Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 213 of 213

Thread: Article: White Sox vs. Twins, 06/25/2012, 7:10pm

  1. #201
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,592
    Like
    831
    Liked 817 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm not sure that Ben wasn't 5 for 5 tonight. Looked safe to me. Close but safe.
    I replayed it a few times, the ball was definitely in the air as Revere crossed the bag. The ump was a little biased toward raising the right arm a couple times time tonight. The play from Morneau to Carroll looked like that runner was safe, too.

  2. #202
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,907
    Like
    75
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Can someone explain to me why the hell Butera was allowed to hit with the freaking bases loaded and Liriano already out of the game?!?!?!

    It's one thing to give Butera (who literally might be the worst hitter in the history of baseball with 500+ PA) starts for some absurd reason like "He is the Latin Pitcher Whisperer," but to keep him in a 3 run game with the bases loaded...ugh...there is no excuse for that.

    I'm happy the Twins won and all, but these are the decisions that will eventually burn them in the future, and if the Twins have any chance to get back into the race the margin for error lies somewhere between slim and none.

  3. #203
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,033
    Like
    4,373
    Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the hell Butera was allowed to hit with the freaking bases loaded and Liriano already out of the game?!?!?!

    It's one thing to give Butera (who literally might be the worst hitter in the history of baseball with 500+ PA) starts for some absurd reason like "He is the Latin Pitcher Whisperer," but to keep him in a 3 run game with the bases loaded...ugh...there is no excuse for that.

    I'm happy the Twins won and all, but these are the decisions that will eventually burn them in the future, and if the Twins have any chance to get back into the race the margin for error lies somewhere between slim and none.
    Rumor has it that Doumit may have some minor injury. Or this might be a psychological warfare strategy to send a message to the White Sox that they are not good enough for the Twins to use a catcher who has a good bat.

  4. #204
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,592
    Like
    831
    Liked 817 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the hell Butera was allowed to hit with the freaking bases loaded and Liriano already out of the game?!?!?!

    It's one thing to give Butera (who literally might be the worst hitter in the history of baseball with 500+ PA) starts for some absurd reason like "He is the Latin Pitcher Whisperer," but to keep him in a 3 run game with the bases loaded...ugh...there is no excuse for that.

    I'm happy the Twins won and all, but these are the decisions that will eventually burn them in the future, and if the Twins have any chance to get back into the race the margin for error lies somewhere between slim and none.
    Listened to the press conference. I can count a half-dozen questions asked on this thread that should have been asked of Gardy, queston #1 is why Doumit didn't play, or at the very least, pinch hit in that situation. That was Managing 101 unless Doumit has an injury.

  5. #205
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,592
    Like
    831
    Liked 817 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Someone commented earlier on Plouffe's markedly changed approach at the plate lately, looking like a RH Joe Mauer going almost exclusively to the opposite field. It appears he is suffering from information overload- 1) he "knows" they are pitching him away, 2) they "know" that he knows it, 3) inject the Vavra-esque advice regimen for becoming a GB/singles hitter, and Voila!, you have the "new and dis-improved Plouffe", higher OBP, GB and OPP field rates, markedly lower SLG . 4) In the meanwhile, that defensive plate approach has him swinging and missing badly at pitches that he was routinely parking in the seats just 10 days ago.

    I think it's time for yet another Parker-Slomo-Swing-Intervention Clinic.

  6. #206
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,050
    Like
    1,772
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    It's one thing to give Butera (who literally might be the worst hitter in the history of baseball with 500+ PA)
    He literally isn't too far off. The joys of BaseballReference....

    Since 1901, position players with more than 450 career plate appearances, Drew is tied for the 8th worst OPS+. And he's within spitting distance of sole possession of 3rd place.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  7. #207
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was at the game tonight. I was so happy to see a victory over the Whities and the end of a personal 8-game losing streak in Target Field visits, that I can't bring myself to get too worked up over Butera, the 883 blown chances to blow the doors off (OK, I'm exaggerating, but it seemed like that many as I was watching) or any of the other negatives raised, valid though they are.

    And it was fun to see Good Frankie. I hope he keeps showing up.

  8. #208
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,517
    Like
    3,542
    Liked 3,029 Times in 1,292 Posts
    It's plausible Butera was left in to hit, with a 3 run lead, because he's a much better defensive catcher. Sort of like lots of people used to go bananas when Delmon wasn't swapped out for a better defensive outfielder with a lead in the late innings. It's also possible Doumit isn't 100 percent. It's also possible Gardy and/or his bench coach just didn't think of it, or they thought of it and said "nah...I gotta hunch here."

    Hard to say.

    I was sort of punching the radio at the time, though.

    Let's get another tomorrow.

  9. #209
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,592
    Like
    831
    Liked 817 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I was at the game tonight. I was so happy to see a victory over the Whities and the end of a personal 8-game losing streak in Target Field visits, that I can't bring myself to get too worked up over Butera, the 883 blown chances to blow the doors off (OK, I'm exaggerating, but it seemed like that many as I was watching) or any of the other negatives raised, valid though they are.

    And it was fun to see Good Frankie. I hope he keeps showing up.
    I had confidence that you would do it. It looked more like Frankie the pitcher vs. Frankie the thrower...maybe there is something to this Butera Caddy thing after all...nah! Now, to win the series, Morneau has to follow through and get out of his funk against Floyd tomorrow. I'm thinking the team that reaches 9 runs first wins it, certainly more easily accomplished with Butera locked back up for another week in the bullpen. The Twins own Floyd (current Twins are batting .369/.420/.580/.1000), even Morneau, and Hendriks will need all the help he can get. They have to win tomorrow to get the series, because it seems likely that Blackie's recent luck runs out on Thursday against Sale.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    this might be a psychological warfare strategy to send a message to the White Sox that they are not good enough for the Twins to use a catcher who has a good bat.
    I like this explanation. =)

  11. #211
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Page loading speed, you mean?
    Sure. Let's go with that.

  12. #212
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,907
    Like
    75
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    He literally isn't too far off. The joys of BaseballReference....

    Since 1901, position players with more than 450 career plate appearances, Drew is tied for the 8th worst OPS+. And he's within spitting distance of sole possession of 3rd place.
    Part of me hopes he ends up with enough professional At bats though to be included in the Baseball Reference voting system, which currently has Juan Castro as dead last of 1200 career hitters or so.

  13. #213
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,050
    Like
    1,772
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Part of me hopes he ends up with enough professional At bats though to be included in the Baseball Reference voting system, which currently has Juan Castro as dead last of 1200 career hitters or so.
    A very large part of me hopes that those plate appearances come in a different uniform.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.