Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Newsroom

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,771
    Like
    143
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts

    The Newsroom

    I just caught the first episode of the Newsroom and was really impressed. Created by Aaron Sorkin and staring Jeff Daniels. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I just caught the first episode of the Newsroom and was really impressed. Created by Aaron Sorkin and staring Jeff Daniels. Thoughts?
    Sounds like liberals love it, I watched the first 10 minutes and figured thats as good as it will ever get, and it sounded like an Obama campaign speech.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,101
    Like
    99
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Critics lampooned it for the most part...can't say I've given it a shot. There is virtually nothing appealing about it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,771
    Like
    143
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Critics lampooned it for the most part...can't say I've given it a shot. There is virtually nothing appealing about it.
    It's better than so much other television, but the reviews listed at imdb aren't overtly critical. It's well-written and well-acted. It's Sorkin so it's certainly not for right wingers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,101
    Like
    99
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    It's better than so much other television, but the reviews listed at imdb aren't overtly critical. It's well-written and well-acted. It's Sorkin so it's certainly not for right wingers.
    Grantland and a few other places I read were pretty harsh. I guess for me I can't take Harry seriously without Lloyd.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    244
    Like
    12
    Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I guess for me I can't take Harry seriously without Lloyd.
    That's a shame, Jeff Daniels is a terrific actor.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    That's a shame, Jeff Daniels is a terrific actor.
    This. Dude was terrific in The Squid and the Whale.
    BYTO R.I.P.

  8. #8
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,517
    Like
    2,370
    Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have been enjoying this show. But I also enjoy Bill Maher and watch Fox only to try to understand how they are able to trick people into being the dupes for big business and billionaires.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    244
    Like
    12
    Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    This. Dude was terrific in The Squid and the Whale.
    Yup. Did you know Bill Murray was supposed to play that role, but backed out last minute?

  10. #10
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,734
    Like
    36
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    It's an up and down show. It gets super-preachy but overall, I'm enjoying it. The show is certainly not another West Wing in its greatness but it's still better than a lot of television out there.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,616
    Like
    37
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    This last episode was utter crap.

  12. #12
    Its the evolution of West Wing. The West Wing was the portrayal of the lefty's fantasy presidency and started to blur the line between real life and fiction, using very close to real life plot lines as the tool. The Newsroom has taken it up a level, a fake news room, fictionalizing real stories like the BP oil spill. The libs love it because the story is retold how they want to remember it, factually or not. It's a very dangerous premise knowing how uninformed the average viewer is. It can look like either news coverage or a documentary dues to its loose ties with reality. This guy said it best...

    The West Wing was Sorkin’s seductive fantasia about how America should be governed; the new series is his equally far-fetched reverie about how it should be covered. Both shows rely on the same basic building blocks: handsome idealists emitting reams of encyclopedic Sorkinese as they canter through glassy office spaces on an improbable quest to redeem the American experiment. But The West Wing did something The Newsroom doesn’t, at least not yet: it put its characters before its politics. The result? Both seemed more real than they had any right to be.
    From the Daily Beast http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...hbo-drama.html

    The politics are the most important part of the show, for shame.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,509
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Thoughts?
    I really want to see Beyonce naked. Do you think porn stars are nymphos that put out on the first date? I do. How come I didn't go to Rio while I was single? Guess it wouldn't really matter anyway... right ... right... right... The ... is supposed to be nudging with my elbow in case you didn't know it already. Did you know that the tip of a wind turbine blade spins at about 300 miles per hour? I like cheese.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,771
    Like
    143
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Thoughts?
    I really want to see Beyonce naked. Do you think porn stars are nymphos that put out on the first date? I do. How come I didn't go to Rio while I was single? Guess it wouldn't really matter anyway... right ... right... right... The ... is supposed to be nudging with my elbow in case you didn't know it already. Did you know that the tip of a wind turbine blade spins at about 300 miles per hour? I like cheese.
    Trolpo?!

  15. #15
    I think the first episode fo the Newsroom was really impressive. No doubt, whoever will see this episode, he will be impressed.
    100% accurate and Free NFL Picks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.