Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: White Sox vs. Twins, 06/26/2012, 7:10pm

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Actually, they were. They were interviewing the president of SABR, hence the discussion, and they had an extended discussion on QS & WHIP. Granted, die-hard statisticians have long since moved passed those stats, but for many casual fans it's new information.
    I'm sure it wasn't his idea to bring up those statistical categories. Come on. Again, you don't bring in a nuclear physicist to explain how force is derived from mass and acceleration...

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Actually, they were. They were interviewing the president of SABR, hence the discussion, and they had an extended discussion on QS & WHIP. Granted, die-hard statisticians have long since moved passed those stats, but for many casual fans it's new information.
    I cannot believe even the most casual of fans hasn't at least heard of "quality start." Bert spent a few minutes on it LAST NIGHT, and it gets brought up on Twins broadcasts quite often.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    You're not interpretting my comment correctly. It's not the fact that they were convering SABR stuff - its that QS ans WHIP were being discussed. I'm fine with them trying to introduce SABR stuff to the general public.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    This game is much less entertaining than last night.
    So is the discussion.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Dude. Splitting hairs a bit. When compared to true SABR stats.. WHIP compared to ERA+ or isolated slugging, etc? come on.
    True, not really trying to argue, just mentioning that I've heard a fair amount of SABR people casually reference WHIP over the years. To me, it's a lot like OPS. Good for a quick and dirty analysis but lacking in fine details needed to understand a player.

You're not interpretting my comment correctly. It's not the fact that they were convering SABR stuff - its that QS ans WHIP were being discussed. I'm fine with them trying to introduce SABR stuff to the general public.
    Oh brother, enough with the pretentious elitism fellas. General public, good lord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Oh brother, enough with the pretentious elitism fellas. General public, good lord.
    It's not pretentious elitism, it's wondering why someone is trying to explain evolution by reading quotes from The Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    True, not really trying to argue, just mentioning that I've heard a fair amount of SABR people casually reference WHIP over the years. To me, it's a lot like OPS. Good for a quick and dirty analysis but lacking in fine details needed to understand a player.
    Right. But as we know OPS isn't really statistically sound either. WHIP actually has more solid basis for measuring what intends and doesn't simply mush two percentages together.

Many of us just came from a Twins message board where we referred to ourselves as elitists, so get used to it. Moreover, there's nothing wrong with trying to uplift the discourse.

it's not pretentious elitism, it's wondering why someone is trying to explain evolution by reading quotes from the bible.
    ftw.

yeah not sure how I get labeled as acting elitist. People posting on message board during game = not general baseball public. Your average retired couple watching the twins on a Tuesday night in rural Minnesota = general baseball public. Idk, I just stating I don't see QS and WHIP as overly sabrmetric stats. I'm not being smug about it.
    Last edited by edavis0308; 06-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Meanwhile...it's Gavin F'ing Floyd, boys.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm glad we could all have this talk because this game is boooooooring.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 232 Posts
    This forum isn't the general public though, so....

pfffffffffffffffffft.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

I'm not being smug about it.
    Well, I am.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to take this moment to point out that the Twins are completely wasting a "quality start" from Liam Hendriks.

A shame. Those don't seem to come around often.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 232 Posts
    I'd like to take this moment to point out that the Twins are completely wasting a "quality start" from Liam Hendriks.
    Well played.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Has anyone been tracking Hendricks' first pitch strikes? He still seems to be throwing too few of them, though overall his ball/strike ratio is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
    Many of us just came from a Twins message board where we referred to ourselves as elitists, so get used to it. Moreover, there's nothing wrong with trying to uplift the discourse.
    How, it's not like anyone hasn't heard any of this a thousand times before, it's nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
    Well, I am.
    I loled hdixnsksb

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast