Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Appel not signing?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Well, Pirates didn't sign Appel. Generally, I think it's good news for the Twins since it'll add a little more depth to next years draft - presuming he doesn't get hurt, of course.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Well, Pirates didn't sign Appel. Generally, I think it's good news for the Twins since it'll add a little more depth to next years draft - presuming he doesn't get hurt, of course.
    Agreed, and it's also nice to see Boras crash and burn. And maybe the Twins can draft Appel next year, if they can continue to lose enough to have another high pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Agreed, and it's also nice to see Boras crash and burn. And maybe the Twins can draft Appel next year, if they can continue to lose enough to have another high pick.
    "Crash and burn" isn't determined yet. It doesn't look good but, as I mentioned before, he could go higher, get more money and still make millions in his free agent contract - he's pretty young. And, since he's a pitcher, it might make more sense to get as much money now as opposed to waiting for some big free agent date down the road.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why would the Twins draft him next year with another season of overwork in college if they passed on him this year?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Why would the Twins draft him next year with another season of overwork in college if they passed on him this year?
    It depends on where the Twins are picking and who is available. This year they had a choice between Buxton and Appel. I think they made the right choice. Next year the choice at #6 (or wherever they pick) might not be as good as Appel.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Their pool was highest also because each round they picked second - based entirely on their record. And as I said, in future years international signing pools will also be based on record. Another part of the new CBA does also provide for small market and low revenue teams to get additional draft picks (and hence additional pool money).

Everything you asked for is either in place or is being added to the system already.
    I completely agree and I haven't really understood the complaining about the new CBA. In previous years the Yankees/RedSox/tigers made a killing in the draft taking overslot guys even though they didn't have the best picks. It wasn't until 3-4 years ago that some of the small market teams started doing the same. Now the draft proportionately rewards the worst teams since they get the highest picks (and extra small market picks) and nobody can buy an extra first rd'er later in the draft. It sucks that the Pirates got screwed by Appel but that was the risk when they picked him. they knew he was dropping because of signability.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    "Crash and burn" isn't determined yet. It doesn't look good but, as I mentioned before, he could go higher, get more money and still make millions in his free agent contract - he's pretty young. And, since he's a pitcher, it might make more sense to get as much money now as opposed to waiting for some big free agent date down the road.
    Opposite view - since he's a pitcher, it made a lot of sense to take the money now rather than gamble on an injury free 2013 season that could cost him millions and possibly ever playing pro ball.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope he gets drafted next year, and again refuses to sign, and gets drafted the year after that, and again refuses to sign, and gets drafted the year after that...etc...

This was the year he had the most leverage - he will regret this decision.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get it. Give the Pirates some credit, they didn't let a big time agent push them into overpaying. I don't want anything to do with Appel next year, and I hope he falls even further.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I don't get it. Give the Pirates some credit, they didn't let a big time agent push them into overpaying. I don't want anything to do with Appel next year, and I hope he falls even further.
    I hope he blows out his arm, never signs a pro contract, and files a nasty lawsuit against Boras.

Future draft picks will be warned by their "advisors" that not signing carries the risk of being "appel'd".

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I hope he blows out his arm, never signs a pro contract, and files a nasty lawsuit against Boras.

Future draft picks will be warned by their "advisors" that not signing carries the risk of being "appel'd".
    Yeah, you've mentioned that you hope he blows his arm out several times already. I assume you're making this wish based on your own high standards of moral conduct.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sweet ****ing Christ man, calm down.

Did Boras and Appel kill your dog?

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Yeah, you've mentioned that you hope he blows his arm out several times already. I assume you're making this wish based on your own high standards of moral conduct.
    Im making this wish based on my belief greed is bad, Boras is a jackass, and MLB will be better when the Yankees can't use their financial might as a weapon of mass destruction.

If nearly $4m isn't enough for Appel, I hope he learns an expensive lesson, and others take note. F him.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im making this wish based on my belief greed is bad, Boras is a jackass, and MLB will be better when the Yankees can't use their financial might as a weapon of mass destruction.

If nearly $4m isn't enough for Appel, I hope he learns an expensive lesson, and others take note. F him.
    So a person maximizing his talents for compensation is greed?

We do it everday on a smaller scale but an athlete does it and you wish his career to end. My god man...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think greed gives way to stupidity here... that's just me. How much more will he make next year, and how much is it worth in terms of free agency one year sooner... and what's hte risk should he need Tommy John or something like that.

These guys coming into the league should realize Boras is the agent you hire after you dump the one you were with when you signed a pro contract.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    Appel is gambling. While I don't wish harm on anybody, if he does get hurt next year I won't feel sorry for him...hell, I'll even chuckle.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Appel is stupid for not signing. Boras and the other d-bag agents have jacking up salarys for years and they get it into these young players minds that they will make a ton of money. Boras probably had him convinced he'd be a top 3 pick and when it didn't happen, he gets upset. Really? 3.8 million isn't enough? And thats a signing bonus! Plus the Pirates would be a great team to get drafted by because they are on the upswing.

I really hope this desicion bites Appel in the ass and makes other players think twice about signing these greedy agents.
    I bent my wookie...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234