Thread: BAs Midseason Top 50 Rankings

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

BAs Midseason Top 50 Rankings

Sano at 22.

Worries remain about his defense and his feel for hit, but Sano has some of the minors best power potential.
    Benson's stock down.

Failed to win big league spot, sent to Double-A and now hurt; still swings and misses too much.
    Arcia mentioned as one who has improved.

Injuries slowed him down in 2011, now he's a much-needed cornerstone of Twins' future rebuilding.
    Rosario on all-disabled team.

Hit by line drive during BP recently, will miss significant time over second half of season.
    Draftees not included.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 07-05-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added quotes

thought Rosario was 5/6wks.....is that considered significant time?? as he was hurt June 12....that's 3 wks, or half over.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    kind of surprised that Arcia didn't make it.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    kind of surprised that Arcia didn't make it.
    Top 100, I am sure. Top 50 is pretty close. Also, the AA performance so far might not have been noticed before the list was made.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I"m sure Rosario would be pretty close to Top 50 if not for the injury. He should be Top 100 next spring, along with Sano, Buxton and Arcia.

Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure it will happen, but I don't know how it is that Buxton will be rated ahead of Arcia and/or Rosario...

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the rise of Arcia this season. Think Rosario could be higher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    From Sickels midseason revision (offseason)

Sano #12 (#31)
    Rosario #46 (90)
    Arcia #64 (91)
    Hicks HM

I would probably flipflop Arcia/Rosario and gibson is at a minimum an HM for me. Things are definitely looking up since there should be 4 top 50 guys in the system next year. And there could be several guys sneaking in the bottom of the top 100.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia's biggest issue has been hitting the breaking ball. This year, he got better at Fort Myers (2:1 K:BB from 5:1 in 2011.) Somewhat regressed in New Britain (3:1) but let's see how he adjusts the rest of the season. Still he is 21 years old (and Hicks 22, so don't write him off too soon also.) Another issue with Arcia is that he is not the smoothest defender out there. Not Parmelee-like at RF, but not that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Arcia's biggest issue has been hitting the breaking ball. This year, he got better at Fort Myers (2:1 K:BB from 5:1 in 2011.) Somewhat regressed in New Britain (3:1) but let's see how he adjusts the rest of the season. Still he is 21 years old (and Hicks 22, so don't write him off too soon also.) Another issue with Arcia is that he is not the smoothest defender out there. Not Parmelee-like at RF, but not that much better.
    Where did you hear this? I've heard that Arcia is a pretty good defender with a great arm, but just isn't quick enough to play center. He should be solid in the corner.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I've heard that Arcia is a pretty good defender with a great arm, but just isn't quick enough to play center. He should be solid in the corner.
    This is what I've heard as well. Again, I think the comps with Jason Kubel and Rene Tosoni are pretty good ones. No one is claiming he's a Gold Glover, but he's a decent outfielder with a good arm. He has played some CF in previous years, but not a lot, and really more out of necessity.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Where did you hear this? I've heard that Arcia is a pretty good defender with a great arm, but just isn't quick enough to play center. He should be solid in the corner.
    Arcia also would seemingly profile as more of a DH for the Twins as well, barring a trade, as a Benson-Revere-Hicks outfield in late 2013/2014 could be the best defensive outfield in all of baseball. Barring a trade of any of these four, you have to think Arcia would DH 4-5 times a week and play outfield 1-2 times a week.

That being said, given Mauer's need to spend half his games at first or DH, Morneau's need to DH occasionally, as well as Doumit and Willingham, it seems pretty clear that trades are coming, either with the big leaugers, or the kids.

Blog Entries
    Arcia was a centerfielder up until recently... He shoudl be a pretty decent option in the corner... not expecting Span or anything like that, but average or slightly better seems reasonable unless he's slowed down a lot....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    From Sickels midseason revision (offseason)

Sano #12 (#31)
    Rosario #46 (90)
    Arcia #64 (91)
    Hicks HM

I would probably flipflop Arcia/Rosario and gibson is at a minimum an HM for me. Things are definitely looking up since there should be 4 top 50 guys in the system next year. And there could be several guys sneaking in the bottom of the top 100.
    I couldn't find this on his site... do you have a link?