Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 307

Thread: Deep fantasy baseball league

  1. #201
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,765
    Like
    141
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I thought it was time to throw a little gasoline onto the CoC fire.
    I agree. And this goes back to the **** Steve G pulled in the offseason because he didn't get his way on whatever issue it was. The league needs to drop the assumption that owners are acting in good faith and create rules and structures to insure that.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I agree. And this goes back to the **** Steve G pulled in the offseason because he didn't get his way on whatever issue it was. The league needs to drop the assumption that owners are acting in good faith and create rules and structures to insure that.
    the funny thing is that cain ended up sucking, so steve is probably loving it.

    on the other end of the spectrum, i'm becoming really frustrated with people who SHOULD be rebuilding but aren't. i understand i might not be the easiest person to trade with but i just don't understand how these .500 teams are totally OK with hanging onto their 38 year old veterans.

    also something that i'm somewhat pissed about that went on behind the scenes: i facilitated a big three-team trade and then got cut out at the last second without me knowing. business is business and all but i thought that was in bad form lol

  3. #203
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,765
    Like
    141
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    also something that i'm somewhat pissed about that went on behind the scenes: i facilitated a big three-team trade and then got cut out at the last second without me knowing. business is business and all but i thought that was in bad form lol
    That would have driven me up the wall. Bad form indeed.

  4. #204
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    it is funny that Cain ended up sucking but Gausman was the trade that was obviously a message. I don't care if you are trading for Zach and Drake Britton you don't trade the 1st overall pick in the minors draft. He's just being a bitch and now he's lying. He's a pile of ****.

  5. #205
    bump for playoffs

    kirk and billybuck seems to be only close matchup remaining

  6. #206
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Looks like I'm a goner and ironically the deciding factor was my Jose Fernandez - CarGo trade. Jose will probably be shut down at some point but he's been awesome and CarGo is hurt.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Looks like I'm a goner and ironically the deciding factor was my Jose Fernandez - CarGo trade. Jose will probably be shut down at some point but he's been awesome and CarGo is hurt.
    50pt difference and 2 SPs each, you're a dog but it wouldn't be shocking if you won.

    to be honest i'd much rather face billybuck than your squad. looks like you just run unlucky into big weeks by the likes of schierholtz, parra, and somehow the marlins scrounging up enough run support for two fernandez wins.

  8. #208
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Bring it home for BYTO. Billy Buck's team is solid but very beatable. My team had a cold week and my bench was awesome so I missed out on a lot of points.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Bring it home for BYTO. Billy Buck's team is solid but very beatable. My team had a cold week and my bench was awesome so I missed out on a lot of points.
    ugh, of course i have to play "team two-start" this round.

  10. #210
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,765
    Like
    141
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Yeah, good luck, Mike. It would have been nice to see an all BYTO championship series, but oh well.

  11. #211
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Ugh just kill me now. Matt Harvey of New York Mets has partial tear in elbow - ESPN New York

    Somehow I still have a decent rotation without Harvey. I think most teams would be happy with Sale/Holland/Garza/Lackey/Buehrle/Estrada.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Yeah, good luck, Mike. It would have been nice to see an all BYTO championship series, but oh well.
    thought i was dead in the water but my team had a huge second week to pull out the win(even with leaving a billion points on my bench).

    hopefully can pull out the win vs nick. we were super close to a monster deal -

    cano, andrus, aramis ramirez, sabathia for kipnis, hanley, alvarez, nova but couldnt agree on the side-filler before the deadline. if we had another hour it probably wouldve gone through.

    will be interesting to see how the matchup shakes out in light of that

  13. #213
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,765
    Like
    141
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    I didn't think you were gonna pull it out.

    I can see why you'd do that deal, get nearly the same production but simply younger. Though it might pay off for you this year. What is your loot gonna be?

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I didn't think you were gonna pull it out.

    I can see why you'd do that deal, get nearly the same production but simply younger. Though it might pay off for you this year. What is your loot gonna be?
    yeah "even" trades where i get younger have been a successful strategy for me in this league. traded utley for cano, traded holliday for upton, traded tulowitzki for andrus, etc.

    problem now is that a lot of the young talent is concentrated on a small number of well-managed teams (tangerine, billy buck) and i don't think they will be easy to pry away. i'd love to move fielder this offseason.

    i forget what the winner's purse is but at this it's more about winning than the money. before you were in the league i had the championship game won and then on sunday night baseball mariano blew a save which put me back behind shining. basically if mo didn't come in i would've won. i've had lots of bad luck in fantasy but that took the cake.

    i'm fortunate to be in a position to win this year because i'm pretty sure that radiation, shemshank and kirk's team were all superior squads.

  15. #215
    fyi, below is the email i sent to tim for offseason topics

    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    i think a good topic for off-season discussion could be the scoring system. i've always been ultra-opposed to changing anything about the scoring system since owners have adjusted their teams to reflect the current system, but i think the emphasis on, for example, pitcher wins and losses is possibly too big and really doesn't add much except for frustration and variance. i'm sure the owners of guys like harvey, fernandez and sale would agree. i'm also not a fan of giving extra points for cycles and grand slams.

    we're all (presumably) big baseball fans and understand that counting stats have become outdated and don't accurately reflect players' true values, so it does seem a bit silly to play under an outdated scoring system.


    no idea what the alternatives would be but i've heard good things about the fangraphs otteneau system (copied below, for reference). a big overhaul probably isn't a great idea, but thought it would be some good food for thought/generate discussion.






    otteneau:
    Hitting
    AB -1.0
    H 5.6
    2B 2.9
    3B 5.7
    HR 9.4
    BB 3.0
    HBP 3.0
    SB 1.9
    CS -2.8
    Pitching
    IP 7.4
    K 2.0
    H -2.6
    BB -3.0
    HBP -3.0
    HR -12.3
    SV 5.0
    HOLDS 4.0



  16. #216
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I thought you were a goner also but his team kind of collapsed the 2nd week after an amazing 1st week. You were strong both weeks. Maybe next year for me...

    If Super Hanley is back for good that isn't a bad trade. We will see if any of my superstar prospect trades come back to haunt me.

    I'm not sure if I care enough about the scoring to have an opinion or even care. I have one proposal for completely overhauling the MLB cuts and draft. Basically the best teams (the playoff teams) have to make more players eligible for the draft and they have to include prospects. I have some good MLB role players that are going to get cut (or traded) this year but David Dejesus and Marco Scutaro won't help a rebuilding team. The worst teams would get more picks because that's the whole reason for doing this in the first place. At some point I will type it up (maybe - life is crazy right now).

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I thought you were a goner also but his team kind of collapsed the 2nd week after an amazing 1st week. You were strong both weeks. Maybe next year for me...

    If Super Hanley is back for good that isn't a bad trade. We will see if any of my superstar prospect trades come back to haunt me.

    I'm not sure if I care enough about the scoring to have an opinion or even care. I have one proposal for completely overhauling the MLB cuts and draft. Basically the best teams (the playoff teams) have to make more players eligible for the draft and they have to include prospects. I have some good MLB role players that are going to get cut (or traded) this year but David Dejesus and Marco Scutaro won't help a rebuilding team. The worst teams would get more picks because that's the whole reason for doing this in the first place. At some point I will type it up (maybe - life is crazy right now).
    as a general matter i disagree with the idea that the MLB draft isn't helpful to the bottom-feeders (not necessarily your argument but i've seen it brought up in the past by fujimo and others).

    i've personally dropped some solid players for that draft. they come in all forms - aging veterans and high-upside underachievers. the problem is that a lot of the bottom-feeders completely mismanage their teams and (a) don't load up on high-upside talent and (b) pick up aging veterans and don't trade them.

    for example, the year i dropped jeff samardzdja - he should've been a prime target for the bottom teams. instead, they take guys like Jon Garland or Jeff Francis, and to make matters worse, they refuse to trade them! I tried to get David Ortiz and Mariano Rivera off williemoes 100x this season and he refused. it's hard to feel sympathetic for teams like that.

    anyway, you guys should root for me because if i win i'll probably pull a billybuck and prematurely start rebuilding. i feel like a lot of my older guys are teetering on the edge of the productivity cliff within the next 2-3 years. would probably move everyone except for like bumgarner.

  18. #218
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,083
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    not much of a slugfest so far but it's close going into the final 3 days.

  19. #219
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,765
    Like
    141
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    That extra start from Dem's pitching will play a role. I guess over a two week period, which pitchers pitch the most is somewhat mitigated. But Dem's got some descent options going. Nova/Hamels/Price/Peralta sound a bit better than Chacin/Nolasco/Petite unfortunately. Though I think Mike has the better offense. We'll see.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    That extra start from Dem's pitching will play a role. I guess over a two week period, which pitchers pitch the most is somewhat mitigated. But Dem's got some descent options going. Nova/Hamels/Price/Peralta sound a bit better than Chacin/Nolasco/Petite unfortunately. Though I think Mike has the better offense. We'll see.
    if i lose i hope it's by more than 10 since i forgot to start Jansen when he got a saved the other night!

    i'm probably the underdog right now. my pitching matchups were less than ideal. he's got some studs going up against bad teams/pitchers. but who knows.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.