Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Favorite Teams to Follow

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Question Other Favorite Teams to Follow

Even though this is a forum for Twins fans, there are some fun teams to follow across the baseball world.

What are some of the other teams that you enjoy following? Why?

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    For the National League, I like to follow a couple of teams:

1. Nationals: Some good young players (Harper, Strasburg, Ramos). I basically follow them because I am a big fan of Wilson Ramos and I want to see what he can do with his career after the Twins got rid of him.

2. Cardinals: I went to St. Louis in the year after McGwire broke the home run record. The city lives for each Cardinals game and that atmosphere sucks a fan in. It's another Midwest team with a long tradition of excellence so that makes it easy to follow them.

American League:

1. Seattle: Again I like their core of young players like Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero. I think this goes back to the days of Griffey and at that time the Twins weren't very good.

I root for the Orioles, unless they're playing the Twins. They have some good young guys, JJ.. Hardy, a devoted fan base (although their stadium is pretty empty when I have been there), and despite the fact that they have been in the AL East cellar for many, many consecutive years, they have been showing signs of life the past couple seasons.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 785 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to follow the Angels and Padres (lived in SD for 8 years, LA for 9) but the longer I've been away, the less I care about them... I always enjoyed following a second team. I should probably pick one and start watching replays of their games during the day.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boston Red Sox - I lived in Boston for a few years when I was younger and loved to go to Fenway Park. One of my fondest memories of my college years (those parts I can remember) was going to a doubleheader at Fenway - Red Sox & Twins (this was back when they actually played two games back-to-back, not day-night). The Twins won both.

I moved from Minneapolis to Austin last year, so I have adopted the Astros as my second team and have been to a couple games decked out in Astros gear. Can't wait till next year when they are in the AL and the Twins will come to town annually.

I also can, on occasion, cheer for the Blue Jays since my wife went to college in Toronto and we've visited several times. This year I also find myself secretly rooting for the Mets, with the great Dickey story.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I live in Wisconsin so I follow and see Brewers games. When I was a kid I liked the Reds during the Big Red Machine era, Pete Rose was one of my 2 favorite players of the time. I also like the Red Sox until they became the Evil empire light. My oldest son likes the Rays and Phillies, but hated that the dropped the Devil Rays. So I will watch some of their games with him. For me I have no real emotional attachment to any other team then the Twins everything else is kind of just on the edges.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    None.

I'll watch other games, but no other teams intrigue me enough to follow them on a regular basis.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Ever since I move to Pittsburgh I've followed the Pirates, but not closely. By doing so, I have learned more about the NL and can safely follow one AL and one NL team without them running into each other much, save last week, but it was easy to route for the Twins then, the only team I call myself a fan of; also, the Buc and Twins share the same narratives often, from the front office down to the players. In case any of us or the Twins GMs need a memo, they've shown that all you need to be competitive is top tier/better-than-average starting pitching.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

I live in Maryland--so I used to follow Orioles (until Angelos). Now I do follow Nats--primarily because of Harper--the best rookie I have seen in years--he is worth the price of admisson. My son and I went to see Os/Nats in Baltimore yesterday--in spite of previous comment, park was full--and Harper provided all the excitement--stolen base--single stretched into double--great defensive play--till Weiters HR.

I grew up in Maryland - live in Arlington Tx currently - so I follow and root for the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles even though the Twins are my favorite team. Just went up earlier this month and went to a Nationals game with my dad - Nice ballpark and they have really good pitching and some exciting young players.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am a big fan of Washington. I have liked them since they moved to d.c. I also have a soft spot for Baltimore and Pittsburgh

The Tampa Bay Rays. They build their team mostly through their farm system, i.e. their entire starting rotation is home-grown and are very good. They junked their bullpen last year and rebuilt--and were excellent. They are winners with a lower tier payroll. They have the best manager in baseball. They play great defense and are excellent base runners. They can consistently beat the Yankees and the Red Sox. Beating the Yankees on the last day of the season last year after being down 7-0 was awesome. I started being a fan of theirs before they were good. I've got a Devils Ray hat that I wear more than my Twins cap. When I encounter people wearing Yankees caps I growl "G-r-r-r-r" and point at the D-Rays logo on my cap. It always gets a reaction.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

been a white sox fan since 1958
    usually become a twinks fan in september.....

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pittsburgh Pirates. I love the traditional yellow and black colors and the history behind that franchise. The Diamondbacks are okay too now that they have Jason Kubel. It was pretty awesome when they won the 2001 WS. I don't follow these teams or cheer for them much, but I'd like to see them both do well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    I'm primarily a Braves fan, but I live in the Twins area and have most of my life, so I know the Twins quite well.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Orioles - great fan base, great team history, great ballpark and I'm moving to Baltimore so all the more reason to like them. Plus Cal Ripken Jr was one of my favorite players growing up.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot help getting the news and scores of my local team (the Phillies) on the TV, but I don't really "follow" them. Takes enough time to really follow the Twins and their affiliates, so there is not enough time (or desire) to follow anyone else.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Mets, Nationals and Mariners.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Padres and Astros... I like the colors, stadiums and underdog status.

Nationals... My family sat in RF for a Nats/Giants game in SF. During batting practice the Giants players didn't throw a single ball into the stands. The Nats hit last and threw both of my sons a ball right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast