Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep fantasy baseball league

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Way to turn uncertain quantity/quality into certain quality.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    I'm trying to corner the market on 2B/SS/3B. I traded Craig/Haren for Frazier and Mason Williams.

That gives me:
    2B
    RWeeks
    Dozier (SS)

SS
    Scutaro (2B/3B)
    Tejada
    YEscobar

3B
    Sandoval
    Frazier (1B)
    Plouffe (OF)

I also have Schoop and Carlos Sanchez possibly coming up this year and Rosario in a year or two.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I do the same (depth up the middle) in my deep dynasty leagues. The longest-standing league I have has this depth at C/2B/SS:

C - Mauer, Ruiz, Grandal
    2B/SS - Pedroia, Zack Cozart, Marwin Gonzalez, Andrelton Simmons, Marco Scutaro, Alen Hanson

I'm in 3 40-man roster, 16-team dynasty leagues, and my other two leagues are similar:

Team I took over this year:
    C - Mauer, Lucroy, Grandal, Zunino (only have Grandal left from my original roster I inherited)
    2B/SS - Pedroia, Hanley, Pete Kozma, Xander Bogaerts, Brad Miller

Team drafted this season:
    C - Mauer (7th round pick in that league!), Wilson Ramos, Evan Gattis, Austin Hedges
    2B/SS - Emilio Bonifacio, Jemile Weeks, Brian Dozier, Erick Aybar, Stephen Drew, Trevor Story
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

While my big offseason deal was BJ Upton for B Phillips (and parts, a prospect my way), I've been waiver-wiring middle infield depth and even trading what might be assets. (Anyone want to over pay for Crawford?). But I've been stubborn with 'tool' and 'pedigree' players that are late to develop, those tend to be outfielders, and starting pitchers. I've got a perpetual DL list/roster of former top notch prospects.

Fantasy baseball is tricky business. I'm happy I'm humbled and empowered by the experience.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm trying to corner the market on 2B/SS/3B.
    Yes, you are. I keep targeting middle infield depth, and I keep finding them on your roster. And lately I haven't felt we matched up well. Just quit it. Focus on something else.

And just screw jim pratt for getting Tavares and Wheeler for Stanton. Jesus.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Yes, you are. I keep targeting middle infield depth, and I keep finding them on your roster. And lately I haven't felt we matched up well. Just quit it. Focus on something else.
    I wish I had actual good MI'ers but it's basically impossible to trade any of these guys for anything of value. I can only hope that I match up against teams that don't have starters because I have so many of them. I wish I didn't have so many of them but they are too valuable to cut.

My trio of 3Bman could turn into coveted group since I like Plouffe and Frazier quite a bit. Low average but 25 HR guys.

I wish I had actual good MI'ers but it's basically impossible to trade any of these guys for anything of value. I can only hope that I match up against teams that don't have starters because I have so many of them. I wish I didn't have so many of them but they are too valuable to cut.

My trio of 3Bman could turn into coveted group since I like Plouffe and Frazier quite a bit. Low average but 25 HR guys.
    2B and SS have quietly become deeper positions. 3B is a freaking wasteland, though. You can probably get a nice haul for Sandoval.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    2B and SS have quietly become deeper positions. 3B is a freaking wasteland, though. You can probably get a nice haul for Sandoval.
    I'm not trading borderline elite players.

I think you are completely wrong about SS unless you are talking about 12 team leagues. There are only 20 SS's that have an OPS above .600 (50+ AB's). OPS is a little unfair to use but <.600 sucks. And in that 20 there are a lot of completely crappy fantasy players. Same story at 2B.

kab, my offer wasn't meant to be serious, so much as that I'm interested in Buerhle or Haren, but I'm unwilling to give up much of value. If you want to stash them on your bench all season, so be it, but make me an offer and maybe we can work something out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Pitching depth is still nice to have and I have already traded Haren.

Senior Member All-Star
    And just screw jim pratt for getting Tavares and Wheeler for Stanton. Jesus.
    I disagree with this. Stanton is a damn stud that should be unobtainable in a dynasty. He got 2 great prospects but great prospects become avg players all the time. I don't know why but I get bothered when playoff teams do a significant rebuild. it's good for me but it throws the player values out of whack. Veterans suddenly become worthless because everybody is a seller.

While my big offseason deal was BJ Upton for B Phillips (and parts, a prospect my way), I've been waiver-wiring middle infield depth and even trading what might be assets. (Anyone want to over pay for Crawford?). But I've been stubborn with 'tool' and 'pedigree' players that are late to develop, those tend to be outfielders, and starting pitchers. I've got a perpetual DL list/roster of former top notch prospects.

Fantasy baseball is tricky business. I'm happy I'm humbled and empowered by the experience.
    is this your first time playing fantasy bball?

yeah I agree with this. i think young superstars tend to be undervalued here. only time it makes sense to trade one of them is if you can get a slightly more productive veteran (kinda like when you and i swapped holiday for justin upton). swapping stanton for minors players just doesnt make sense unless its something completely insane like profar + bundy + myers or whatever.

Senior Member All-Star
    yeah I agree with this. i think young superstars tend to be undervalued here. only time it makes sense to trade one of them is if you can get a slightly more productive veteran (kinda like when you and i swapped holiday for justin upton). swapping stanton for minors players just doesnt make sense unless its something completely insane like profar + bundy + myers or whatever.
    I just don't get why anybody would rebuild a top 5 (probably the top team). Our teams have been hanging on with non-sexy productive old guys. This league is all about pitching studs but depth seems to be overlooked. Being 7-8 deep at SP and getting extra 2 start weeks is a big equalizer. In addition I like having a 4-5 bench hitters to take advantage of off days or platoon splits helps out.
    Last edited by kab21; 05-07-2013 at 11:29 AM.

I just don't get why anybody would rebuild a top 5 (probably the top team). Our teams have been hanging on with non-sexy productive old guys. This league is all about pitching studs but depth seems to be overlooked. Being 7-8 deep at SP and getting extra 2 start weeks is a big equalizer. In addition I like having a 4-5 bench hitters to take advantage of off days or platoon splits helps out.
    I'll be ecstatic if 86ers throws in the towel. There aren't too many scary teams this year.

--DEM and Williemoes each have a great rotation but not a championship offense.

--Radiation is totally stacked but is currently decimated by injuries; hopefully the loses keep piling on and he falls behind before his studs can get healthy? Maybe wishful thinking.

--25 Alive has a nice team but is loaded with guys who are overperforming. I think he'll regress soon enough.

I think you and I are probably the favorites at this point (although it seems like this has been the case before and we both get unlucky at the wrong times).
    --

I'll be ecstatic if 86ers throws in the towel. There aren't too many scary teams this year.

--DEM and Williemoes each have a great rotation but not a championship offense.

--Radiation is totally stacked but is currently decimated by injuries; hopefully the loses keep piling on and he falls behind before his studs can get healthy? Maybe wishful thinking.

--25 Alive has a nice team but is loaded with guys who are overperforming. I think he'll regress soon enough.

I think you and I are probably the favorites at this point (although it seems like this has been the case before and we both get unlucky at the wrong times).
    --
    yeah radiation isn't going anywhere. looks like DEM is done for, though.

i like your matt barnes trade, kab.

pseudo, you sniped me on Lyons.

Senior Member All-Star
    I will happily take a top 50 prospect for my 20th keeper. It was such a difficult choice between Wood Arrieta, Bass and Magic Santana (traded). But it's just a part of my wheeling and dealing though. Barnes will probably be traded this offseason but Wood's value is probably tanking at some point.

It seems that I understand fantasy baseball less every year. Or else it becomes less predictable. I honestly find it difficult to look at the teams in this league and project greatness from any of them. My team is good but it's not a top team for example. I also have no idea how Tim's team even has a winning record.

I need the pitching depth jesus christ. I knew this was another year of rebuilding but injuries have decimated even my romantic notions of competing. Really wish I would have taken your overtures for Floyd more seriously, but I was lacking SP depth as is.

Boy did I blow it on the choice between Smoak and Rizzo a couple years ago, ugh.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.

I will happily take a top 50 prospect for my 20th keeper. It was such a difficult choice between Wood Arrieta, Bass and Magic Santana (traded). But it's just a part of my wheeling and dealing though. Barnes will probably be traded this offseason but Wood's value is probably tanking at some point.

It seems that I understand fantasy baseball less every year. Or else it becomes less predictable. I honestly find it difficult to look at the teams in this league and project greatness from any of them. My team is good but it's not a top team for example. I also have no idea how Tim's team even has a winning record.
    well, a lot of the "stronger" teams benefit from the bad teams (correctly) deciding to full-on tank. some teams are REALLY bad. like, don't even field a full team bad.

coming into the year i thought that Radiation, DEM and 86ers would dominate but that obviously hasn't been the case. I think your're underestimating your team though Kab. it's really hard to be bad when your 5th best starter is matt garza. he's a #2/3 on most teams. and having one of the best players in the world in votto doesn't hurt either.

pseudo's team is going to be solid if pineda and bauer pan out. then you can start flipping prospects and your moderate-upside semi-busts (snider, tabata, ramos, maybin) to the really bad teams for older veterans to fill holes. the fact that you have a decent 2B and SS puts you in a better position than most teams. you're really just screwed at 1B and 3B (but everyone is screwed at 3B except kab)

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast