Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins sign International Prospect Amaurys Minier

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Fangraphs:
    “His soft hands, quick feet, [and] strong accurate arm give him every chance to stay at shortstop… He has the natural athletic ability to play any position on the field. Niko is still learning the art of shortstop and the mental grind of playing every day by not talking a bad at bat to the field or an error to the plate.” That same scout also summed up Goodrum at the plate: “He has a fluid, balanced, easy swing… not much wasted movement… The power will come as he physically grows into his frame… He needs 2,000 at-bats for memory work of reading spin and how pitchers work in certain situations. The learning curve is the stage he is in now.”
    God I hope so.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fetch View Post
    (also not to be that guy but it's gorilla unless there is some inside joke I am unaware of).
    About this:
    Not a joke, just a play in words... I was referring to a militant (guerrilla) and not to an ape (gorilla)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    About this:
    Not a joke, just a play in words... I was referring to a militant (guerrilla) and not to an ape (gorilla)
    haha gotcha. (i know what a guerrilla is, just didn't get the pun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    No, he was right. The Twins had a pretty good system established in Venezuela - Wilson Ramos was one of our big signings from there but so was Oswaldo Arcia. The politics in Venezuela made a lot of baseball teams move out, including the Twins.

Why have we not started more academies in other places that do not have such political turmoil? If a number of players are being signed out of the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Panama than why do we not have a large presence there?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    When was the pipeline to Venezuela?

The Twins have had Rivas & Mijares & Luis Rodriguez reach the major from Venezuela and that's really it.
    130 Juan Rincón P Minnesota Twins, AL June 7, 2001 Active
    123 Luis Rivas IF Minnesota Twins, AL September 16, 2000 September 20, 2008
    117 Johan Santana All-Star P Minnesota Twins, AL April 3, 2000 Active
    71 Juan Carlos Pulido P Minnesota Twins, AL April 9, 1994 April 24, 2004
    9 César Tovar IF Minnesota Twins, AL April 12, 1965 September 29, 1976
    48 Germán González P Minnesota Twins, AL August 5, 1988 September 25, 1989
    35 Álvaro Espinoza IF Minnesota Twins, AL September 14, 1984 July 12, 1997
    40 Lester Straker P Minnesota Twins, AL April 11, 1987 October 1, 1988
    58 Richard (El Guapo) Garcés P Minnesota Twins, AL September 18, 1990 July 20, 2002
    174 Luis Rodríguez SS Minnesota Twins, AL May 21, 2005 Active
    180 Alejandro Machado IF Minnesota Twins, AL September 3, 2005 October 2, 2005
    139 Carlos Silva P Minnesota Twins, AL April 1, 2002 September 7, 2010
    157 Alex Prieto 2B Minnesota Twins, AL July 26, 2003 June 24, 2004
    230 José Mijares P Minnesota Twins, AL September 13, 2008 Active
    249 Wilson Ramos C Minnesota Twins, AL May 2, 2010 Active

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlovren View Post
    Why have we not started more academies in other places that do not have such political turmoil? If a number of players are being signed out of the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Panama than why do we not have a large presence there?
    I don't know about Panama, but the Twins do have an academy in the DR. They have been increasing their presence there for a few years now. Puerto Rico is more difficult as those players enter the draft, and are more difficult to hold on to after you develop them, but I'm sure the Twins are there as well.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great name and I'm sure he'll become my favorite prospect in no time.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not to pick nits, but Santana was a rule V selection from I believe Houston... He may have come through Venezuela, but not via the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlovren View Post
    Puerto Rico is part of the draft and the Twins have been one of the more active teams in scouting PR - Angel Morales, Eddie Rosario, Daniel Ortiz, JO Berrios, Jorge Fernandez were all recent draft picks from PR.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fetch View Post
    Pretty much everything I've read/heard is that Goodrum is OF bound and Michael is a second baseman.
    Huh, that's different from what I've read about Goodrum... If he isn't going to be a SS it's certainly not because he's going to "outgrow" the position. He's very lanky (I don't see muscle/body-mass-projection that would move him off the position), and is definitely still learning the position, but he's got the arm, hands, and athleticism for it. In fact, he's my best hope for a future SS that I see in the organization. This ball left the yard in a big way at ST last year:

DSC01042.jpg
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Goodrum was drafted with raw tools (impressive ones) and nobody had any idea if he would develop into a solid fielder or a solid hitter. Early speculation was that the defense wouldn't really develop and the Twins could fall back on just letting him loose in CF. After 2 Appy league seasons there is more confidence but I'm guessing that in July fetch was still reading last season's scouting report. I like Polanco more overall but it was Goodrum that was the SS in ETown so that should say something about his skills since Polanco is a pretty good fielder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12