Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep fantasy baseball league

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I'm going to rejoin after this league as Richard McBeef

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    so given kab's comments and private conversations I've had methinks we BYTOers are at the crossroads of needing what amounts to Elysian Fields II in order to keep posting. I enjoy so many of your baseball insights but we arent going to last here. so what if we combined that issue with the conversation here and talked about our own fantasy baseball and our brand of snark. No need to worry about the circumstances here and we can have some baseball intensive fun at the same time? Thoughts? I think most of us are done here - why not keep our much better baseball chatter going? Start our own new fantasy league and use that message board instead.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 03-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.

So this is off topic as its a different league but we have a last minute opening in a keeper league 14 teams 6 keepers, 5x5.

The fee is $60 but we might raise it to $100 this year because an owner of one of the teams unfortunately passed away tragically over the weekend, the idea is we are going to take half the money and donate it to the family. If any of you are interested let me know, its a good group of guys mainly in Brooklyn and NYC.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'll drift between halfway active and inactive here but there are some really good people here also.

I have no interest in another fantasy league. I'm probably going to be riding a bicycle around for a majority of the next two summers and I can barely manage one (awesome) team doing that. There's some good baseball people at the fantasybaseballcafe that I visit with some. Good analysis for the most part.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    I'll keep that in mind kab, I think that's more or less what I was going for. There is going to be an exodus at this pace, be nice to keep hearing at least some of the baseball insights of this crew somewhere.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    This is mostly for Dave, but others might find it curious. The new owner of BMH has traded Tim Lincecum for a 1st round pick and Carl Crawford. So basically BMH traded a 1st round pick, Michael Pineada, and Alex Avila for Carl Crawford and likely less high 1st round draft pick. Ugh. Poor guy. w

Ha! What an idiot. That makes zero sense whatsoever in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    This is mostly for Dave, but others might find it curious. The new owner of BMH has traded Tim Lincecum for a 1st round pick and Carl Crawford. So basically BMH traded a 1st round pick, Michael Pineada, and Alex Avila for Carl Crawford and likely less high 1st round draft pick. Ugh. Poor guy. w
    im pretty low on lincecum so i don't think it's terrible in a vacuum. i think crawford is more likely to regain value than lincecum, actually. whether or not he couldve gotten a better package is another story.

Senior Member All-Star
    I find it humorous how he is trading away all of Dave's Twins that he stockpiled over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    i find it humorous how he is trading away all of dave's twins that he stockpiled over the years.
    noooooooo!!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Jose Fernandez you are mine.

Sale, Harvey and Fernandez.

Now I can compete with Billy buck and Mike R.

Chris Davis is a monster for me so far; glad I held onto him through those first few years of suck...

Chris Davis is a monster for me so far; glad I held onto him through those first few years of suck...
    your boy chris davis become the first MLB player to get to 1 WAR. really having a nice year, i've always liked CD for some reason...

any thoughts on my Chacin for Nathan, Dominguez trade? i feel like i got the steal of the century here. (not super high on chacin but man, nathan is 40!)

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    your boy chris davis become the first MLB player to get to 1 WAR. really having a nice year, i've always liked CD for some reason...

any thoughts on my Chacin for Nathan, Dominguez trade? i feel like i got the steal of the century here. (not super high on chacin but man, nathan is 40!)
    You definitely got a steal. Plenty of people still have unreasonable fear of Rockies pitching.

You definitely got a steal. Plenty of people still have unreasonable fear of Rockies pitching.
    thanks.

i got my closer back today. traded Shane Watson and 1st round MiLB pick to Fujimo for Street and his 2nd round MiLB pick.

so in the end I gave up:

Nathan, Matt Dominguez, Shane Watson and 1st round MiLB pick

for

Chacin, Street and 2nd round MiLB pick.

really happy with this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Nathan might be 40 but he will rack up some points in fantasy this season.

Chacin isn't very interesting. He doesn't strike many batters out and walks quite a few.

The Street trade is a pretty good one although if you end up missing the playoffs that could be become a valuable pick. Like Wacha or Puig (our two picks this year).

I will be honest I hate closers in this league. I'm just glad that I was able to trade Austin frickin Hedges for Perkins. At least I have one. Picking up Shawn Camp and starting him led to me losing to Billy Buck this week. If he closes out that ballgame I might have gone 4-0.

Nathan might be 40 but he will rack up some points in fantasy this season.

Chacin isn't very interesting. He doesn't strike many batters out and walks quite a few.

The Street trade is a pretty good one although if you end up missing the playoffs that could be become a valuable pick. Like Wacha or Puig (our two picks this year).

I will be honest I hate closers in this league. I'm just glad that I was able to trade Austin frickin Hedges for Perkins. At least I have one. Picking up Shawn Camp and starting him led to me losing to Billy Buck this week. If he closes out that ballgame I might have gone 4-0.
    street is scaring me now. doesn't look dominant at all (although nathan hasn't either despite some solid results).

my team is cruising but youkilis is a big concern. also kinda regretting the upton trade a bit but i really needed some young SP and Latos is quietly having a solid season.

buchholz has been an amazing surprise.

Made a huge blockbuster trade today... I probably overpaid but whatever, I picked up the best player in the deal which is always important.

Team Name gets:

Madison Bumgarner
    Aramis Ramirez

Hoyas gets:

Clay Buchholz
    Mike Wacha
    Victor Sanchez
    Clint Coulter
    Fujimo's 2nd Round MiLB pick

I was really trying to unload Buchholz before he regresses. I LOVE Wacha but Madison is 23 and a lock superstar for years to come. I like the other prospects too but I'm not gonna let them get in the way.

Senior Member All-Star
    You didn't overpay because Buchholz isn't that good. he might be getting K's but he's not getting swinging strikes. Usually those are needed to get K's. You locked in a stud and an underrated older productive player. It's kind of ridiculous how little value people put on guys like ARam. It sucks to lose Wacha but he is still just a prospect.

This is the type of move that I love to do.

You didn't overpay because Buchholz isn't that good. he might be getting K's but he's not getting swinging strikes. Usually those are needed to get K's. You locked in a stud and an underrated older productive player. It's kind of ridiculous how little value people put on guys like ARam. It sucks to lose Wacha but he is still just a prospect.

This is the type of move that I love to do.
    Thanks. Yeah, I agree re Buchholz, I expect a big regression in the next couple of months and while he's a decent SP, he's definitely no Bumgarner (while being 4-5 years older).

I think young SP is basically a necessity to compete in this league and I now I can relax a bit with Latos / Bumgarner (and to a lesser extent, Chacin) for the next few years, supplementing solid older guys like CC, Dempster, Nolasco.

Breaking it down as Clay + Wacha for Bumgarner and Couler + Sanchez + Pick for A-Ram makes me feel much better about it.

Gonna have to address my lack of long-term solution @ C and 3B though.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast