Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins vs. Reds, 06/24/2012, 12:10pm

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the postgame, Tim Laudner said that Diamond reminds him of Brad Radke - only average velocity but with good control.

re Mastrionni not Doumit hitting in the 9th: the only thing I can think of is that Gardy wanted to use Span as a pinch runner if Mauer (which happened) or Willingham got on. And its not like Doumit has been tearing it up against LHP's this year (13 hits in 63 plate appearances)

in the end, it all worked out, so horray.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    seven page game thread...nice!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    seven page game thread...nice!
    Yep. It was a great game so that's not entirely surprising. I'd like to see every game hit 100 posts, good games to get over 200. There's still much to be done to get the forums where we think they should be.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do you guys think that Dozier will be the starting SS for the remainder of the year?

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see Diamond bounce back with a very solid outing...I still think he's a keeper and the Hammer saves the day.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Do you guys think that Dozier will be the starting SS for the remainder of the year?

YES!...they have nobody else...he'll be fine. He made a great defensive paly again today and although he has too many errors he shows potential to be a solid SS. He's also had his moments offensively, needs more consistency but that's nothing new for a young player in his 1st yr.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Yes, if only because they have no other viable options. The Twins are a bad team and now is the time to let young guys take their lumps and hopefully progress.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier has made rookie mistakes and has taken his lumps lately. I think his defense is better than the high number of errors and he has the ability to hit. But, like Morneau right now, he's in an awful funk at the plate. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, he comes out of it.

I certainly don't want to see Carroll starting lots of games at SS. If they want to send Dozier down, they should recall Florimon, who has done a decent job in the minors.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If they want to send Dozier down, they should recall Florimon, who has done a decent job in the minors.
    At the very least, I would like to see Florimon as a September callup.

Great win for the Twins today and an excellent game thread.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Wow. This game is why I love baseball.
    Agreed. This was a baseball lovers game. Some interesting strategy, some in-game heroics, lots of early count swing and contact that kept the game moving at a brisk pace, the last two innings chock-full with the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat

I would have been disappointed if the bottom of the 8th had made the final difference, but it still would have been a tremendous regular season game.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    I so want to like Casilla. He's a talented player when his head isn't planted in his ass.
    I'm there. It looks like now that he finally has legit competition for PT he is playing much better in the field. He's usually good for 2-3 mini runs/season when he looks like he has finally put it all together on offense and defense, I'm thinking he might be due for a little hitting outbreak, especially if Gardy decides to give Dozier a day off now and again and move Caroll over to short. Dozier looks like he's going to possibly be a Gagne-level type of SS, he made some terrific plays today, it still wouldn't hurt to give him a break, he's definitely pressing at the plate right now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    At the very least, I would like to see Florimon as a September callup.

Great win for the Twins today and an excellent game thread.
    Florimon is staging a mini-break out at ROC, Michael showing the fleetingest glimpses of a heartbeat at FtM, who woulda thunk it? MN Twins w/ organizational SS depth?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Nice hit by Mauer -- now it's Hammer Time.
    IMO, you are vastly understating what Mauer accomplished there. Down 0-2 in the count, fighting off 101 and 102 MPH fastballs and making good decisions on when to swing against 88-91 MPH sliders, that was one of the few times I could agree with the general blanket characterization of a "great at bat" . He literally broke Chapman's spirit, especially after he took yet another ridiculously powerful 3-2 pitch opposite field off the wall. Without that hit for a double, Chapman probably had another 100+MPH pitch or two to feed the Hammer with 2 outs and bases empty. Kudos to Hammer for getting all of that 97 MPH pitch, but Mauer gets a huge share of the credit for that hit and getting Diamond through 8 from behind the plate.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    IMO, you are vastly understating what Mauer accomplished there. Down 0-2 in the count, fighting off 101 and 102 MPH fastballs and making good decisions on when to swing against 88-91 MPH sliders, that was one of the few times I could agree with the general blanket characterization of a "great at bat" . He literally broke Chapman's spirit, especially after he took yet another ridiculously powerful 3-2 pitch opposite field off the wall. Without that hit for a double, Chapman probably had another 100+MPH pitch or two to feed the Hammer with 2 outs and bases empty. Kudos to Hammer for getting all of that 97 MPH pitch, but Mauer gets a huge share of the credit for that hit and getting Diamond through 8 from behind the plate.
    Yep, Mauer was the player of the game. Willingham may have had the game-winning RBI but Joe was the one who stood in there and had that 10 or 11 pitch AB and knocked Chapman off his game. It was the very definition of a "professional at-bat".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome game thread, I appreciate the descriptions and insights. I couldn't tune in today, sounds like I missed a beauty of the game with a lot of interesting stuff that you don't really get from recaps, highlights and box scores.

Maybe I should skip more often, I seem to have a habit of missing the good ones.

And I've got tickets for tomorrow night's game, which doesn't bode well either - the Twins have lost the last 8 games that I've attended - heartbreakers, blowouts and everything in between. No better way to see that streak broken than against the Whities, but I have this horrible feeling that it's going to be Good Peavy vs. Bad Frankie.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    Awesome game thread, I appreciate the descriptions and insights. I couldn't tune in today, sounds like I missed a beauty of the game with a lot of interesting stuff that you don't really get from recaps, highlights and box scores.

Maybe I should skip more often, I seem to have a habit of missing the good ones.

And I've got tickets for tomorrow night's game, which doesn't bode well either - the Twins have lost the last 8 games that I've attended - heartbreakers, blowouts and everything in between. No better way to see that streak broken than against the Whities, but I have this horrible feeling that it's going to be Good Peavy vs. Bad Frankie.
    1)It rarely is worth an investment of time in re-watching a game or knowing the outcome in advance, this is one of those great exceptions. I highly recommend to watch the rebroadcast tonight.

2) Plouffe broke out his own slump today, Mauer out of his leadership slump, Diamond out of his of-late pitching woes, no reason you can't break out of your own slump tomorrow night.
    Here's a hopeful prediction: Morneau is batting 333/385/1167/1551 against the Sox this season. How about a break out from his own slump tomorrow night against Peavy?

I'm actually looking forward to this series if the Twins can start playing like today more often and nothing gets the juices flowing like going up against AJ.

1)It rarely is worth an investment of time in re-watching a game or knowing the outcome in advance, this is one of those great exceptions. I highly recommend to watch the rebroadcast tonight.

2) Plouffe broke out his own slump today, Mauer out of his leadership slump, Diamond out of his of-late pitching woes, no reason you can't break out of your own slump tomorrow night.
    Here's a hopeful prediction: Morneau is batting 333/385/1167/1551 against the Sox this season. How about a break out from his own slump tomorrow night against Peavy?

I'm actually looking forward to this series if the Twins can start playing like today more often and nothing gets the juices flowing like going up against AJ.
    I also missed the game, but I'll definitely consider watching it tonight. I'll be at tomorrows game as we look to cut into that white sox lead a little bit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

1) Ha! I often DVR games I can't catch live but rarely go back to them and settle for highlights instead. But I was actually thinking to myself as I read through the thread "Man, it might actually be worth going back and watching this one."

2) I'd love for that prediction to come through. I keep thinking, or at least hoping, that Morneau will bust out and go on a tear. Tomorrow is about as good a time to start that as we're going to get. I'm interested to see how they come out in the series as well. There are a number of troubling aspects to the season thus far, the 13-22 home record is a big one. Gotta find a way to start winning on our own turf, especially against division foes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    1) Ha! I often DVR games I can't catch live but rarely go back to them and settle for highlights instead. But I was actually thinking to myself as I read through the thread "Man, it might actually be worth going back and watching this one."
    I do the same. If I'm not going to be able to watch any or even chunks, I'll just dvr. Sometimes I'll be insulated from finding out and I'll watch the game (often hurrying between pitches or the like with the ffwd). But even if I have kept tabs on the game, I like having it recorded for "just in case" moments that I want to go back and watch. Today's game is definitely one to at least watch parts of. I'd say every Votto at-bat (for various reasons) and the 9th inning for absolute sure.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast