Thread: Article: Monday in the Minors

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Monday in the Minors

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I need to pretend that I did not just read that Buxton may be injured.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not really concerned about the lower minors.....but that's not going to matter for 2-3 more years.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good news from New Britain. Nice to see Hicks playing so well.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks batting .275/.365/.446
    He's been doing some fine work with the bat lately. He may be a Twin in September next year. His splits are also pretty good. .263 vs. RHP and .301 vs. LHP. It looks like a good idea to keep the switch hitting.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 07-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Hicks will be a Twin this Sept

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    as a Sept callup, this is quite possible. Gives the staff a chance to look at him a bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Hicks will be a Twin this Sept
    I understand the thinking but I would still say doubtful. There would have to be some injuries and trades for this to happen. They won't call up Hicks to have him sit on the bench for a month and I doubt they think he is ready. A year from right now is much more likely.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HIcks is certainly giving himself an opportunity to be a September call up. THe reason? He has to be added after the season anyway, so why not September? I agree that it will take at least one of the outfielders to be traded, and for the likes of Benson/Tosoni to not be healthy. Also, Oswaldo Arcia is already on the 40 man roster, so he might get a call too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I understand the thinking but I would still say doubtful. There would have to be some injuries and trades for this to happen. They won't call up Hicks to have him sit on the bench for a month and I doubt they think he is ready. A year from right now is much more likely.
    They would wait until the AA season is over so its not like he would be losing playing time by sitting on the bench with the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    They would wait until the AA season is over so its not like he would be losing playing time by sitting on the bench with the Twins.
    True, but the team still has to pay him, it burns up service time, and it prevents him from working on stuff at fall instructs.

I would still contend if he is just going to sit on the bench they are not going to call him up. That said, if Span is traded, Revere and/or Willingham are injured, and Benson and/or Tosoni are injured/still suck there would be playing time to be had and he could get a call up then. The callup is not automatic, a lot would have to happen.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    IIRC, 'Service Time' only accrues when you are on the 25-man roster. So being called up after rosters expand in September does not start your clock. Can anyone confirm this or have a different recollection?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    IIRC, 'Service Time' only accrues when you are on the 25-man roster. So being called up after rosters expand in September does not start your clock. Can anyone confirm this or have a different recollection?
    For some reaosn I thought this was wrong, but it's a good question... I don't know.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    True, but the team still has to pay him, it burns up service time, and it prevents him from working on stuff at fall instructs.

I would still contend if he is just going to sit on the bench they are not going to call him up. That said, if Span is traded, Revere and/or Willingham are injured, and Benson and/or Tosoni are injured/still suck there would be playing time to be had and he could get a call up then. The callup is not automatic, a lot would have to happen.
    I think the Twins would give him plenty of opportunities to play because the season is dead. I also think playing with an MLB team would be more beneficial than "fall instructs". That's just me though. The service time claim is false and the pay raise from purchasing his contract would be very paltry.

Senior Member All-Star
    Don't really want to argue, but if you are on the major league roster you accrue service time. I don't think that would be a significant factor for the Twins, just one of many. I think it will be a case that he isn't deemed ready and they don't want to call him up to sit on the bench.

Just because the Twins are out of the race doesn't mean they are going to suddenly bench Willingham, Span and Revere. It doesn't work that way. And I would think Benson gets first crack at a September callup. Of course, and as I said, if there are enough trades and injuries it might open up a spot for Hicks, but a lot of things would have to happen for that to occur, not the least of which is he needs to keep up this pace for the next 2 months and not hit a cold streak as he has done in the past.