where the guy was out by THAT much and that far from the plate when the made contact. So yeah, being asked and answering by saying it wasn't what he expected is pretty understandable, isn't it? And even if he did use a tone that implied he was annoyed, is that really so out of line that people need to get up in arms about it?

Here's the entire quote:

"Obviously, I was sort of prepared for a little collision, but he kind of darted in a little bit more than I thought," Mauer said. "But coming in hard -- that’s part of the game. ... I was trying to give him -- you know, obviously be in front of the plate -- but give him an area to slide, and he kind of went right toward my thigh....(he continued with more of what Christensen implied was whining)"

What Mauer should've said if Leona Helmsley's Press Agent wasn't his media advisor:

"Obviously, I was sort of prepared for a little collision, but he kind of darted in a little bit more than I thought," Mauer said. "But coming in hard -- that’s part of the game."

End of story.

There is no reason to say anything about the play being "unexpected", even if it was. No place in baseball for this passive-agressive stuff.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Mauer not pleased about slide by Weeks.

Almost all Twins fans upset with Mauer being soft or should I say "the difference between hurt and injured."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast