Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Kyle Gibson Makes First Rehab Start

very good news.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Happy happy joy joy.

Move Span for a pitcher, pick up a decent starter in the offseason, get Gibson healthy, and this team has the makings of a non-embarrassing starting rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Additionally John Shipley reported his velocity was 91-94. I assume he threw all fastballs.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    That is great news! Go Gibson!!!
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Additionally John Shipley reported his velocity was 91-94. I assume he threw all fastballs.
    I was going to ask whether anyone had any first hand information about velocity, but I saw this. I am sure that Shipley's info is second hand the best. The only way to get velocity info for GCL games is by standing behind the table with the radar, just outside the fence where they are charting the pitches. and peek. Wonder if anyone around here did that for Gibson's appearance
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    As is written above, Shipley is getting the information from Rob Antony. I'm not certain if Antony is in Ft. Myers, but he would be the most knowledgeable person about what happened in Ft. Myers.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been completely discounting Gibson from making a contribution before two years post-surgery, if ever. So progress like this is really a welcome bit of news, which I will try to continue discounting for a while yet.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    while it's nice to see him back, let's temper things a bit... 1 inning against rookie league competition where his fastball velo looked good.... he still has a long long long way to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    while it's nice to see him back, let's temper things a bit... 1 inning against rookie league competition where his fastball velo looked good.... he still has a long long long way to go.
    No one is saying that he's ready to come up and start on Friday for the Twins. But as written, it's another step in the process, a successful step. It's the normal process, and it is good news. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Greinke, diamond, Gibson, (FA Lefty), Hendriks. Next season!! Too wishful of thinking, not if Terry can copy Chuck Fletcher!!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Wow, this is awesome that he is already throwing in live games. Even if the results were 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER I'd still be happy. The fact he looked solid on the mound is icing on the cake.

While a septemeber callup would be nice, I am pumped at the thought of him competing (and most likely earning) a spot in the rotation out of spring training next year. People seem to forget he was the #34 prospect in baseball before the injury. And though his 2011 ERA etc don't look the most impressive, his perphrials actually looked very impressive, including his increased k/rate.

I still have faith he can become a very nice #2 in the major leagues with his GB% and his improved strike out rate. A poor mans #1 isn't completely out of the question as well!

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am very happy to read this. Even a #3 starter would be a blessing next year.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchans24 View Post
    Greinke, diamond, Gibson, (FA Lefty), Hendriks. Next season!! Too wishful of thinking, not if Terry can copy Chuck Fletcher!!
    Wishful thinking, indeed. Would love to see it, though. Am I wrong in thinking the Twins payroll on the books for next year is around 65 million? I know that's without counting arbitration salaries, but that should leave quite a bit of payroll if we stay around 100 million. So.. Enough money for Greinke?

Wishful thinking...

EDIT: Yeah, just read Bonnes' recent payroll post. I was quite a bit off.
    Last edited by raindog; 07-11-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Wow, this is awesome that he is already throwing in live games. Even if the results were 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER I'd still be happy. The fact he looked solid on the mound is icing on the cake.

While a septemeber callup would be nice, I am pumped at the thought of him competing (and most likely earning) a spot in the rotation out of spring training next year. People seem to forget he was the #34 prospect in baseball before the injury. And though his 2011 ERA etc don't look the most impressive, his perphrials actually looked very impressive, including his increased k/rate.

I still have faith he can become a very nice #2 in the major leagues with his GB% and his improved strike out rate. A poor mans #1 isn't completely out of the question as well!
    Yes, I do hope he returns to the top 100 in the near future, and while his peripherals were excellent, he needed more time in the minors. Instead he lost that to TJ. The Twins would be wise to plan on him spending 2013 in Rochester to get used to piching again and to get a bit more polish. Expecting him to start in Minnesota in 2013 is not wise. Yes, he could prove me wrong, but I'd say the odds are not in favor of him doing so.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    If the Twins don't sign a big name free agent pitcher, and it's likely they will not, they are going to get so much pressure from the fan base to bring up Gibson. Unless he's dominating AAA, I hope they don't cave, but barring a setback, I doubt they will be able to resist a callup any later than the All-Star break 2013.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-11-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think an innings limit for Gibson next year would be a good plan.

I just keep hoping Grienke will want to stay in a smaller market and the Twins will do something out of character for not one of there own!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    today, Gibson .2 IP 2h/R/BB/Solo HR

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Why would it be good to have him in Rochester next year? He was ready this year, probably, pre-injury. Now he'll do rehab for almost half a year. Why wait another year, if he's ready?
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast